May 23, 2018, 01:45:42 AM

Author Topic: Battery door open = flat battery!!  (Read 3674 times)

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • I like cheap wine and even cheaper women.
Re: Battery door open = flat battery!!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 06:57:02 PM »
The OP should try it again with a battery he knows for a fact is charged. Could be it never charged to begin with.
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 06:57:02 PM »

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 08:05:57 PM »
The OP should try it again with a battery he knows for a fact is charged. Could be it never charged to begin with.

Occam's razor.  +1

snoke

• EOS M5
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 07:15:20 PM »
Yes! Proof!

Test battery in camera. 74%.

Remove battery.

Put battery in camera. Not close door.

Many hour later, close door. Check battery.

Now 59%

!!!

Ian_of_glos

• EOS M5
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 02:48:08 AM »
Yes! Proof!

Test battery in camera. 74%.

Remove battery.

Put battery in camera. Not close door.

Many hour later, close door. Check battery.

Now 59%

!!!

A couple of questions:
1) what happens if you do not leave the battery door open. Does the battery run down at the same rate?
2) Do you have GPS enabled and if so, which mode is it set to - mode 1 or mode 2?

I am trying the same test with my 5D mk4.
The battery was 73% at the start of the test, the door is open and I will let you know what happens.

snoke

• EOS M5
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 08:38:54 AM »
A couple of questions:
1) what happens if you do not leave the battery door open. Does the battery run down at the same rate?
2) Do you have GPS enabled and if so, which mode is it set to - mode 1 or mode 2?

1. No
2. No.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »
I'm honestly not sure what the problem is, or even if there is a problem. But I do know the solution: don't leave the battery door open.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

stevelee

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 10:12:25 AM »
I'm honestly not sure what the problem is, or even if there is a problem. But I do know the solution: don't leave the battery door open.

Reminds me of Henny Youngman's doctor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 10:12:25 AM »

Ian_of_glos

• EOS M5
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 03:04:59 PM »
A couple of questions:

1. No
2. No.

The battery door on my 5D mk4 has been open for 12 hours now. At the start of the test my battery was at 73% and now 12 hours later it is still at 73% so I am not able to replicate what you are seeing.
How long do you normally leave it for?
I will leave the door open overnight and check the battery again in the morning, but I don't think the battery will be depleted significantly.

snoke

• EOS M5
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 06:27:31 PM »
The battery door on my 5D mk4 has been open for 12 hours now. At the start of the test my battery was at 73% and now 12 hours later it is still at 73% so I am not able to replicate what you are seeing.

Steps.
1. Remove battery
2. Insert battery, do not close door.
Camera think battery is not battery?

Door close, battery inside, open door and battery inside, not problem. Test this.

Problem happen when you rush to put battery in camera and not close door. Dinner get cold or late to work and rush battery. Then forget until photo time. Then battery flat.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:48:48 PM by snoke »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 07:29:55 PM »
Problem happen when you rush to put battery in camera and not close door. Dinner get cold or late to work and rush battery. Then forget until photo time. Then battery flat.

Takes >10 seconds or longer to take the battery from the charger, open the door, orient the battery and insert it.  Takes <1 second to push the door closed.  But somehow, you run out of time?  Seems more likely to be carelessness.

stevelee

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 07:33:08 PM »
Most of us get careless when we are in a hurry.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 07:50:43 PM »
Say you drive across town and are late for your dinner reservation. As you rush into the restaurant, you forget to push the button on your key to lock the car, and it's stolen.  Some would blame traffic or being in a rush, as the OP is doing. To that, I'd say excuses are like a-holes...everyone has one and they all stink.

In the OP's case it's even easier – don't start something you can't finish.  The <1 second needed to finish properly inserting a battery won't make the difference between a warm and cold dinner or being on time or late to work.  The dinner was cold or he was already going to be late before he even picked up the camera.

Nevertheless, it's an interesting phenomenon...if it's reproducible.  Not sure if that the case, though.  But there are some weird things in firmware...like, why does the front barrel of the M22/2 extend slightly when I mount it to my M6 with the camera powered off?

Hector1970

• EOS 5DS R
    • Flickr
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 08:05:48 PM »
I must try it with my car.
If I leave the door open will the battery discharge.
If it does this would be really stupid of car manufacturers and I'm going to complain.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 08:05:48 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 11:04:51 PM »
I must try it with my car.
If I leave the door open will the battery discharge.
If it does this would be really stupid of car manufacturers and I'm going to complain.

Virtually all cars have a timer to shut off power drain in a case like leaving the door open, so if your battery goes flat, you should complain.

Ian_of_glos

• EOS M5
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 02:50:31 AM »

Steps.
1. Remove battery
2. Insert battery, do not close door.
Camera think battery is not battery?

Door close, battery inside, open door and battery inside, not problem. Test this.

The battery door on my 5D mk4 has been open for 24 hours now and the charge has only reduced from 73% to 72%. You would expect it to discharge slightly when the camera is not being used.

So as instructed I have followed your instructions and removed the battery before trying the experiment again.
Is the camera switched on or off when this happens?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 02:50:31 AM »