April 21, 2014, 04:25:26 AM

Author Topic: Canon most popular brand  (Read 2173 times)

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
Canon most popular brand
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:55:31 AM »
Despite the "I am switching," "I am disappointed," et al threads, still looks like Canon is ruling the roost when it comes to the biggest market... consumers... Cha-Ching!

http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2012/3/prweb9269703.htm

canon rumors FORUM

Canon most popular brand
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:55:31 AM »

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon most popular brand
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:10:37 AM »
From the artile:

1. "Most surprising in the survey was the rising popularity of Mirrorless cameras".
2. "Sortable's survey identified that 22 percent of consumers are searching for Mirrorless camera options, leaving the leading brands in a bit of a deficit position. "

So if a trend is asked then looks like the Canon share will get smaller as they don't have a mirrorless option (I guess the only big sensor G-camera doesn't make it up alone).
Looking at the speed of improvements/innovations that are taking place at the mirrorless segment I think it can be said that less and less users need a DSLR when the same can be achieved by smaller cameras (sometimes they even outdo some SLR-s in terms of features & IQ).

Neeneko

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:30:55 AM »
The thing is, 'consumers' are not the only market out there, and many of the people who are upset at the 5D3 fall outside that demographic and feel like Canon has really focused on what 'consumers' want and professionals (or other markets) are only getting what overlaps with the mass market.

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:26:45 AM »
The thing is, 'consumers' are not the only market out there, and many of the people who are upset at the 5D3 fall outside that demographic and feel like Canon has really focused on what 'consumers' want and professionals (or other markets) are only getting what overlaps with the mass market.

Really? I'm honestly surprised to hear that:
* Dual cards
* Pro AF
* Improved weather sealing
* More FPS
* EC +/- 5 stops
* Improvement to focus microadjust
* Reduction in shutter lag
* Viewfinder improvement
* X-sync improvement
* Silent mode shooting

These are pro features, especially the AF.

Understand that the 5d3 isn't what everyone wanted, but the one thing I don't think can be claimed is this was was a camera for consumers. Consumers would generally not want a pro AF but would likely want more MP. Not saying the pro market doesn't want more MP either, but if they were going for the consumer market I have no doubt MP would have increased since consumers with 5dii's would look at the 5diii as no real improvement for them.

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »
I agree that at least the 5D3 looks more like pro-tailored body rather than high end amateur.

Just wanted to comment the mentioned features in the light of mirrorless progression, which seems to be quite impressive - shorter update cycles compred to SLRs and more innovation. Some of them already provide enough for a special professional use and sometimes even surprass in specs.

* Olympus EM-5:
   - fully weather sealed (5D3 is not though improved from 5D2)
   - flash sync speed up to 1/250th sec  (5D3 - 1/200)
   - 9fps  (ok - 4 with the AF)
   - "world's fastest" (presumably for single-acquisition AF) - needs to be verified of course
   - ISO up to 25600 and not bad for a much smaller sensor

* Fuji x 1 Pro:
   - high DR with very usable pushing, good detail & rendering (lack of AA & unique bayer pattern)

* Fuji x100:
  - with leaf shutter up 1/2000 f-sync
  - now this camera is silent, forget all those "silent modes" in other cameras

* Panasonic GH2:
   - impressive video (with hacks)
   (can't wait to see the new GH3 model, probably due to Photokina this year)

* Generally speaking of non-SLR cameras:
   - contrast AF doesn't need AF tweaking though speeds are not yet comparable to high end SLRs

Sorry if something worth mentioning is left out, that was just a quick try.

* Dual cards
* Pro AF
* More FPS
* EC +/- 5 stops
* Viewfinder improvement
* X-sync improvement
* Silent mode shooting

Understand that the 5d3 isn't what everyone wanted, but the one thing I don't think can be claimed is this was was a camera for consumers. Consumers would generally not want a pro AF but would likely want more MP. Not saying the pro market doesn't want more MP either, but if they were going for the consumer market I have no doubt MP would have increased since consumers with 5dii's would look at the 5diii as no real improvement for them.

WoodysGamertag

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »
I might be crazy but I can't imagine buying a brand other than Canon or Nikon.  When you're choosing a camera you're not just picking a body, you're choosing a platform.  Once you sign up for a given platform you're locked into an entire world of lenses and other accessories. 

Canon and Nikon will have just about anything you need.  Is the same true for a panasonic?  What do people do about all the other things that make up a camera? Do they use lens adapters to get the wealth of options offered to us?

I agree that at least the 5D3 looks more like pro-tailored body rather than high end amateur.

Just wanted to comment the mentioned features in the light of mirrorless progression, which seems to be quite impressive - shorter update cycles compred to SLRs and more innovation. Some of them already provide enough for a special professional use and sometimes even surprass in specs.

* Olympus EM-5:
   - "world's fastest" (presumably for single-acquisition AF) - needs to be verified of course

* Fuji x 1 Pro:
   - high DR with very usable pushing, good detail & rendering (lack of AA & unique bayer pattern)

* Fuji x100:

* Panasonic GH2:

- contrast AF doesn't need AF tweaking though speeds are not yet comparable to high end SLRs

* Dual cards
* Pro AF
* More FPS
* EC +/- 5 stops
* Viewfinder improvement
* X-sync improvement
* Silent mode shooting

smirkypants

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:59:12 PM »
My Ford can beat up your Chevy.  ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:59:12 PM »

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »
True.

But many pros already use a mirrorless option as a secondary camera, also as a backup. 
The speed of improvements is faster there. At the time one's CaNikon gets its next update mirrorless might have more compelling features (global shutter maybe, decent AF you name it) and it may happen that step by step a mirrorless gets more and more usage until it replaces many tasks done before by a DSLR. Read the forums here - many seem to be absolutely happy with no more than 22MP. Of course, speciality stuff is still for big cameras, but I think the demand for a DSLR will drop - slow improvements, unnecessarily big cameras for many tasks etc.

I might be crazy but I can't imagine buying a brand other than Canon or Nikon.  When you're choosing a camera you're not just picking a body, you're choosing a platform.  Once you sign up for a given platform you're locked into an entire world of lenses and other accessories. 

Canon and Nikon will have just about anything you need.  Is the same true for a panasonic?  What do people do about all the other things that make up a camera? Do they use lens adapters to get the wealth of options offered to us?

* Olympus EM-5:

* Fuji x 1 Pro:

* Fuji x100:

* Panasonic GH2:

* Dual cards
* Pro AF
* More FPS
* EC +/- 5 stops
* Viewfinder improvement
* X-sync improvement
* Silent mode shooting

Bennymiata

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 06:11:03 AM »
It's interesting that they are talking to consumers, and NOT buyers!

Sure, we'd all like a small mirrorless camera, but are we buying them?
Not in great numbers, and certainly not in big enough numbers to worry the DSLR market.

Sales figures mean far more to me than the answers that people on the street give.

IF a consumer wants to spend say, $1,000 on a camera, what are they actully buying?
In around 85% of cases, they are buying a DSLR, and not a mirrorless.

Neeneko

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »
It's interesting that they are talking to consumers, and NOT buyers!

Sure, we'd all like a small mirrorless camera, but are we buying them?
Not in great numbers, and certainly not in big enough numbers to worry the DSLR market.

Sales figures mean far more to me than the answers that people on the street give.

IF a consumer wants to spend say, $1,000 on a camera, what are they actully buying?
In around 85% of cases, they are buying a DSLR, and not a mirrorless.

Given how they have jumped from a non-existant market to a significant percentage, I think DSLR manufacturers are at least paying attention and probably worrying a bit at least.  The biggest thing holding mirrorless bodies back is their reputation as being inferrior, but that is rapidly changing (esp after the release of the NEX7).  They will probably make some pretty deep inroads into the crop camera market over the next few years as, eventually, the only advantages of the DLSRs will be (a) optical viewfinder and (b) epeen.

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20:57 PM »
Look at the stir Fuji has created with their X100 and X-Pro 1 (or whatever they call it). If Canon were to follow Fuji's lead, only with better usability, they'd absolutely kill this market.

I love the idea of a FF version of the Fuji -- think of all the great Leica and Voigtlander lenses you could use with it! I think that's unlikely, though. Ah well.

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 01:34:13 PM »
* Olympus EM-5:

* Fuji x 1 Pro:

* Fuji x100:

* Panasonic GH2:

Do you honestly think any of those cameras could have better survived the bath by fire that the 5D MIII received here from the "loyalists". Imagine if they hated Canon. Now put those cameras you list through a similar process with similar fan boys. LOL

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Mirrorless cameras have been taking a bite out of compact cameras, but DSLR demand is still rising rapidly.  P&S camera sales have been really hurting.

Mirrorless captured 13% of sales last year in Japan, and if they ever find the formula, sales will shoot up.  right now, we see many different concepts, a whole host of them sporting unique lenses.

There will be a falling out, and those stuck with discontinued models will be stuck with lenses unusable on new models that come out.  I'd think that buyinng bodies that use micro 4/3 lenses is a safe bet.  Sony seems to hace a clue for a change, so their special lenses have a chance of staying around.  If the Nikon V1 and J1 continue sales problems, there may never be a replacement.  Nikon has been losing money and is going to concentrate on profitable DSLR's like the D800.  Every D800 buyer likely buys $5,000 and more in lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 06:30:27 PM »

* Dual cards
* Pro AF
* More FPS
* EC +/- 5 stops
* Viewfinder improvement
* X-sync improvement
* Silent mode shooting

Its alot closer to what I wanted than the 1Dx was!

now if they had made a gripless version 1Dx....
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 06:30:27 PM »