July 16, 2018, 12:27:45 AM

Author Topic: Here are the Results From Our Poll Regarding Camera Innovation Perception at Canon  (Read 7266 times)

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
I think it is the nature of this hobby. I'm just wondering how Talys knows me. Scary.  ;)

hahahahaha! 8)

touché!

In hindsight, I regret buying boatloads of cheap EF lenses from Canon and almost every third party vendor that mostly made their way into Christmas presents (along with a T5i, LOL).

I bought a 70D also, but still have and use it (though only in my basement studio).  It takes amazing shots, and because I "grew up" on crop bodies, I'm more used to them in terms of picking the right lens to get the perspective/composition that I'm looking for than I am with full frame.  I've only recently taken that dive with 6D2, which I'm very happy with.

I'm slowly getting there though, and I have no doubt that at some point I'll be mostly FF.

canon rumors FORUM

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
I think it is the nature of this hobby. I'm just wondering how Talys knows me. Scary.  ;)

hahahahaha! 8)

touché!

In hindsight, I regret buying boatloads of cheap EF lenses from Canon and almost every third party vendor that mostly made their way into Christmas presents (along with a T5i, LOL).

I bought a 70D also, but still have and use it (though only in my basement studio).  It takes amazing shots, and because I "grew up" on crop bodies, I'm more used to them in terms of picking the right lens to get the perspective/composition that I'm looking for than I am with full frame.  I've only recently taken that dive with 6D2, which I'm very happy with.

I'm slowly getting there though, and I have no doubt that at some point I'll be mostly FF.

I think this just goes to show how different people can be.
I bought an 1100D, kept reading about how awesome Full Frame is, bought a used 5D2, then traded it away after less than a year.
For my purposes the cheapest body that Canon has ever made is still effectively superior, that summer when I had both I just kept leaving the 5D2 at home and I couldn’t stand to think about how much I wasn’t using it.
My biggest regret is not getting a 6D instead of the 5D2, given that it’s lighter and smaller (and it has wi-fi), I may have been perfectly content with a 6D.

dak723

• EOS 5DS R

hahahahaha! 8)

touché!

I think this just goes to show how different people can be.
I bought an 1100D, kept reading about how awesome Full Frame is, bought a used 5D2, then traded it away after less than a year.
For my purposes the cheapest body that Canon has ever made is still effectively superior, that summer when I had both I just kept leaving the 5D2 at home and I couldn’t stand to think about how much I wasn’t using it.
My biggest regret is not getting a 6D instead of the 5D2, given that it’s lighter and smaller (and it has wi-fi), I may have been perfectly content with a 6D.

What camera works best for an individual depends on so many factors - perhaps most importantly - what do you shoot and how do you view (or what size do you print) your photos.

The 6D is a great camera and I had one for about 4 years.  You can probably pick on up for a good price now.  As for me, I found that a crop camera (the M5) gave me results that were just as good for a cheaper price and more importantly - much reduced size and weight.  I shoot in daylight and outdoors and rarely print over 8 x 10 inches.  The same shots taken with my 6D and my M5 were indistinguishable from one another, so the 6D (somewhat regrettably) was sold on Ebay and the M5 is now my primary camera.  If I shot a lot indoors and low light - and printed larger - The 6D would definitely be my choice.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
What camera works best for an individual depends on so many factors - perhaps most importantly - what do you shoot and how do you view (or what size do you print) your photos.

The 6D is a great camera and I had one for about 4 years.  You can probably pick on up for a good price now.  As for me, I found that a crop camera (the M5) gave me results that were just as good for a cheaper price and more importantly - much reduced size and weight.  I shoot in daylight and outdoors and rarely print over 8 x 10 inches.  The same shots taken with my 6D and my M5 were indistinguishable from one another, so the 6D (somewhat regrettably) was sold on Ebay and the M5 is now my primary camera.  If I shot a lot indoors and low light - and printed larger - The 6D would definitely be my choice.

That's an excellent point.

Until I became more interested in birds in flight, full frame was just not a big deal.  Even though higher ISO was inferior on crop, it was something I rarely encountered because I'd augment light; I don't think I shot over ISO 640 for years.  But you can't do that out in the wild, or at least not very easily :D  So, to get the 1/2000 - 4000 shutter speeds, especially in good but non-ideal conditions, I really wanted a full frame camera, but held off until Canon popped a flippy screen model (not that I need it for birds; for other purposes).

Frankly, the 6D2 is very nearly everything I want from a camera, just like the 100-400LII is very nearly everything I want from a birding lens.  It would be nice to have more resolution, because that would allow shooting subjects a little further away on a comfortable, handheld lens.

Eventually, when I get a super tele, I would like 2 FF bodies, so that I set up at a location, and have one on a gimbal and one that I shoot handheld.  Or, if the 7D3 is truly amazing in ability to resolve ISOs up to 3200, perhaps that would be a consideration.

But at the end of the day, I'm at the point in equipment where I will not get visibly better shots out of a better sensor.  Mostly, that's going to require better composition/lighting/direction for one type of photography, and better field skills for the other.  And more time for photography, which no amount of gear can give me :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 05:11:15 PM by Talys »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
Apparently Canon has listened, and released the 4000D!
The best camera is the one in your hands

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK

With a seriously innovative 18 MP sensor!   ;D
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Bipolar. When it is happening I don't realize it.

With a seriously innovative 18 MP sensor!   ;D

Yes. It would have been more innovative had they listed it as an XVIII MP sensor. ;)
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 36x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

canon rumors FORUM