April 23, 2014, 07:47:03 PM

Author Topic: Disappointed and goodbye  (Read 8378 times)

NiceShotSteve

Disappointed and goodbye
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:10:16 PM »
Joined CR a short time ago. I certainly don't mind disagreement, but I quickly tired of the abusive and caustic replies to my few well-intentioned posts. I guess some folks just enjoy flat-out negative criticism. Not whining, just a fact. Better things to do. Good luck and goodbye.

canon rumors FORUM

Disappointed and goodbye
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:10:16 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed and goodbye
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:33:25 PM »
There are some snarky individuals who seem intent on jumping on anyone's post.  The moderators are really busy deleting posts and warning or even banning posters.  Things will cool down a bit, so I'd like to invite you to hang around.

I recall removing a offensive post referencing one of yours a while earlier today.

People need to be free to thoughtfully express a opinion, but a trolling post or a snarky comment annoys most everyone.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:41:52 PM »
This is unfortunate NiceShotSteve.  While this behavior happens, I must say overall I have experienced the opposite from this site since I started to participate and actually got so much out of it in terms of learning and satisfaction.

Negative post seem to occur more around mistical product announcement like the 5DmkIII which we were all waiting for for so long, but in general it is not like that.  I sometime skin through other camera forum and they seem much less constructive then CR forum...

My two cents anyway...I am sticking around anyway  8)
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:54:44 PM »
Its the internets - don't take negative comments seriously.  They are just people being jerks hiding behind their computers.

Come back, the majority of people are nice and informative.

Also, how many mean comments could you have had?  You've only had 10 other posts previous to this one!
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »
We try our best to police the forums, but as of late the number of new posts is staggering.  It will calm down soon as the 5D3 excitement dies down.

It is no small feat to keep the foums from turning into the wild west.  For a prime example of posters gone wild, try going to the NikonRumors forums some time.  Total lack of tact, professionalism, courtesy, helpfulness; and any other positive attribute you could find in an online community.  We pretty much try to be the opposite of that.

I hope you stay, but if not I understand your reasoning.

Seamus

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 11:08:42 PM »
I read some of the negative comments that were directed towards your post... Really inappropriate and undeserved. I found you advice thoughtful and useful. Sorry to see you go, hopefully you will reconcider and give it another go...

YellowJersey

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 11:09:11 PM »
I have to agree. The forums really seem to have been curb stomped under the heavy tread of the stupid fairy with the whole "5d3 sucks!" hysteria. Fanboys are unfortunately something we can never get rid of from the internet.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 11:09:11 PM »

ozzymax

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:09:38 PM »
almost impossible to police. It will happen no what forum you are part of. Just try to ignore it. Being a member lets you ask all your questions with a chance of getting some useful replies.
The only stupid question is the one not asked.

CrimsonBlue

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:24:30 PM »
Hopefully with the removal of the Karma system, there will be fewer newbies hurt by a (trivial) scoring system and we can concentrate on the comments and discussions themselves.   

Sorry to see you go, and hope to see you back some time when the 5D III whining has ceased!
1Ds III • 5D II • 50mm f/1.2L • 85mm f/1.2L • 24-70mm • 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Seamus

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »
Even with all the recent bashing, this forum is much better than most (at least for the forums that I have checked out).

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 11:42:19 PM »
NSS,
I wouldn't leave if I was you. You make good sense and are practical in the advice you offer based on your own experience and thoughtful research. There are a lot of childish equipment hounds here who need more attention than they get from the the photo they are able to produce.

Warninglabel

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Site
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:50 PM »
These forums are nice compared to others(DPreview). Just remember when you were in school, you had lots of people in class you like and had many friends but you also had your class mates that you really didn't like or care for. The trouble makers that always were looking to attack at every mistake. Not so surprising, they never grew up and still don't have true friends, but when they get home from work  ;). They fill important in places like these forums because people react to there post and I'm sure they are the same people in other forums just with different names.

Report abuse
ignore the post
then the post disappears

CR mods great job!!! I'm on these forums about 24 hours a day and you must be really fast at what you do because these forums are really clean and that's why I keep coming back
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:49:53 PM by Warninglabel »
5D Mark III, 7D, 70mm-200mm f/2.8L IS II Speedlite 600EX-RT 24mm - 70mm f/2.8 II
Stop Action Sports | My Google + | Christopher Mitchell Photography

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 11:56:56 PM »
Hopefully with the removal of the Karma system, there will be fewer newbies hurt by a (trivial) scoring system and we can concentrate on the comments and discussions themselves.   

Sorry to see you go, and hope to see you back some time when the 5D III whining has ceased!

Just the opposite. Things have definitely taken a turn for the worse in the few days since Karma was removed. I predict it will only get worse. Like it or not, Karma worked. It helped keep people in line and was a way for the entire community to police one another.

Things have already started to degenerate and unfortunately it appears removing the Karma system will be a big contributor to the problem.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 11:56:56 PM »

roombarobot

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »
I too am new and found this forum to be mostly quite good, but there are some snarky to inappropriate comments.  I always hope for more civility in the world.   

I was debating staying with Canon for my DSLR or switching to Nikon.  I think I got some snark because of this position, but it is a realistic and honest exploration.  I have also been on a Nikon rumors site and have so far found it to be a little bit more friendly for new members to the community.  (Note, I have not been on either forum for long, FWIW.)  However it is not perfect either.

I think all we can do is continually work towards civility.  There are certainly leaders in this online community and you all can do a lot by setting a good example.  Sure, nobody likes to be the denmother, but it helps to set a positive tone.

Thank you all for the help you have given me and for what I have learned from you all.  I respect this group and share a love of photography with you all.  Take care!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:15:17 AM by roombarobot »

NutsAndBolts

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 12:12:59 AM »
Here is a suggestion. Introduce public "recommend" feature so users can recommend a post. This would be a positive encouragement for people to post useful information as opposed to just another comment that does not add much.  And by public, I mean everybody should be able to see who recommended the post.  And you can have the total number of recommends a particular user has gotten displayed next to their name, this would be like karma, the user has been posting useful information.  On the negative side have a "report this post" (you already have it) or some such so that users can alert the admins that it is an inappropriate post.

Just the opposite. Things have definitely taken a turn for the worse in the few days since Karma was removed. I predict it will only get worse. Like it or not, Karma worked. It helped keep people in line and was a way for the entire community to police one another.

Things have already started to degenerate and unfortunately it appears removing the Karma system will be a big contributor to the problem.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 12:12:59 AM »