July 25, 2014, 01:20:58 AM

Author Topic: How to disable the focus on shutter button on the 5D MkIII if depressed halfway  (Read 14003 times)

jestuh

For the life of me I cannot find the custom function to disable this feature. I dont want the shutter button to focus if depressed halfway.

If you can walk me where in the menu I can do this, that would be awesome!

Thank you in advance

canon rumors FORUM

JerryKnight

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
C. Fn 2, Custom Controls, set the first option (shutter button) to either "Metering Start" or "AE Lock".

This was among the very first things I did to the 5D3 when it arrived. The whole point of back-button focus is to separate the focusing from the shutter activation. The AE Lock (on shutter half-press) is handy when shooting Av/Tv because you can focus on one point, meter on another, recompose, and activate the shutter independently. Total control.

Edit:  I just saw how Canon chose to abbreviate the setting name.. "Shutter Butt. half-press". Really, Canon? There's no other way to abbreviate "button"?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:00:53 PM by JerryKnight »

jestuh

Found it! Whewww! Thank you!!

YUP! Your exactly right! Its the very FIRST thing I wanted to configure and man that was tough! LOL!

C. Fn 2, Custom Controls, set the first option (shutter button) to either "Metering Start" or "AE Lock".

This was among the very first things I did to the 5D3 when it arrived. The whole point of back-button focus is to separate the focusing from the shutter activation. The AE Lock (on shutter half-press) is handy when shooting Av/Tv because you can focus on one point, meter on another, recompose, and activate the shutter independently. Total control.

Edit:  I just saw how Canon chose to abbreviate the setting name.. "Shutter Butt. half-press". Really, Canon? There's no other way to abbreviate "button"?

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography

Perfect timing, instead of digging through the manual tomorrow when I get mine :)

Indeed, someone forgot to proof the firmware developers  ;D
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

kiniro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
For the life of me I cannot find the custom function to disable this feature. I dont want the shutter button to focus if depressed halfway.
Pardon my ignorance, but why or when would you want to not focus on half press?

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

Its not ignorant at all...thanks for asking.  Its frequently preferable to use the center point for a tack sharp focus, then you shift off center to compose your overall image and then shoot.  Also, you may spend considerable time getting something in focus and don't want it to adjust automatically. Yes, you could turn off manual focus, but that means you have remember something.  With the focus un-associated with the shutter, you don't have to remember.  There are other reasons I'm sure, but those are some common ones.

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile

It's not a ignorant question, a lot of people will wonder why would you want to do this....until you've tried it and realize what an awesome function it is.

Example:  multiple focus points active is going to give the camera the power to select a focus point.  Guess what?  When you depress the shutter button it's going to AF and possibly grab a point you don't want.  Worse, if you're using flash you just told it "hey, light up this point way over here".

Example:  AI Servo.  No need to 1/2 depress the shutter to track.  Just push the AF start button and track away...fire when you want to...release the AF start and you can keep shooting without the camera attempting to do an AF.

Example: AF then re-compose.  Push the AF start to lock the focus...recompose the shot...press the shutter.

Example: Lock focus and keep shooting.  Push the AF start to lock focus.  Then shoot all you want.  Camera will not attempt to refocus.

You'll never have to do a 1/2 press balancing act again.

canon rumors FORUM

kiniro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Sweet.  Thanks guys.  And sorry, didn't mean to steer this thread away from its original purpose.

JerryKnight

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Sweet.  Thanks guys.  And sorry, didn't mean to steer this thread away from its original purpose.

I don't think it's been steered away from the topic, which is back-button focus. Once I learned about it, I can't shoot any other way. It's a disease.  :D

Canon didn't make it obvious on how to "enable" back-button focus (by disabling shutter button focus), but they did give much more expanded flexibility with the camera controls vs. the 5D2.

fotoray

• EOS M2
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
p. 321 of the user's manual covers the focus enable/disable of both the shutter button and back-buttons... :)
5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF-S 60 macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

I don't think it's been steered away from the topic, which is back-button focus. Once I learned about it, I can't shoot any other way. It's a disease.  :D

Canon didn't make it obvious on how to "enable" back-button focus (by disabling shutter button focus), but they did give much more expanded flexibility with the camera controls vs. the 5D2.

ditto i love back button focus, it drives my wife nuits though when she picks up my cameras because she doesnt set hers up that way. i'll convert her one day though!
APS-H Fanboy

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography

Yea, I heard of this for a while, then finally tried it. Love it! Only problem is if I hand the camera to someone else to take a shot (for example, so I'm actually in it!) then I need to quick go in and fix it to the shutter again.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)

JerryKnight

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

Yea, I heard of this for a while, then finally tried it. Love it! Only problem is if I hand the camera to someone else to take a shot (for example, so I'm actually in it!) then I need to quick go in and fix it to the shutter again.

That's okay. Throw it in "green square" mode and it should act like a "normal" camera.

Although, I'm not sure I understand why anyone would use their mighty 5D3 to take a casual group shot. The list of people I'd trust to hold and shoot mine is very short.

canon rumors FORUM

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography

That's okay. Throw it in "green square" mode and it should act like a "normal" camera.

Although, I'm not sure I understand why anyone would use their mighty 5D3 to take a casual group shot. The list of people I'd trust to hold and shoot mine is very short.

Well, this was with my 5d2 when it wasn't quite so shiny new, and with people I trusted to hold it (even if they weren't photographers). Also, the green square mode won't to RAW for me to edit later, will it?

Anyway, you make a good point. I should just setup a C1-3 to do that for me, as well as set it to some decent/sane defaults so I can throw it back to go back to 'defaults'.

odie

On the subject of focussing with the 5D3, when I focus and the camera locks onto it, the red square no longer lights up. It just flashes and then goes dark giving me a beep to indicate focus is completed.

Can I get back to the old 5D2 mode where the red box stays on?

canon rumors FORUM