June 24, 2018, 08:18:50 PM

Author Topic: Want to Increase The Dynamic Range of Your EOS 5D Mark IV Raw Files?  (Read 14187 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
Re: Want to Increase The Dynamic Range of Your EOS 5D Mark IV Raw Files?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 01:26:07 AM »
I tried Photomatix using the free Demo.

It is close to doing the adjustment in lightroom by pushing the auto tome button.  I really like the result.  There is a slight ghosting around the trees, I think a skilled user could eliminate that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 01:26:07 AM »

Lucidmike78

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »
I did some landscape type shots with my 16-35 F4 IS at f8.  After Photomerge, the sky and the clouds looked incredible.  Much better than using a CPL and or Clarity slider in Lightroom.  There is something to this Dual Pixel RAW tool.  I'm looking forward to playing with it.

tiggy@mac.com

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • 5D4, 1DX
    • Forest Metrix
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 10:19:38 AM »
Hey, thanks for posting those real results. It looks like there's really something to it, if you use the right software, and you spend a gob of time on it. For the once-in-lifetime shot that needs saving, well worth it. Love this forum exactly because people like Mt Spokane add real data to the mix. Appreciate it!

ritholtz

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 10:35:09 AM »
Hey, thanks for posting those real results. It looks like there's really something to it, if you use the right software, and you spend a gob of time on it. For the once-in-lifetime shot that needs saving, well worth it. Love this forum exactly because people like Mt Spokane add real data to the mix. Appreciate it!
Can canon implement this merging feature into their firmware?
70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
I tried Photomatix using the free Demo.

It is close to doing the adjustment in lightroom by pushing the auto tome button.  I really like the result.  There is a slight ghosting around the trees, I think a skilled user could eliminate that.

photomatix has been my go-to software for this for years.

I may give auroaHDR a try but it will take alot for me to get rid of photomatix.

I think the trick for this is use TIFFS..

take the regular exposure - leave alone.
take the -1EV exposure .. adjust for highlight clipping
blend exposures.

using DPRAW is HTP on steroids.

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »
Hey, thanks for posting those real results. It looks like there's really something to it, if you use the right software, and you spend a gob of time on it.

it's really not that much work really.  and even though it doubles the size of the RAW if you are shooting a wedding,etc or something with alot of white, it just may save you by giving you that additional exposure.

JP4DESIGNZ

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Jesse Patterson Photography
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »
After playing around with the software, I finally have a use for DPRAW!  I love how quick and simple the extraction process is and even though my 5D4 gives me all the dynamic range I need 95% of the time, this can be very useful for extra cushion when needed.

I thought I'd experiment to see if I could still gain more room in the highlights if I max out all of my settings.  The images in the link were all shot with the following settings:

ISO: 50 (First 2 Images) & 100 (Last 2 Images)
F/Stop: 22
Shutter Speed: 1/8000
Link to Images: https://goo.gl/UWVrwh

The images were photographed using my Canon 24-70mm 2.8L II.  I used my Godox AD200 to flash light on a door.  As I see, you'll still gain extra room in the highlights even if you max out everything however, if you bring the highlights all the way down in Lightroom, I see a strange green glow in the hotspot of the extracted .DNG files.  I'm not a scientist on how sensors act when using extended ISOs like ISO 50 however, from what I shot, I see less wiggle room in the highlights as I do with using ISO 100.  What is everyone's thoughts on this?  Feel free to play with the files and let me know if you find anything else interesting.

Either way, I can see myself using DPRAW on shoots where I'm a tad more concerned about the highlights.  Neat stuff!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:20:44 PM by JP4DESIGNZ »
5D4 | 5DS R | Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 VC | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 85mm f/1.4L IS | Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 | Lots of Flashpoint (Godox) Gear

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
I'm not seeing anything groundbreaking.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

JP4DESIGNZ

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Jesse Patterson Photography
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 02:36:13 PM »
I also uploaded 2 pics of a church nearby using DPRSplit.
https://goo.gl/UWVrwh
5D4 | 5DS R | Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 VC | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 85mm f/1.4L IS | Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 | Lots of Flashpoint (Godox) Gear

aceflibble

• EOS 80D
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 03:33:14 PM »
What I'm seeing from y'all testing is a lot of overestimating what 1 stop difference in dynamic range looks like.

And heads up, if you're comparing it to the recovery sliders in Lightroom, bear in mind that the LR sliders at 100% typically work out to be 2-2.5 stops. (Exactly how much depends on the file in question; neither slider can be measured in hard stops and they don't scale in a linear fashion). So if you can match that with this methodology, that means you're able to push this further than the initial 1-stop claim. (Which isn't surprising because usually combining two images which are 1 stop apart in exposure does usually work out to equal about 1.5 stops of added range, as the dynamic range of each exposure doesn't simply scale up/down linearly, either.)

tl;dr version: This appears to work, parallax aside. I'd agree with anybody who says they don't see the point because it's more effort than simply using recovery sliders for basically the same end result, but I don't agree with anybody who isn't impressed that this can work, or suggests it doesn't work. Getting 1 stop or more recoverable data isn't to be sniffed at.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 04:14:07 PM »
(
I also uploaded 2 pics of a church nearby using DPRSplit.
https://goo.gl/UWVrwh

Neither exposure is blowing highlights so the differences are not realizable.

Here is both frames adjusted in LR to optimal, they are essentially the same. The second screen shot is the before after of the image with the higher exposure, nothing is blown.

To be sure the only way you can realize any benefit from this Dual Pixel ability is if you ETTR and the 'normal' exposure blows highlights and the 'secondary' exposure doesn't, then you can realize the 1 stop more range in those non-blown highlights from the secondary frame.

Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

cgc

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 07:19:35 PM »
I think that the current DPRAW implementation by Canon has not the properties required for a job requiring critical quality. Beyond than blending issues there are other artifacts which can be noticeable:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1453555/0

For example, take a photo of a evenly illuminated white wall and look at the -1EV exposed frame: its lighting levels won't be uniform (a side will be brighter than the other):

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1447974/3&year=2016#13705105

Pax2You

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 09:12:12 PM »
I originally tried combining the posted files (thank you by the way) using an hdr merge in Affinity but I had ghosting with the automatic alignment and artifacts when I tried the "remove ghosting" option. So I took a different route. I did an image stack and chose "Mean". This created a more realistic exposure merge. I then manually aligned the image before exporting as a Tiff then tweaking in LR 5.7. You can definitely see the offset between the images. I didn't sharpen at all and didn't do more than basic processing. This method gave me no apparent haloing or artifacts. Interesting....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 09:12:12 PM »

mclaren777

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 12:00:42 AM »
Quick test...

Thank you for testing this out.

EzDingo

• Canonflex
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 12:07:56 AM »
NP... As the original article mentions [IF] any part of the image is actually clipped then there is about 1 stop of extra highlight detail to be had from the dual pixel alternate frame. Trying to process these 2 frames in a HDR method does not seem logical to me compared with direct masking back in some extra highlights if required.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 12:07:56 AM »