July 17, 2018, 12:21:54 AM

Author Topic: Why so many complaints about no external recording on the 5D Mark lll?  (Read 11749 times)

Policar

• EOS 7D Mark II
Re: Why so many complaints about no external recording on the 5D Mark lll?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 03:15:27 AM »
1080i via hdmi is probably really 1080psf so with a little pulldown removal you're okay.

External recording might be important to someone.  It certainly makes a difference if you're recording in log mode.  But it's the type of feature that seems more at home with higher end cameras and throwing too much (sound recorder, external video recorder, monitor, etc.) on a dSLR negates its greatest advantages (size, ergonomics, ease and speed of use).

Things that don't appear in specs (subjective look, resolution, skew, aliasing, etc.) are far more important to most users.  When someone starts worrying about clean hdmi out but not about the fuzzy images coming out of the 5DIII you have to wonder about their priorities.  Are there more interested in specs or IQ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 03:15:27 AM »

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M5
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »
Oh wow, straight from the owner's manual, too. Page 257. And from what I've read, it disables internal audio recording altogether, so you'll need a completely separate device to record audio.

Not really. If you're serious enough about using external recording for video then you're probably also recording audio separately too.

I'm very inexperienced with the process, but it seemed a lot easier to sync video/audio tracks when all video contained their own audio. And you get backup audio, even if its awful.

psolberg

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
I'd agree if the camera's built in compression was AVCHD at 24Mb's, but we are talking about H.264 All-I at 90Mb's, so what's the problem? Also, I'm sure an eventual Magic Lantern hack may improve this even more.

read this
http://www.eoshd.com/content/7551/canon-5d-mark-iii-review

AG

• EOS 80D
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 08:18:49 AM »
  It is claimed to autofocus while doing video, which is needed for non pro level video of the kids soccer games, etc.

You guys REALLY need to get off your high horse about this.  There are a lot of good, proper, videographers in the world who do a lot more than shoot soccer games and need this feature.

There are a lot of bloggers out there that classify themselves as journalists too but its not really the same now is it.

AF in video is not needed because true Video lenses such as these Zeiss CP.2 ones...

Do not have the ability to auto focus, everything is manual... thats also why you hire a focus puller etc.

End of the day the 5D3 has a few issues but no more than the 5D2 had when it first came out. Lets just hope that they don't take almost a year to release a firmware update that resolves most of these.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

psolberg

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 09:02:54 AM »
interesting thoughts by philip bloom.

http://philipbloom.net/2012/03/22/5dmk3/

I think it is safe to say the 5DIII isn't really a big leap forward in video. canon is clearly protecting its entry into the high end video market that is dominated by sony and red. thus it cannot allow its line to be canibalized the the 5D any longer.

I think the lack of clean uncompressed HDMI is more of a hardware limitation than a marketing decision though. It is unlikely it will happen either way.

peederj

• EOS 80D
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »
To be quite honest with you, what matters is the subjective viewer experience, and to my own eyes the Panasonics including the GH2 look like Camcorder video and the 5D2 and 5D3 look like moving SLR photographs. Which is vastly preferable to my tastes. Pixel peepers get out.

And remember, the whole problem with Camcorder video was it was over sharpened. Sharpness is no always what you want subjectively...and even when you do, what you usually want is a steep gradient of sharpness which a full frame sensor is much more able to provide than a dinky m43 sensor ever could.

psolberg

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 11:24:31 PM »
To be quite honest with you, what matters is the subjective viewer experience, and to my own eyes the Panasonics including the GH2 look like Camcorder video and the 5D2 and 5D3 look like moving SLR photographs. Which is vastly preferable to my tastes. Pixel peepers get out.

And remember, the whole problem with Camcorder video was it was over sharpened. Sharpness is no always what you want subjectively...and even when you do, what you usually want is a steep gradient of sharpness which a full frame sensor is much more able to provide than a dinky m43 sensor ever could.

Depends on what you do. Shallow dof is meaningless for a lot of shots. The GH2 is not sharpened, it is more detailed. Different things. According to eoshd, the 5d3 is not true 1080, more like upscaled 720. The gh2 is true 1080. You can always soften video. But once resolution is gone, it us gone.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 11:24:31 PM »