October 22, 2014, 08:40:30 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III/X Variation & New Flagship Speedlite? [CR1]  (Read 21657 times)

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III/X Variation & New Flagship Speedlite? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »
As low as that? 1600-1800? I doubt it following what was discussed earlier on this platform. If so: what about 2,2k for this body and 3k for the rumored second (46MP) cam? Although a member here mentioned that it is unlikely for Canon to adapt to Nikon's price tags. So: the 5Dx 3k and the 5Diii 3,6 k? I am not much into marketing. just my 2 cents then.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 07:41:55 AM »
This is the most sensible rumour about a 5D2 replacement that will also replace the 7D.

Improved weather sealing, fine. 1D4 AF - also fine - just so long as it's better than what is currently in use on the 5D2.

Those features couple with 22mp would certainly lead to a spec sheet they could pull in at the £2200 price range or less. It really would be nice if they could add that dual card slot as well.

As for reduction in price? Why would they? £2200 on release will soon drop to under £2k on the streets once demand has been met. A baby 1DX for under half the price of the 1DX will please a lot of 7D users and 5D2 users wanting to upgrade.

I can almost here the kerching of the cash registers as this camera flies out the door  8)

What if you were spot on?  8) by then the high MP body would be how much?
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 08:00:35 AM »
Heres something that seems feasible. If they are re using the AF from the 1Dmk4 and the body from the 7D for the 5D3 (similar to the leaked pics) could this possibly them mean that we end up with a cheaper body.

Not possible. 

First - The 7D body/sensor/mirror/penta-prism are all built around a small APS-C sensor you can't just throw a FF system into a 7D body. 

Second - You can't just take the 1D4's (APS-H) Auto Focus and use it for a FF sensor, you'd lose a lot of the spread needed for an effective AF system. In other words the AF points would be confined to a shorter/narrower section of the sensor than they should be.

briansquibb

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 08:01:44 AM »
There was a clamour for the 7D AF and now the 1D4 AF is on the horizon everyone is after the 1DX AF - no pleasing people ::) ::)

briansquibb

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 08:03:20 AM »
Heres something that seems feasible. If they are re using the AF from the 1Dmk4 and the body from the 7D for the 5D3 (similar to the leaked pics) could this possibly them mean that we end up with a cheaper body.

Not possible. 

First - The 7D body/sensor/mirror/penta-prism are all built around a small APS-C sensor you can't just throw a FF system into a 7D body. 

Second - You can't just take the 1D4's (APS-H) Auto Focus and use it for a FF sensor, you'd lose a lot of the spread needed for an effective AF system. In other words the AF points would be confined to a shorter/narrower section of the sensor than they should be.

Perhaps it is the 1Ds3 AF which is close.

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 08:09:52 AM »
  I personally doubt they'll be using the 1D4 system, they'd still have to redesign it from the ground up for a FF sensor anyway. I think it's much more likely that it will get a less robust version of the 1DXs 61 point. In that way they can increase the economy of scale by using essentially the same AF system in their entire FF line up.

No need to redesign anything. The APS-H 1D shared the same 45-pt AF module with the FF 1Ds from Marks I-III. So by extension utilizing the APS-H Mark IV AF module on an FF model would be a simple drop-in as well.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
5D3 with 1dmark4 AF-sounds for my like selling my gear definitely and switching to Nikon finally. I wait with my Canon gear for better information. I heard a lot and read a lot about 1d AF, there's no match for even Nikon d700. Hope that's not true. I am really pissed about this AF problems in Canon. If they finally do something better and reliable in sport and studio I will stay, otherwise goodbye. Think a lot about this and that;s my decision maker
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »

Rex Canon Shooter

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »
Ugh  didn't the 1d MK IV have issues focusing in low light.  I shoot weddings hope this  isn't true.  :-\

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
Is it just me or the latest rumors that mention specs are all reflecting topics that were just discussed on the forums?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »
  I personally doubt they'll be using the 1D4 system, they'd still have to redesign it from the ground up for a FF sensor anyway. I think it's much more likely that it will get a less robust version of the 1DXs 61 point. In that way they can increase the economy of scale by using essentially the same AF system in their entire FF line up.

No need to redesign anything. The APS-H 1D shared the same 45-pt AF module with the FF 1Ds from Marks I-III. So by extension utilizing the APS-H Mark IV AF module on an FF model would be a simple drop-in as well.

Ummm...no.  The fact that they all have 45 points doesn't mean they're the same sensor, any more than the fact that both xxD and xxxD have 9-pt AF means they're the same.  In the case of the 1D IV vs. 1DsIII, although the 1D IV has a slightly wider spread relative to the total frame, it's physically a smaller sensor. So, if you just dropped it into a FF camera, it wouldn't have nearly as wide a spread. 

Granted, they could drop the 1D IV AF into a new 5-series body, and it would still have better coverage than the pathetic spread of the 5D/5DII AF points.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

vlim

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
Ugh  didn't the 1d MK IV have issues focusing in low light

I've guided a wildlife photographer in the lowland neotropical forests of Costa Rica, he had a 500 f/4 L IS and a 1D mark IV, he never had that problem, routinely shooting between 1600 and 2500 ISO with great results !
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:39:15 AM by vlim »

marinien

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »

Do you have any idea of what you are talking about? My 1D IIN has the same AF system as the 1Ds II, and yes, the 1D has more AF sensor coverage than the 1Ds.
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »
I have to wonder if they're saying 'using the 1dIV AF system' is just an easier way of saying you aren't getting 61 points like the 1dx.

And lets be real here, someone mentioned an absurdly low price, like, $500 less the the current new price of the 5dmkii - Canon is already proving people are and willing to spend $2500 on a 3+ year old body with a crappy AF system.  Following that logic, even if all they did was an upgrade to a 7D like AF system, with better weather sealing, that alone would justify a more than the current model starting price.  And if it does have higher ISO, better DR, then yeah, you have a $3000 body, one that has enough upgrades to make it worth it, but, doesn't undercut the 1dx.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »

marinien

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 10:00:04 AM »

Ummm...no.  The fact that they all have 45 points doesn't mean they're the same sensor, any more than the fact that both xxD and xxxD have 9-pt AF means they're the same.  In the case of the 1D IV vs. 1DsIII, although the 1D IV has a slightly wider spread relative to the total frame, it's physically a smaller sensor. So, if you just dropped it into a FF camera, it wouldn't have nearly as wide a spread. 

Granted, they could drop the 1D IV AF into a new 5-series body, and it would still have better coverage than the pathetic spread of the 5D/5DII AF points.

What you said may be true with the 1D IV and the 1Ds III. However, the older 1D and 1Ds have the same AF sensor size of 8x15mm (hope that I am not wrong here  ;))
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

Rex Canon Shooter

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »
Ugh  didn't the 1d MK IV have issues focusing in low light

I've guided a wildlife photographer in the lowland neotropical forests of Costa Rica, he had a 500 f/4 L IS and a 1D mark IV, he never had that problem, routinely shooting between 1600 and 2500 ISO with great results !

Well thats good.  For some reason I thought I remember hearing the 1d Mk IV focused more poorly in the dark in comparison to the 5D Mk II's center point.  I have the 5D MK II and a 7D and I am really excited about a new AF system in the new 5D just need its AF  to perform well in low light.  May have to cough up the cash for a 1DX.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »