August 27, 2014, 05:20:28 AM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III - Price Drop Details  (Read 80092 times)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D Mark III - Price Drop Details
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 07:46:50 AM »
Far be it from me to complain, but the last rumor that they'll be enforcing a minimum price, even on bundles, but I think that's going to shoot them in the foot.  Price it how you have to make a profit, but not letting free-market take over makes me think that Nikon understands marketing better (not that I'm going to sell everything and transfer but still . . . ).

I honestly don't think it will help, it'll just just catalyze the 5DmkII market.

Nikon started enforcing the full msrp a few months ago. 

In any event, there is a small markup on lenses and bodies, so sellers are very limited in any price reductions they make.

Sorry; I meant the fact that they've got something at the $2500 price point that's FF.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in the next year; maybe the 5DmkII will live along side the mkIII as that "entry level FF" that's always rumored.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Rob Wiebe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • J D Robert Wiebe Photography
1DX, Sony A7R, Sony RX100 III (ordered) and lots of " L" lenses

Otter

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »
Here are my predictions:

$2999 this Christmas
$2499 next Christmas

The 5DIII will be in better supply than the 5DII, so the price drop will be quicker.

I think at most a $200 rebate @ Christmas.  Based on the current demand, I think it will be just as come the Christmas season.  As for $1000 off by next year, I think that's crazy.  It makes no sense considering, the mark II has never been $1000 off and they will continue to sell it, there's no reason for Canon do drop the MK III by $1000 a year after launch.  I guess that's wishful thinking, but not realistic.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 08:07:30 PM »
Here is my take on it:
- In 2008 Canon released the 5D Mark II for $2699
- In 2012 Canon released the 5D Mark III for $3499 and dropped the price of the 5D Mark II to $2199
- Canon says they will continue to sell the II along the III (Just like what Nikon's doing with the D700 and D800)

The D700 is already discontinued in Canada and I suspect it will elsewhere too, as stock disappears. They will not be making any more D700s than they've already got parts for. Will Canon do the same with the 5D Mark II? Come back in a year to see how long the 5D Mark II was kept alive for.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 08:12:16 PM »
Wait for the reviews.

If there are going to be any price drops, it will be after DxO and/or dpreview have reviewed it.

If the lack of DR is confirmed in production models and it becomes apparent that the 5D3 is roughly the same as a 5D2 for taking photographs then it is possible that cost conscious people will stop buying the 5D3 and buy the 5D2.

And cost conscious means people that aren't professional photographers because all those that are professionals will be able to factor it in to this year's capital expenses one way or another (and will get a VAT/GST refund on top of writing it off for tax purposes.)

So the buyer looking for a discount is going to have to wait...

pelebel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photographes de mariage et d'évènements à Québec
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 08:17:06 PM »
Wait for the reviews.

If there are going to be any price drops, it will be after DxO and/or dpreview have reviewed it.

If the lack of DR is confirmed in production models and it becomes apparent that the 5D3 is roughly the same as a 5D2 for taking photographs then it is possible that cost conscious people will stop buying the 5D3 and buy the 5D2.

And cost conscious means people that aren't professional photographers because all those that are professionals will be able to factor it in to this year's capital expenses one way or another (and will get a VAT/GST refund on top of writing it off for tax purposes.)

I'm a pro and I prefer to be cost conscious! Less costs = more profit, even with tax refunds
5D mkII, T2i with 24-70mm f/2.8 L, 135mm f/2 L and 50mm f/1.8 II Photographes de mariage et d'évènements à Québec

Rob Wiebe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • J D Robert Wiebe Photography
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 09:13:49 PM »
Also, please take time to review the article that I linked above.  The relationship between the yen and the usd is not likely to bring a price drop anytime soon. After the initial verified retail price there might not be much dropping.  :(
1DX, Sony A7R, Sony RX100 III (ordered) and lots of " L" lenses

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 01:20:06 AM »
Also, please take time to review the article that I linked above.  The relationship between the yen and the usd is not likely to bring a price drop anytime soon. After the initial verified retail price there might not be much dropping.  :(

with the rate of money printing in both the US and europe the price is more likely to go up if anything
inflation is a coming
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 01:48:49 AM »
Wait for the reviews.

I'm not a pro and I am function concious so I buy the body that I want (although I do take care of the pennies at the same time)

erfon

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 05:40:32 AM »
Here are my predictions:

$2999 this Christmas
$2499 next Christmas

The 5DIII will be in better supply than the 5DII, so the price drop will be quicker.

i don't think this can happen.  if they drop the mark iii to $2500, that means the mark ii needs to be what, $1500?

what happens to the 7D then? 

i don't think you'll see this camera sell for less than 3k until the mark iv comes out.

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »
There used to be a theory that FF cameras would come down in price, to the point where there would be no point in buying crop gear.  The "crop is a stopgap until sensor manufacturing technology catches up" theory.

Now that the D800 and 5D3 prices are out, this doesn't seem to be the case. 

FF is going high-end.  We get a fancy sealed body, 100% viewfinder, top-notch autofocus.  It doesn't look like we'll get a FF sensor in a Rebel-like body, selling to the masses at Bestbuy, any time soon.

Not passing judgement on this... just an observation.

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 08:38:21 AM »
In holland it took about 12-15 months before any significant price drop of the mkII.

I saw a pricedrop yesterday to € 3019,-
http://azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/1118/492986/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-digitale-camera-slr-22-3-mpix-exclusief-lens.html
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »
As Canon is not alone in the marketplace that price is more logical looking at the hardware, between the D800 & D800e. I bet the price is quite different from initial price by the time of Photokina - I expect more mirrorless are kicking in:
* most probably the video in the upcoming Panasonic GH3 is better feature wise and IQ than the 5D3
* DR is already better than Canon today (Fuji, Sony, Nikon)
* because of fierce competition more innovation
* by Photokina this year, I expect the 5D2 to be discontinued

In holland it took about 12-15 months before any significant price drop of the mkII.

I saw a pricedrop yesterday to € 3019,-
http://azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/1118/492986/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-digitale-camera-slr-22-3-mpix-exclusief-lens.html

XanuFoto

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »
Wait for the reviews.

I'm a pro and I prefer to be cost conscious! Less costs = more profit, even with tax refunds
I acknowledge the cost conciousness. But over 500 dollars over you bread and butter tool???
Its like saying I want to be the best carpenter in the market place but I am waiting for the BOSCH mitre saw to fall by 50 bucks before I can use it to do jobs better which might net me 500 bucks extra.

grahamsz

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »
We are, however, in a time with relatively tumultuous currency markets. If the yen crashes or the dollar strengthens then that will push the price down as Canon will have to remain somewhat competitive with the gray market.