November 23, 2014, 08:29:33 AM

Author Topic: Newsflash on 5D mark III price: It's cheaper than the 5D II intro price  (Read 20447 times)

AdamJ

Re: Newsflash on 5D mark III price: It's cheaper than the 5D II intro price
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 04:17:27 AM »
I suspect Nikon is not even making money on the D800. They are a small company who went through turmoil and think they can get some market share with the D800. I hope they succeed. Because go healthy compitation is good for all. i.e. customers.

I haven't read the whole thread but in case it hasn't been mentioned, Nikon is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mitsubishi which is a company with $250bn turnover. I doubt they're making a loss on the D800 but I agree that the competition is good for all consumers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 04:17:27 AM »

SebSic

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 09:32:53 AM »
Just stop masturbation with exchange rates !!! Canon did take this in concideration establishing the final price.

$3500 is just a BIG priice. People who will say "No it is so cheap ..." ar just too rich to remember life cost ...
In my country(France), for the price of Canon 5D III plus 24 70 2.8 L II (3500€ plus 2500€ less 300€ for kit price = 5700€) I can buy a brand new car, or a moto. I can rent an appartment with 2 rooms for a year ....

For professional use, as this is the main "instrument", this is not "too" expensive.
But for amators like me, who  just love photos, this price is really high, and I will need sacrifices (not human lol) to buy the dream kit (5D III + 24 70 L II)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 09:54:49 AM »
I suspect Nikon is not even making money on the D800. They are a small company who went through turmoil and think they can get some market share with the D800. I hope they succeed. Because go healthy compitation is good for all. i.e. customers.

Yes competition is great. We got so much value form canon all these years and the reason was competition. I am glad the D800 was released at 3k, puts some downward pressure on other bodies.

BTW can a Business get insurance for loss of Business on such disasters... Is there such an insurance policy?
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Raddy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »
Well, there is some funny thing about something being "cheaper" when considering the inflation rates and such.
Assuming back in 2008 your the average salary was equal to the price of a 5D Mark II, did the salary got adjusted in the same way the current price of the 5D Mark III did?

If something is considered to be "cheaper" now, it would allow me to buy a higher amount of a certain product when putting it into relation of my current income. At least for me this is not the case...
My salary did not develop in a way the price for a similar product (5d Mark II/5D Makr III) did.
So speaking of me, it can't be cheaper for me. ;-))
5D Mark III (gripped) | 60D (gripped)
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Speedlite 430EX | Speedlite 600EX-RT

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
Well, there is some funny thing about something being "cheaper" when considering the inflation rates and such.
Assuming back in 2008 your the average salary was equal to the price of a 5D Mark II, did the salary got adjusted in the same way the current price of the 5D Mark III did?

If something is considered to be "cheaper" now, it would allow me to buy a higher amount of a certain product when putting it into relation of my current income. At least for me this is not the case...
My salary did not develop in a way the price for a similar product (5d Mark II/5D Makr III) did.
So speaking of me, it can't be cheaper for me. ;-))

Prices and cost of living have been rising faster than salaries for the last 20 years.  That's part of what Occupy Wall Street was about... the 1% can buy a Canon 5D Mark III with little concern for the cost.   ;)

wamsankas

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 11:48:23 AM »
apple computers havent really changed price in the past 6 years. they continuously offer new technology at the same price point. ipad 1 was 499 so will ipad 3.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »
apple computers havent really changed price in the past 6 years. they continuously offer new technology at the same price point. ipad 1 was 499 so will ipad 3.

This is really an apples an oranges argument here.  Cell phone/computer makers have several other revenue streams that come from these devises which earn them way more than setting a huge price for their product.  Itunes makes so much for apple that they can put lots of R&D into new stuff and sell it at a loss because they'll make up for it.  For camera's, you have lenses, flashes that add to to the revenue.  And while the per unit profit margin is far greater on lets say a lens vs a song on itunes, how many songs are bought vs 24-70 2.8L lenses????  the pro dslr camera industry is so different than the camera industry that this isn't even an apples to oranges debate, its more like apples to 30 year aged single malt scotch!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
Just a quick reminder on how companies price goods today.

There are pricing strategy consultants that do a lot of research on how to price such goods. I know of one such company that employs over 500ppl who do nothing else. Believe me, when I tell you that the rational for Nikon and Canon to price their products like they are priced takes exactly into account how much they can sell, how much discount they will give in the future after 6months, 1 year 2 years etc ... and how the competition will respond. Now don't get me wrong all I want to say is that the pricing even if ppl here don't like it follows a strategy that is probably planed to much greater detail than what you might think...
So the 3500 USD against 3000 USD is exactly where both companies see their chances.

Nikon needs market share (as it was loosing a lot the last few years), while Canon needs to become more profitable per unit sold ... but those are two different strategies so the target pricing shows the difference we see here now.   

While all of that is certainly true, price is also based on the cost to manufacture, cost of advertising, and other intangibles plus a markup.  The marketing people confirm that there is a market and set a target price that will sell.  If the two are not compatible, there will be no product, since it must make a profit.  Canon has said in the past that they spend a huge amount of time trying to design a camera that can be made to a price point established by marketing,

I do believe that there are two different things happening. 

Nikon is trying a strategy of getting cameras into the hands of consumers who will buy their very profitable lenses.  The D800 reuses many internal parts from the D700, so the R&D cost is less, which helps.

Canon has either a more expensive design to produce, or, more likely, just sees that the market will accept the higher price.  In that case, slow sales will quickly cause a hefty price drop.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 03:44:28 PM »
I keep seeing people posting about how they are dissatisfied with the 5D III price. I really have no idea where these posts are coming from. When you correct for inflation and exchange rate the 5D Mark II was introduced at $4200 in today's dollars and exchange rate. $3500 is noticeably cheaper than $4200 the last time I checked so I see no reason for the complaints about price. On top of that if the past is any indication the good news is 5D III intro price will be cut steeply and probably in half in the next few years. Hope that helps clear up the pricing issue. :)

And yet the 5D2 cost less than the 5D and the 50D less than the 20D. And even the D800 costs less than the D700. The 5D3 costs more than the 5D2. Which doesn't belong?

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Agreed not to mention the dynamic range improvements.
Dynamic range improvements?  You must have missed many 5DMkIII tests!

Canon released a Nikon D3S with nearly twice the megapixels for nearly half the money. It's really an astonishing camera.
This is an apples to orange comparison. The 1DX is the equivalent of D3S (and D4) ...
Feel free to compare 5DmkIII with D800 though...

briansquibb

I keep seeing people posting about how they are dissatisfied with the 5D III price. I really have no idea where these posts are coming from. When you correct for inflation and exchange rate the 5D Mark II was introduced at $4200 in today's dollars and exchange rate. $3500 is noticeably cheaper than $4200 the last time I checked so I see no reason for the complaints about price. On top of that if the past is any indication the good news is 5D III intro price will be cut steeply and probably in half in the next few years. Hope that helps clear up the pricing issue. :)

And yet the 5D2 cost less than the 5D and the 50D less than the 20D. And even the D800 costs less than the D700. The 5D3 costs more than the 5D2. Which doesn't belong?

Hardly think the D800 is an upgrade to a D700

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Agreed not to mention the dynamic range improvements.
Dynamic range improvements?  You must have missed many 5DMkIII tests!

Canon released a Nikon D3S with nearly twice the megapixels for nearly half the money. It's really an astonishing camera.
This is an apples to orange comparison. The 1DX is the equivalent of D3S (and D4) ...
Feel free to compare 5DmkIII with D800 though...

You're about 4 months late to this argument.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Hope that helps clear up the pricing issue. If history is any indication the price will be cut in half over the next few years too :)

Newsflash -- you're wrong.

Nothing in your financial/economic mumbo jumbo changes the fact that $3500 USD is too much for what they're calling a 5D3. It's overpriced that way for two market segments:

1. Businesses who can write off the expenditure, even though most of them seem to agree it's too expensive. They can bite that nasty bullet for the business benefits it can provide.

2. Pent-up demand, the folks lusting for years for something better than the 5D2 or a crop body or whatever they used while patiently waiting for the 5D2 successor.

When those segments are satisfied (and Canon pockets the extra cash) the price will reduce, probably closer to the $3K area. Then the rest of us will buy one thinking what a great deal we're getting.

As for your prediction that it will sell for $1750 USD in a few years, I think the time machine you used needs serious adjustment. No new 5D3 will ever retail at that price, I don't care what kind of mumbo jumbo you use to delude yourself.

And by way of disclaimer, my saying the 5D3 is not worth the price is not saying it isn't a great camera. It's just not THAT great!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
I'll buy the 5D3 when it's price is around 2K, and my 5D2 is dead.

IE: After the 5D4 is out, and people are complaining about it's price, and how it isn't worth the upgrade...
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I'll buy the 5D3 when it's price is around 2K, and my 5D2 is dead.

IE: After the 5D4 is out, and people are complaining about it's price, and how it isn't worth the upgrade...
;D

canon rumors FORUM