April 16, 2014, 10:25:30 AM

Author Topic: Is Continous Autofocus a big deal for those who shoot video  (Read 17486 times)

bluegreenturtle

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Is Continous Autofocus a big deal for those who shoot video
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »
I have to stop reading this thread.  I want my 5 minutes back.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »

Jedifarce

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »

Shallow dof is SO cool right now. Just because DSLRs can be used for video. Gee, wow. Who gives a toss in the real world.

You apparently haven't heard about the film 'Hell and Back again'.

Hell and Back Again clip Small | Large

wdh777

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »
so this thread started by stating that the d800 has autofocus.  Has anyone actually tried a d800 with autofocus and could report back regarding how it works.  I would be very interested in seeing a d800 for instance shooting my kids soccer match to see how the autofocus works.

dash2k8

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »
I have a friend/associate who swears by the GH2's fast continuous autofocus. Doesn't hurt that the GH2 produces pretty good quality images for its price range. Personally, I think the continuous autofocus is more useful for ENG people who often need to track the action live. That's very hard to do in manual mode, even with follow focus, because you can't predict what is going to happen. That said, you could always close down to f/9.0 and get most everything sharp.

For filmmakers, the autofocus is not a big deal. It's not a "deal" at all. Everybody wants control of what's in focus, what's not. There's a reason why movie cameras and lenses don't have autofocus.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »