July 22, 2018, 08:55:47 AM

Author Topic: Introducing Loupedeck+, the Next Evolution of Custom Photo Editing Console, Loupedeck  (Read 6069 times)

jonathanlang

• Canonflex
I'd agree with jdavidse's comments.

I used the Behringer X-Touch Mini for a while to get a feel for the hardware-controller lifestyle and it definitely was an improvement, but still left a lot to be desired. It was never on the same level build-quality wise as controllers from the likes of BlackMagic for Resolve.

I got the Loupedeck shortly after it was released and have since edited thousands of photos (weddings) on it. The keys (as jdavidse mentioned) are the biggest problem with the unit. They constantly stick and you have to hit them hard in the middle to make them work reliably. This makes culling tiresome (and I move back to my keyboard for that now). The actual photo manipulation controls are generally good, but some of the dials are starting to become less accurate now. The large crop and rotate button I always felt was unnecessarily big and didn't feel great. There aren't enough customisable buttons to control more niche parts of Lightroom (or control additional tools that are released in newer versions).

With all that in mind, the new keys, better build quality and more customisation options of the Loupedeck+ should be very welcome additions.

The final problem I've had with all Lightroom controllers is Lightroom. It's still too bloody slow. The addition of other photo editors gives me even fewer obstacles now to try alternative solutions.

canon rumors FORUM

• EOS M5
The premium professional volume workflow tool right now is Capture One Pro... Just saying...

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
I've looked at the Midi solutions, and the issues with them, so I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Loupedeck+.  I have issues using my fingers to control fine movements of my mouse, so I intend to see how well it works.  It is definitely a low cost solution to a editing deck, for video, you can spend a lot more. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1394885-REG/slate_digital_sym_ravcore_dd_raven_mti_core_station.html
please post a review of the loupedeck+ based on actual use by a real user.  I can suspicious of many of the on line reviews which appear to be paid
I'll post one after I get the new unit.  I am looking for help for my finger issue, so my focus is on being able to edit the 5000+ recent images that have been taking forever because of my hand issues and decreasing ability to control a mouse.  It costs in the same price range as some high end ergonomic mice, so I decided to give it a try.
There will always be paid or influenced reviews, however, some reviewers have a good reputation for saying what they think.  As always, reviewers may be looking at what they see as important, and not mention a feature that you see as a issue.
Suprisingly, here is one of the better reviews I've seen, probably because it reflects my opinion of the device.  But, if it helps with my finger / hand issue, then it would score high with me.
https://www.pcmag.com/review/359940/loupedeck
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:25:11 AM by Mt Spokane Photography »

• EOS M5
Anyone interested in the Loupedeck should have a look at MIDI2LR.
https://rsjaffe.github.io/MIDI2LR/

MIDI2LR allows you to control most of LightRoom's tools using any MIDI control board.  A popular one is the BEHRINGER X-TOUCH MINI, which costs a whole USD$50. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JLZCLS/ Even better, the whole system is fully customizable, so you can assign whatever LR controls you want to the physical controls of your particular MIDI system.

I spent a lot of time looking at the original Loupedeck, but it is rather expensive.  After hearing about MIDI2LR in some comments, I tried it and have never looked back.  Having physical controls is a HUGE speed boost, but there is no need to expensive custom hardware.  Don't worry about MIDI hardware... most of these systems are USB based, and simple easy to setup and use.

Since I don't use LR: Have you tried this with Photoshop? Palette Gear seems to do that but it's expensive...

https://petapixel.com/2018/03/07/loupedeck-vs-palette-gear-comparing-lightroom-photo-editing-consoles/

kaptainkatsu

• EOS Rebel SL2
  • 1DX Mark II
Just ordered one. I always hated using the mouse to move the sliders. Hopefully this will make it a lot easier
1DX II | 7D II x2 (one for sale) | 16-35 f/4 | 18-135 | 24 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 70-200 F/2.8 II | 85 f/1.8

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
Just ordered one. I always hated using the mouse to move the sliders. Hopefully this will make it a lot easier
We'll compare notes!  I'm prepared to send it back if I can't use it.  Tip - you can increase the length of the sliders by enlarging the side panel.  That gives finer control at the expense of a smaller photo size, unless you are using dual monitors.

chrisdeckard

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Velvet Lotus Photography
I think it's a cool device and all, but it would severely slow me down having to move my hands from knob to knob. I use a programmable keyboard, currently a Logitech G13, and a Shuttle Pro V2. The G13 is programmed to move the mouse cursor above each of my sliders in Lightroom and the shuttle increments them quickly. Lots of other buttons programmed to do things quickly. For the bulk of my editing I don't have to touch my main keyboard or trackpad.
5D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 200 f/2 IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 24-70 f/2.8, 100 f/2.8 L Macro, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 16-35 f/2.8 L, TS-E 45 f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

Hillsilly

• EOS 5DS R
While appreciating that it is a fairly simple device, I'm still surprised it has a reasonable price.  Looking forward to seeing more reviews.
Camera Obscura

• EOS M5
I think it's a cool device and all, but it would severely slow me down having to move my hands from knob to knob. I use a programmable keyboard, currently a Logitech G13, and a Shuttle Pro V2. The G13 is programmed to move the mouse cursor above each of my sliders in Lightroom and the shuttle increments them quickly. Lots of other buttons programmed to do things quickly. For the bulk of my editing I don't have to touch my main keyboard or trackpad.

I found that in many editors like Photoshop and Capture One clicking the value window above the sliders often allows you to move them with the mouse scrolling wheel and that hitting the tab key moves you to the next one. I have thus programed the middle mouse key hidden under the scrolling wheel to emulate the tab key.

I use USB Overdrive, $20 for that:

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/Devices.html

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
What I really want is a way to reorganize the Lightroom panels on the right.  I'd like to detach them all, and have them as floating panels that I can rearrange, roll up, snap or close, including on other screens -- the way that you can on Photoshop.

I really dislike the way they are locked to the right, and, that an accidental click collapses the panel, especially since that is right by the scroll bar.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK

I really dislike the way they are locked to the right, and, that an accidental click collapses the panel, especially since that is right by the scroll bar.
That is definitely a issue for me.  They could require a button press or a double click of the mouse.

PhotoGenerous

• PowerShot SX60 HS
I don't know if anyone is going to read this. I mostly just browse the news and skim the forums only every once in a while, and it's been a few weeks since the article posted but...

I use the Icon Platform-M (which has been replaced by https://www.amazon.com/Icon-Pro-Audio-ICOC-PLATFORMMM-Platform/dp/B071XHN18K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530831849&sr=8-1&keywords=icon+platform+m&dpID=41aQfL%252BBZEL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch). That should address anyone's issues with build quaility that people had against the Behringer midi controllers. I paid for the LrControl software, but midi2lr will work just as well with it.

The thing is solid, and has mechanical faders that automatically adjust as you move from image to image (The reason why I never got the Palette Gear stuff was because of the lack of this feature). There are more buttons, faders, and dials than there are functions in Lightroom to program. Overall it's more customizable and functional than even the Loupedeck+ for the same ballpark price.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
I don't know if anyone is going to read this. I mostly just browse the news and skim the forums only every once in a while, and it's been a few weeks since the article posted but...

I use the Icon Platform-M (which has been replaced by https://www.amazon.com/Icon-Pro-Audio-ICOC-Overall it's more customizable and functional than even the Loupedeck+ for the same ballpark price.
Thanks for the reminder about this deck, I had looked at it whan the original Loupedeck came out, and had forgotton it. does sound nice, I like the automatic faders, but $350 plus software is about twice the price of the Loupedeck+. 

The functions are pretty similar to those with the loupedeck+.
My reason for getting the Loupedeck+ was to see if I could relieve some of the pain in my hands due to pinched nerves.  While the deck definitely seems to help, it does only a small part of the total job, which has me wondering if its worth having a big console that is in the way when I have to revert to using mouse and keyboard for many things.  I am trying to find time to go thru my entire workflow while chipping away at some 3500 images that need culled and then edited.  Then I will try printing some using the console.
While the Loupedeck does not have automatic faders, the placement of the dials is a big factor in reducing strain on my old hands, and the feel of the dials is great.  The cropping control is not sensitive enough for me, if I'm doing a severe crop, it takes many turns of the dial, and they are CCW which seems unnatural to me.
In the end, the deciding factor would be how much it replaces use of my mouse over the entire import to publish and print process.  So far, it looks like it only replaces a small portion of the work.  Some of the key functions like cropping are difficult and slow. The sensitivity of the knows can't be changed.

canon rumors FORUM

pwp

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
The Loupdeck seems like an answer to a question that few people have asked. A bit clumsy and certainly oversized, tied to Lr and expensive.

A solution that I’ve found to be just awesome is this gaming keypad from Razer:
https://www.razer.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-tartarus-v2

All the buttons are fully customizable with your personal keyboard shortcuts or macros. It’s program aware so you can design your custom shortcuts/macros for any program on your computer. This sits comfortably under my left hand and I’ll typically have a Wacom Intuos Pro pen in my right hand. Once you get your head around it, it’s a workflow supercharger. If you’re a keyboard shortcuts fiend, then this is definitely for you. And it’s cheap! Razer products tend to be extremely robust and long lasting.

An additional benefit is Razer’s cloud, Synapse3. All your carefully considered shortcuts can be saved, and even downloaded to another computer you may want to work on. It just works. If the promotional Razer material looks a bit dazzling and blingy, you can turn off all the nasty teenage lights in preferences.

I’d be lost without this simple, cheap and totally customizable tool. I’d advise against the other Razer controller/keypads, this is the only one with a scroll wheel which is also customizable. In PS it controls brush size for me.

-pw

Maiaibing

• EOS 5DS R
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
The Loupdeck seems like an answer to a question that few people have asked. A bit clumsy and certainly oversized, tied to Lr and expensive.

A solution that I’ve found to be just awesome is this gaming keypad from Razer:
https://www.razer.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-tartarus-v2

Can you share a little more on the functions you can control using the buttons / especially if it allows you not to fiddle with the scroll bars with the mouse and if it has any functions related to cropping and levelling.

canon rumors FORUM