May 23, 2018, 11:20:21 AM

Author Topic: CANON VS SONY A7III  (Read 6738 times)

johnf3f

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 1Dx
Re: CANON VS SONY A7III
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 09:21:51 PM »
Does anyone know if Canon are working on anything to compete with  the a7iii? - No idea.

Does anyone know if Sony are working on anything to compete with Canon? - not at the moment!

So you don’t know what Canon is working on, but you know what Sony is not working on?

My only sources are what Sony tell us and the odd leak (?) + what they are actually producing - I rest my case...

I take the OP as asking about what they (Canon) are developing, not what they’re currently producing. Only someone with inside information could rest that case ;)

Hee Hee - good point! ;)
Canon 1DX, 7D2, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2, 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 L IS Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Holga Pinhole lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 09:21:51 PM »

Orangutan

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 10:00:58 PM »
Sure, and butterflies flapping their wings in the Peking harbor cause Atlantic hurricanes.

Peking harbor?

Well, it's been Beijing for several decades now.  But I'm old.  :P
Also that the port is named not for Beijing, but for Tianjin.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 01:01:27 AM »
Does anyone know if Canon are working on anything to compete with  the a7iii? - No idea.

Does anyone know if Sony are working on anything to compete with Canon? - not at the moment!

So you don’t know what Canon is working on, but you know what Sony is not working on?

I am pretty sure that Sony isn't working on a DSLR -- and that's what I really want :D

3kramd5

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 01:42:47 AM »

I am pretty sure that Sony isn't working on a DSLR -- and that's what I really want :D

I bet they will release another in the a99 or a77 series. SLR doesn’t strictly speaking require the R to move :P

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 04:02:12 AM »

I bet they will release another in the a99 or a77 series. SLR doesn’t strictly speaking require the R to move :P

hahaha :D

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »
Sure, and butterflies flapping their wings in the Peking harbor cause Atlantic hurricanes.

Peking harbor?

It's still Peking University as well as Peking Duck. But, as this is a Canadian site, it should be harbour.
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

CanonFanBoy

• I like cheap wine and even cheaper women.
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »

Peking harbor?

It's still Peking University as well as Peking Duck. But, as this is a Canadian site, it should be harbour.

My God! The Canadians have internet? MAGA  ::) ::) ::)
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 09:40:01 PM »

Peking harbor?

My God! The Canadians have internet? MAGA  ::) ::) ::)

I'm a Canadian, originally from that part of the world :)  In Mandarin, Peking Duck sounds like "Beijing Yah" :D

For any who care, the name in Chinese never changed; the two characters forming the name of the city literally mean "Northern Capital" (as opposed to Nanjing = Southern Capital), and have been so for a very long time.  Europeans called it that, because when the Spanish first went to China, they went through the south, where the local dialect enunciated it a little differently.

In other news, many of my American friends are jealous of our relatively cheap Internet... as we are often jealous of the better American cell phone plans :D   

Takingshots

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 09:20:47 PM »

Peking harbor?

Several decades ..haha try 39 years ago... Probably having one too many peking ducks causing indigestion. Still in denial that Sony A7iii outranks Canon 6D mk ii specwise (still & video) with respect to price when 6D mk ii first launched.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 12:01:44 AM »
Probably having one too many peking ducks causing indigestion. Still in denial that Sony A7iii outranks Canon 6D mk ii specwise (still & video) with respect to price when 6D mk ii first launched.

Many Sony ILCs have 'outranked specwise' their Canon counterparts, yet the Canon counterparts still seem to outsell Sony.  Maybe that's because spec sheets take lousy pictures.  Sorry if that upsets your tummy.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

Takingshots

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 08:31:22 AM »
Probably having one too many peking ducks causing indigestion. Still in denial that Sony A7iii outranks Canon 6D mk ii specwise (still & video) with respect to price when 6D mk ii first launched.
LOL - plz review articles while the camera is in the process field tested by people who have the camera... but then there r some of us what is good today is good enough (acceptable) with Canon innovation. Don't get me wrong. I love Canon camera but then competition is good.  Canon 6d mk ii is marked down lower than its original 2k$.

Many Sony ILCs have 'outranked specwise' their Canon counterparts, yet the Canon counterparts still seem to outsell Sony.  Maybe that's because spec sheets take lousy pictures.  Sorry if that upsets your tummy.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 10:03:09 AM »
LOL - plz review articles while the camera is in the process field tested by people who have the camera... but then there r some of us what is good today is good enough (acceptable) with Canon innovation.

Read reviews?  I guess some people like to let others tell them what is best...personally, I prefer to make my own decisions.

Next time, try responding to the issue raised – you claim Sony has better specs, but Canon FF ILCs outsell Sony FF ILCs, so more people are choosing Canon.  Clearly, spec lists aren't everything, nor even the most important thing, for most people.  Or maybe the specs you care about (i.e., the ones that Internet reviewers have told you are important) aren't actually all that important to most buyers.

Ps.  Maybe you should read some Internet reviews on how to post on the internet, it seems you find it difficult to properly format your posts.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

jayphotoworks

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 10:41:24 AM »
LOL - plz review articles while the camera is in the process field tested by people who have the camera... but then there r some of us what is good today is good enough (acceptable) with Canon innovation.

Read reviews?  I guess some people like to let others tell them what is best...personally, I prefer to make my own decisions.

Next time, try responding to the issue raised – you claim Sony has better specs, but Canon FF ILCs outsell Sony FF ILCs, so more people are choosing Canon.  Clearly, spec lists aren't everything, nor even the most important thing, for most people.  Or maybe the specs you care about (i.e., the ones that Internet reviewers have told you are important) aren't actually all that important to most buyers.

Ps.  Maybe you should read some Internet reviews on how to post on the internet, it seems you find it difficult to properly format your posts.

We rely on internet reviewers because they have spent time reviewing equipment in orders of magnitude more than most of us here combined across multiple manufacturers. I've gone from Canon to Nikon to Leica to Fuji to Olympus to Panasonic to Sony not to mention the various cinema systems I've used and I still haven't scratched the surface. Reviewers review the merits of the equipment and not brand recognition, perceived reliability, pro programs or market share. If those things are important, and buyers choose Canon because of that, that doesn't diminish the fact that the Sony A7III has outspecced the equivalent Canon offering today and has a more capable camera in the same price bracket. Disagreeing or using the market share hammer as an all-encompassing statement has no relevance in that discussion at all.

I try a lot of different systems to learn about the strengths and weaknesses of each. In fact, learning and re-learning different systems from DSLRs to mirrorless allows me to better use what mirrorless is strong at instead of shooting the same old way I would shoot a DSLR. I was originally a Canon fanboy many years ago, but over the years as I cross over into different brands, the less I really felt about which system was truly best as they all have their own corresponding compromises. As an overall system, Sony does a lot right, but it still doesn't quite have the immediacy of existing flagship DSLRs. It seems the people that have had the least amount of experience with competitive systems have the largest voices around here criticizing Sony. It reminds me of an article I read recently about the "Dunning-Kruger" effect. The less someone knows, the more they feel they know.... and that sums up a lot of the discussions around here.

But then again, this is the internet, and you cannot really say anything that doesn't trigger someone in some capacity anymore... I'm probably just as guilty of that...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 10:41:24 AM »

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 11:54:39 AM »
It seems the people that have had the least amount of experience with competitive systems have the largest voices around here criticizing Sony. It reminds me of an article I read recently about the "Dunning-Kruger" effect. The less someone knows, the more they feel they know.... and that sums up a lot of the discussions around here.

Funny.  I spent about a month shooting nothing but a Sony A7R3, taking more than 7,000 photos.  I walked away having a far worse impression of Sony than I did going in, because so many of the "features" felt incomplete, and since Sony doesn't really do feature upgrades via firmware, the entire camera just feels like another unfinished beta camera that is an invitation to buy an A7R4.

I also never fell in love with EVF, though I must admit the current version in A9/A7R3 is much better than the previous ones.  Still, the only thing I really miss from it is MF focus magnification.

Then again, perhaps I am simply not Sony's target market: I don't really like my camera bodies small, because most of my lenses are > 900g; I don't really have problems getting correct exposures, so EVF is simply less valuable in that way; I don't photograph events where face tracking or human tracking is very important; I don't care about video; top notch, on-camera and off-camera flash system is are very important to me; and the most challenging things that I shoot requires the fastest autofocus possible (birds in flight).

An annoyance that makes it impossible for the Sony to become my primary camera is that the ability to focus with just modelling lights is pretty crappy.  I'm talking about reasonably bright ones, too, like out of a Godox AD600 Pro or an Elinchrom through some modifier.  I'm not saying that it is unworkable; just that it's horribly slow compared to a DSLR, and in this scenario (in a studio), provides zero benefit over a DSLR.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 12:00:16 PM by Talys »

Mikehit

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 12:21:46 PM »

We rely on internet reviewers because they have spent time reviewing equipment in orders of magnitude more than most of us here combined across multiple manufacturers.

I am rather more cynical about reviews. More and more are people who have a blog page that needs viewing numbers and they review articles not out of any particular brand hype but because that is what brings people to the site. And most of them have the camera for a very short period of time and as such their reviews are more about what the spec sheet says and trying out the functionality that the camera is introducing.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and I want to make that quite clear.

But one thing you cannot assess in that time is how does it feel to carry it round for days, how does it feel after shooting wedding for 5 hours or lugging around the streets of London. The ease of finger movements to change your favourite settings - this especially is where smaller size versus real estate comes in. And real-world thing like do the extra 1.5 stops of DR really matter in your normal workflow once the excitement settles down (sometimes it does, sometimes you have to bracket anyway).

Problem is it takes time  to learn which reviewers are offering genuine real-world ergonomic reviews and which ones are weekend-with-a-camera to see how the latest gizmos impress you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 12:21:46 PM »