April 18, 2014, 05:42:40 PM

Author Topic: Hard Decision: 5d Mark III vs Nikon D800  (Read 6393 times)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: Hard Decision: 5d Mark III vs Nikon D800
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 12:55:54 PM »
-- D800 autofocuses in video mode. I'd really like for someone to review this. How good is it? If it was fairly accurate and fast, this would be a big plus for me.
IF it's the same phase-detect auto-focus as their previous cameras, it's generally considered to not be good. Certainly not a reason to go Nikon over Canon. You can see a bunch of examples on Youtube, but, its generally much slower and less reliable than the auto-focus you'd be used to from video cameras. I think only the Sony DSLR (A77) has something close to camcorder auto-focus.

Also, you'll get noise from having to press the shutter and hearing it auto-focus, so you'll have to come up with an external sound solution: Nikon D3100: Auto Focus Noise, VR Image Stabilization, and Video Quality

Holy crap that AF noise is annoying...  I thought my IS noise was bad, holy crap batman... Why the heck is it hunting so much so often, the cat isn't really moving that much... You might as well dump all the audio and have a music overlay. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 12:55:54 PM »

agierke

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 01:25:28 PM »
since you will be essentially entering into whatever system you end up choosing at the ground level (ie you have no previous gear for either system) i would like to suggest that you dont get too hung up on the whole nikon vs canon debate that is currently raging. the fact of the matter is that both companies are offering tremendous products that are allowing us photographers to produce work at such a high quality and with relatively unprecedented convenience.

i became a canon user in the 90's and since then i have seen 1 constant between the two companies....both of them are highly competitive with each other and each has moments where they are out performing the other for a period of time. its truly one of the greatest rivalries i have seen in any venue (certainly the best in the photography world) and the end result of such competition has been truly amazing advances for the consumer to enjoy.

this trend is not new....its been going on for at least 30 years and im sure will continue for quite some time. it just happens to be particularly heated at the moment. whichever system you choose, you may find in the near future the other company comes out with a feature you wish your camera had. but its cyclical so patience and a level head can be a saving grace.

also understand that both systems on the high end are capable of producing work (in the right hands) that far exceeds the expectations or awareness of many clients...either commercially or private. i often shoot at the highest capabilities of my gear for my own edification and end up "dumbing" down the output so that my clients are capable of handling the files in a convenient way. i am a still photographer though so i am not sure how that would translate to a video format.

either camera system will be tremendous for you i'm sure. both will probably have idiosyncrasies that you wish they didnt have. i dont think it can be overstated that one of the most important factors to you may end up being how each one handles. being comfortable with the feel and operation of your system will allow you to focus on craft and creative decision making which in the end will impact your product much greater than any spec you could micro analyze.

if i were you i would test each camera as soon as you can get your hands on one (rental) and make the decision based on those results that you personally come up with. no one here can definitively tell you which camera will be better for you, especially since no one has had an opportunity to put real time behind both cameras and provide real world test results. plus no one here can know your personal preferences...
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, sigma 15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 85mm F1.8, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

iso79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »
Why Canon is better:

-Better ergonomics. When you put it in your hand it fits like a glove.
-Buttons and switches are in the right place. You don't need to press two buttons do one function.
-Easy to use interface.
-Better color and white balance.
-Better lenses and selection.
-Faster initial focus acquisition.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

jaduffy007

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 01:47:33 PM »
Hi Jayden,

Luckily, you can't go seriously wrong either way. 

If you read my other posts, you will quickly see I'm a big fan of the D800 over the 5d3.

ISO: With RAW files, 5d3 and D800 are practically identical.  Downsize the D800 files for even better results!
Dynamic Range: D800 is the clear winner
Resolution: D800 is the clear winner

Lenses:  Other than Canon's f4 lenses (very nice), I see the lens line ups as equal, though Canon has recently become the more expensive of the two.

Video:  Recording to the internal cards, the 5d3 so far appears to be a little better than D800.  Less rolling shutter and moire.  With the D800 if you record to an external recorder like the Atomos Ninja ($1000) or Black Magic Intensity Shuttle ($200), it *might* take the video quality to a whole new level, but I haven't seen any comparisons yet.   The D800's uncompressed 4;2;2 should have serious advantages, but that remains to be seen. 

File size / storage / computer power:  In my opinion, waaay too much is being made of D800 file sizes vs 5d3.  No big deal.

Price: D800 is $500 less.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:40:19 PM by jaduffy007 »

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
Another + about the 5D Mk III (or any Canon DSLR), with regards to video, is that you can use a LOT of lenses from other brands (with an adapter). I have a set of nice old MF Nikon Primes that I use on my Canon!

Not sure how versatile Nikon is in that area.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Orion

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »
All these threads about the same topic . . . and the same worries, etc etc etc etc etc

If you are with Canon, and not with Nikon, you must understadn that Canon has the tech to make sensors that are out of this world, and even lenses. . . . but the thing that bothers me is that they refuse to beat the pants off Nikon, and are instead happy to just be at par or follow in other respewcts, or to only catch up in others.

If you are with Canon, then I would stick with Canon simply because you are with a company that makes it├Ęs own manufacturing and advancements in tech. They make their own lenses and sensors, and also create machines for eye surgeons and other hospital technologies. They have the ability to make 120MP sensors, and they do not make it 3rd party. If you are witrh Canon, then you need patience . . if you are with Nikon, then you need to worry about when Canon will explode and create things not seen befoer in the stills and video sections . . . and I can tell youthat JUST NOW they  are starting to go all out. Still they take thier time and agravate the masses, at times. That is all the have to think about. Sicne the photographer is the last word, stay with Canon and worry about your images: composition, artistic merits, and creating a name for yourself, not based on a few points in DR or ISO either way. . . . Keep your eye on the ball, and all this other stuff becomes less of a hassle that it really is.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »