August 29, 2014, 08:42:14 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]  (Read 179019 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: The Next 5D on February 27/28, 2012 [CR3]
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2012, 05:15:39 PM »
I'm going to make a couple of predictions that will probably shock you. 1) 5D3 will be available day one with no pre-order.   2) 5D2 used market will not pick up.

$3500 is a lot of coin for us poor Americans to cough up on a camera that, really, in essence, adds a few more autofocus sensors, and sort-of doubles the shooting speed. Therefore, I don't think we will see the droves lining up for what amounts to nothing more than incremental improvements. And this after a 3.5 LONG YEARS wait.

I honestly don't understand the complaints about the 5D2 autofocus - is there not continuous manual focus on nearly every lens sold by Canon to augment the AF when it isn't spot-on? I also shoot a lot of medium format, where autofocus pretty much doesn't exist, so this whole idea that AF is the most important feature in a camera is a little foreign to me.

The 5D2 was an absolute revolution in its day, kicking RED and Nikon square in the face with 1080P video at insane bitrates (40Mb+). Then, Canon came out with the firmware update that vastly improved the video shooting aspects of the camera. For no charge!!  THAT is commitment to your customer base.

Now we have, in essence, the same camera, with a couple little "perks" added, and a nice hefty $1500 price increase. And, to go along with it, a moderately improved all-around lens that costs twice what its predecessor cost.

If you ask me, you could get a REALLY nice medium format kit (film of course) for what it will cost to "upgrade" to a 5D3 + 24-70L II. Personally, this is the end of the "upgrade" road for me, as I am more than happy with my 5D2, 24-70L (plus other lenses). Good luck finding those used 5D2s out there!

Vastly better video, hopefully 6.9fps and full 1DX AF would be a lot more than little perks! Although it depends, if you take nothing but tripod, liveview landscape shots and never shoot video than yeah maybe not so much (other than hopefully better low ISO DR). But if you use you camera in all sorts of ways those would be some pretty nice improvements to say the least.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2012, 05:15:39 PM »

mkln

« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2012, 05:18:05 PM »
I wonder how the marketing is going to spin the new 5D without the megapixels.

there must be something out there. I refuse to think that the rumors reflect all of the interesting stuff the new 5 is going to have.

purely photographic features like fps or autofocus are not good for marketing
- HD video was. now it's not good anymore, everybody has it
- resolution was. now it's not good for canon anymore, nikon has it.
- price/features ratio was. canon's first consumer digital dslr's had it, $3500? no thanks
- AF and FPS never have been. the 5d3 with 1dx AF? nikon always had pro fps in lesser bodies
- high ISO performance? yeah right, we only saw <1600ISO 1DX JPEGs at 18mp, what makes you think the 5d3 will be any better? I actually don't think even the 1DX will be that special.
- high DR performance? few people actually know what DR is, few realize what it means, and canon never had good DR. 2+ stop improvement is just not happening.

so what else? 4K video? never shot any video on my 5d2. maybe it would be useful for marketing. but it's not as big as first DSLR with HD video. video is already there. 4K is incremental. we know it's going to happen.
weather sealing? I'm happy with what the 5d2 offers (which is still something). not good for marketing.

there's also a whole list of features that are missing from 5d2 and I'm not sure whether or not canon will add to the 5d3. like programmable auto iso and auto iso in M mode.
and then everything from MagicLantern (if MagicLantern can do it, why can't Canon? Can't-on?

so I'm sure there will be improvements over 5d2. but they need some MARKETING thingy that everybody will talk about because "OMG LOOK at the new 5d3 it has #insertfeaturehere# let's not talk about the D800 anymore".
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:21:05 PM by mkln »

sailingsilkeborg

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »
Those of you who are fretting that there will be no deals and no reasonable used market prices on 5D II's are getting too uptight, too fast. In a perfect economic world, where all sellers are well informed and rational, one 5D II "good deal" in a blue moon might be an accurate prediction. But while the market for higher end DSLR's may include a disproportionate number of educated owner/sellers, still, it isn't a perfectly informed, rational economic world. Even otherwise rational sellers get motivated at times and for reasons that defy explanation. In addition, and more basically, not everybody is the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. As PT Barnum (or somebody) once said, there's another sucker born every minute. That goes for sellers, as well as buyers. Breath deep, seek peace, and you will find that bargain 5D II. 

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »
stop complaining about the price... for god sake.
if you don´t have the money buy a rebel.

the camera will have a lot more improvements then what is listed here.
and im sure it´s worth the money.

I don't understand your complaint.  People have invested a lot into their systems, and they truly believed that they were going to be able to have a somewhat affordable FF camera, and 3.5k is way out of reach for most people.

Sure we can be a used 5D2, but most people don't want a pre owned camera (lenses are a different story).

I don't think it's fair to say that people need to stop complaining about the price.  It is an enormous increase from the previous model.  Whether or not it's a smart financial move for Canon is a different story, but I say people have the right to feel a little upset.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »
Not to fuel the fire, but there has been reports recently that the 5D2 having prices increases over the last few days....  perhaps if this camera gets announced/released at $3500, any takers the retail 5d2 price jumps back up to the original $2699 it debuted at?
companies will price at whatever they think they can get away with ;) I guess it depends on how much distributor stock there is on the MK II, but it would not surprise me.
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

canartist

« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2012, 05:35:49 PM »

4K video? never shot any video on my 5d2. maybe it would be useful for marketing. but it's not as big as first DSLR with HD video. video is already there. 4K is incremental. we know it's going to happen.

I guess you didn't watch the video where the canon rep admitted HDMI output was deliberately crippled in 1DX. So if canon does not want to offer even a clean HDMI in their flagship, do you think they would offer 4k in 5D ?

canartist

« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »
Not to fuel the fire, but there has been reports recently that the 5D2 having prices increases over the last few days....  perhaps if this camera gets announced/released at $3500, any takers the retail 5d2 price jumps back up to the original $2699 it debuted at?
companies will price at whatever they think they can get away with ;) I guess it depends on how much distributor stock there is on the MK II, but it would not surprise me.

Maybe canon wants us to believe that mk3 is not "really" expensive, compared to current offering.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »

jcns

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »

I don't understand your complaint.  People have invested a lot into their systems, and they truly believed that they were going to be able to have a somewhat affordable FF camera, and 3.5k is way out of reach for most people.

Sure we can be a used 5D2, but most people don't want a pre owned camera (lenses are a different story).

I don't think it's fair to say that people need to stop complaining about the price.  It is an enormous increase from the previous model.  Whether or not it's a smart financial move for Canon is a different story, but I say people have the right to feel a little upset.
The 5d is a pro camera.  I am sure those who make a living from photography will not be too happy but will buy it.
Amateurs and hobbyists should not be complaining about the cost of a discretionary item.
It's a PRO body. And I am sure Canon will sell everyone they make; if you have any doubts, check out the waiting lists for it.
PRO equipment is never cheap.
Compare the price of a "regular" Porsche GT3 and a track ready GT3 RSR. 
Enzo vs Ferrari FXX.
a regular road bicycle with what the Pro Peloton rides.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:41:57 PM by jcns »

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »
Well what I hope happens with these canon price increases is the Australian price gets regulared correctly against the US price becasue at the moment the premium we pay for gear is silly. So if the camera comes in a $3500 aussie too then thats good.

I'm hoping build quality is closer to 1D but as for the rest of those specs
all I can say is
WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO!

One ray of hope is that the MSRP if the G1X is AUD 850, compared to USD 800 (in the USA).  That is a smaller premium than normal, however the G1X is a different market segment.  The apparent Australian pricing that I have heard for the 1DX is not as promising.

Even if the 5D III/X comes out at around AUD 4000 (which is roughly what the 5DII cost at launch) and if it has the 61 point AF system and two card slots, it will be well worth looking at.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

canartist

« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »
It's a PRO body.

Can you give us a definition of so called "Pro body" ?

Please and thank you.

swordsman468

« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »
If these specs are true, then for $500 less you can opt for the Nikon D800.  Am I the only one that is unimpressed so far by the rumors for the 5D MkII replacement?  I mean the Mark II has been around for over 3 years, and its replacement seems to be a very modest, unimpressive boost in specs/features.  Something tells me Nikon is going to be stealing a lot of Canon sales this year.

mkln

« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »

exactly. people have expectations about what they are going to buy, and canon should (actually I think it does) realize that (potential) consumers who expected a <3000 price for the new 5d will be upset.
I don't think that price is final.

also to note is that canon gear has high resale value. compared to a world in which canon had low resale value, "our world" makes it cheaper to switch system.
therefore canon cannot price the new 5d3 too high with the D800 at $3000, because if they do, consumers might think that the expense for an upgrade to 5d3 is the same as going for nikon selling everything.

I'll take myself as an example. I currently own 5d2+85L+70200 II.
say that I want to buy a 5d3.
so I sell the 5d2, buy the 5d3, it's going to be what, $2000? seems like a lot.

4K video? never shot any video on my 5d2. maybe it would be useful for marketing. but it's not as big as first DSLR with HD video. video is already there. 4K is incremental. we know it's going to happen.

I guess you didn't watch the video where the canon rep admitted HDMI output was deliberately crippled in 1DX. So if canon does not want to offer even a clean HDMI in their flagship, do you think they would offer 4k in 5D ?

Of course I don't think they are going to put 4K on it. but that's my point.
WHAT is the 5d3 selling for?
WHAT's going to be on all news sites? the nikon d800 had resolution. (example: "OMGZ INTERWEBS NIKON DEIGHTHUNDRED HAS THIRTY-SEVEN 37 MEGAPIXXORS")

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2012, 05:47:58 PM »

the thing is that he might want a camera that is equivalent to his skills and NOT A REBEL and not having money is an issue. he's got all the right to complaint bout the price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2012, 05:47:58 PM »

kede

« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »
I pre-ordered a D800 but I think the Canon 5D3's gonna be a very nice camera. Nikon and Canon can do great things. Buy the one you're the most interest. And stop arguing... They are company who want to make money, that's all. That's the society.

MRW

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2012, 05:53:52 PM »
kinda bummed. i make my living with a 5d 2 on a tripod with a cable release using manual ziess lenses. not sure how this will help me. Im sure something will come for me sooner or later.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2012, 05:53:52 PM »