June 21, 2018, 06:58:52 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M50 & Canon Speedlite 470EX AI To Be Announced February 26, 2018 in Most Places  (Read 7929 times)

bludragon

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
The C-RAW format is 40% smaller in file size than conventional RAW, and it corresponds to in – camera RAW
Development and digital lens optimize

this is all once sentence, not two points.

Thanks, I was wondering what that 2nd part meant, but makes sense as one sentance.

I'm guessing there is a typo in the 104 million dots point as well.  It should probably be 1.04 million otherwise this will be the first camera with a display that out-resolves the sensor :-D

canon rumors FORUM

MayaTlab

• EOS Rebel SL2
The decision to use a 24MP sensor, kind of leads me to think you'll get a crop though, I *REALLY* wouldn't get your hopes up on that.

Maybe they've finally managed to produce a BSI sensor or something with a similar potential for fast readout.

They can't wait much longer to get on top of that anyway as their mirrorless cameras won't go far without it.

BSI changes zip for readout speed.

That's not what Nikon has to say about it : https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d850/nikon-d850TECH1.HTM

Besides it seems to be a prerequisite for stacked sensors.

it's not a sensor stack really doesn't depend on what surface you join the substrates to. canon has both BSI and non BSI stacked sensor applications as an example.

also .. nikon went BSI: "rather to give more flexibility in the chip's wiring" which is what BSI allows you to do.

Let's restore the quote in its full glory, shall we ? "the reason wasn't to provide better low-light performance (its pixels are big enough that there's not much gain in ISO speed by moving the wiring to the back of the chip), but rather to give more flexibility in the chip's wiring, to achieve the high speed they were after."

Just like you I doubt that we'll see progress in that area with the M50. But who knows ? Maybe they'll move quicker in that area than I anticipate.

Diltiazem

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
The decision to use a 24MP sensor, kind of leads me to think you'll get a crop though, I *REALLY* wouldn't get your hopes up on that.

Maybe they've finally managed to produce a BSI sensor or something with a similar potential for fast readout.

They can't wait much longer to get on top of that anyway as their mirrorless cameras won't go far without it.

BSI unlikely. They would have mentioned BSI instead of just saying APS-C CMOS sensor.

t3eye

• Canonflex
Not that I want to be pessimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if it only had 4K in time lapse, like the 6D mark II.

I was initially worried they put one of their super 35 or 1" cinema camera sensors in the M50, but now I think time lapse makes more sense.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:32:55 PM by t3eye »

scrup

• EOS M5
    • Free Hosting
Not that I want to be pessimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if it only had 4K in time lapse, like the 6D mark II.

I was initially worried they put one of their super 35 or 1" cinema camera sensors in the M50, but now I think time lapse makes more sense.

Oh god, that would flip the community off. I have a fake go pro that can do 4k at 15fps, but i wouldn't call it a 4k camera. Marketing that is borderline misleading

Quarkcharmed

• PowerShot G1 X II

4K is something everybody claims they need desperately but only little percentage of customers actually use. I realise some people want it and it's fine, but I'm not vlogging and I don't care much about 4K.

I look into having a secondary lightweight  backup camera, so I do care about dynamic range and the quality of optics I can potentially mount on it (I have good EF lenses).  From a camera I expect something that makes it better than my phone, and it's the image quality.

So the DR will be crucial if I choose between 200D and this new 50M. If it has DR worse than 200D, I don't buy it.
Canon 5D MkIV, EF 24-70 f2.8L II, EF 16-32 f4L IS, EF 70-200 f2.8L II IS, EF 50 f1.8 STM

meho1a

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II

4K is something everybody claims they need desperately but only little percentage of customers actually use. I realise some people want it and it's fine, but I'm not vlogging and I don't care much about 4K.

I look into having a secondary lightweight  backup camera, so I do care about dynamic range and the quality of optics I can potentially mount on it (I have good EF lenses).  From a camera I expect something that makes it better than my phone, and it's the image quality.

So the DR will be crucial if I choose between 200D and this new 50M. If it has DR worse than 200D, I don't buy it.

I don’t know about you but I usually buy electronic stuff (mobile, camera, TV,…) for longer period of time. I don’t buy new stuff at every refresh cycle. So if I would by camera at this time, I would certainly make sure that the camera and the gadgets on it would last for at least few years. Since 4K TVs and monitors have already become quite affordable I would expect that video capabilities of the camera would at least follow the trend in other segments. So I definitely hope that this camera does at least some kind of 4K video and not just timelaps.
Look at your mobile phone. Do you need all the gadgets on it or you just buy it with everything included just to be sure that you don’t miss anything?

At the end I am a buyer that wants as much as possible for as low budget as possible, regardless what I really need.

canon rumors FORUM

JohanCruyff

• EOS 80D
1) DIGIC 8,
2) Some kind of 4K,
3) faster AF,
4) viewfinder:
5) new RAW format,
6) available in white  :o
Overall, the M50 seems better than the M6 (unless the new sensor is 6D Mark II style: old technology in a new release).
The M6 should be better from an ergonomic point of view only (more dials)... if the rumor is true, i think that the M6 will disappear from Canon's offering: M5, M50 and M100 seems quite a wide range of cameras.

I could buy one for my wife's birthday (in July), in order to replace her G12.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:15:36 AM by JohanCruyff »
Italian amateur. Gear: 6D, M6, various lenses.
My Android Trivia App for Music/Movie Experts: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=threeviasoftware.threevia&hl=en

crashpc

• EOS 80D
I would LMAO if they used M3 sensor or something like that.

JohanCruyff

• EOS 80D
Breaking News from Nokishita!
http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/02/eos-m50_22.html
  • "pupil detection" AF (better than Sony's "eye AF"?)
  • DPAF performance improvenents: Enlarged AF Area (100% vertical & 88% horizontal), 143 zones
  • 4k @ 25 FPS
  • 387 grams in black, 390 grams in White  :o
  • LP-E12 battery  :(
My Android Trivia App for Music/Movie Experts: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=threeviasoftware.threevia&hl=en

okaro

• EOS Rebel T7i

The M6 should be better from an ergonomic point of view only (more dials)... if the rumor is true, i think that the M6 will disappear from Canon's offering: M5, M50 and M100 seems quite a wide range of cameras.

I doubt, there are people who want a better camera but do not care the extra size and price that the viewfinder causes.

JohanCruyff

• EOS 80D

I doubt, there are people who want a better camera but do not care the extra size and price that the viewfinder causes.

I understand your point: being a DSLR_user, I instinctively tend to look for the viewfinder even when using my M6 mirrorless... but most of the Mobile_phone_users will appreciate the lack of it.

Sharlin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Breaking News from Nokishita!
http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/02/eos-m50_22.html

So just a single dial (excluding the mode dial). I'd have expected them to retain at least one more.

I guess "Frame cutout from 4K movie is possible" might mean it's still MJPEG. Which would cause some head explosions on the internet.

Otherwise, looks great and bodes well for future higher-end bodies.

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK

I understand your point: being a DSLR_user, I instinctively tend to look for the viewfinder even when using my M6 mirrorless... but most of the Mobile_phone_users will appreciate the lack of it.

I appreciate the lack of the VF for the smaller body size, that's why I chose the M6 over the M5.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

bsbeamer

• EOS 80D
For those interested, some are reporting 4K@25p.  Would assume that is for PAL and 30p would be available for NTSC.

canon rumors FORUM