September 19, 2014, 02:24:09 PM

Author Topic: Travel tripod help!!  (Read 11380 times)

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Travel tripod help!!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 02:04:03 AM »
Thanks everyone who have replied. I am based in the Uk. Searching for the Benro tripods, it looks like that they are not popular here in the uk and there are no local dealers. Many models mentioned on there and on their webistes are not sold here, not even on amazon.co.uk:(:(
FYI, I got a Benro C-2691 off eBay from a Chinese seller named "Coobuy."  I was a little nervous but got a recommendation from wickidwombat and took a chance.  It was the right decision.  The product is the real deal, worldwide shipping was available and not expensive (about $20), and it came quickly and was less expensive than any other seller I found by over $100. 
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 02:04:03 AM »

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 10:13:26 AM »
Here's another vote for the Gitzo traveler.  I was in the same boat, doing a lot of hiking and traveling.  I had bought a Manfrotto carbon fiber to save some money, but I quickly decided to save up for the Gitzo.  Now, lighter can mean more susceptibility to tipping due to wind if you're not careful, but it does have a hook on the bottom which I can hang weight (like my pack, or a plastic back with rocks from the trail) for stability, and if your 70-200 is one of the heavier versions, it may be worth using the tripod collar for center of gravity.  As someone said above, the best tripod is the one you have with you.  A heavier tripod is no use if you're not willing to carry it on your longer hikes.

I'm intrigued by the Benro, I don't know if that was out a couple of years ago when I bought my Gitzo, or if I just hadn't run across it in my research.  Judging by one of the links provided above it's almost twice the weight of the Gitzo traveler.  2 or more pounds difference; for many, that's probably fine, but everyone has different requirements depending on what else you're carrying, distance, fitness level, etc.  For me, 2lbs can be a lot when I'm out all day with 3 lenses, spare body, accessories, food, water, etc.

If you're also traveling a lot, I'd also check the collapsed height of your tripods you're considering.  First, remember, that's without the head, and factor that in, if you're lazy like me and don't want to be taking it off just to squeeze it into your suitcase/duffel bags/whatever.  My Manfrotto was just a bit too tall for my medium/small suitcases even without the head, which I didn't realize until I was packing for a trip.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »
The Benro Carbon, four section with ball-head comes in at ~3Lbs - very light. The Gitzo 1542T is 2.2Lbs but then you need to factor in a ball-head, say a Markins Q3T at .83 Lbs, then you would be up around ~3Lbs too.

That said, the Gitzo/Markins (or RRS BH-25) would be an awesome combo, with bag it would likely be up around $1000.

I have a Gitzo 2531/Markins M10/RRS clamp so I I know the quality of these items and I can say that I am extremely impressed with the Benro build quality.

ksuweh

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 01:22:35 PM »
I was looking at Gitzo tripod legs & I come across a brand that I had never heard of, Sirui. I was impressed with their unique ideas & the build quality looked good for the price so I bought one online from B&H. When it came in the mail I was VERY impressed with the quality of the tripod!! Mine was a N2204. They make others that look like they fold down more compact than the one that I bought. I highly recommend the brand!
5D Mk III, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 35 f/1.4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, (2x) Speedlite 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
The Benro Carbon, four section with ball-head comes in at ~3Lbs - very light. The Gitzo 1542T is 2.2Lbs but then you need to factor in a ball-head, say a Markins Q3T at .83 Lbs, then you would be up around ~3Lbs too.

Ah, good point, I didn't know there were some Benro's a) that light (the link I clicked on said 4.6 lbs, I think? and b) some came with a ball-head, so those are definitely factors.  I might have been able to save a bit!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »