October 21, 2014, 10:41:36 PM

Author Topic: 5D mkI with Tamron questions - and alternatives for low light stuff.  (Read 2112 times)

bisonheed

Looking to buy a cheap(ish) wide f2.8 for my 5D, and was told that the Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di ll LD ASPHERICAL would fit, but it is obviously designed for a cropped sensor and can't find a definitive answer to whether it'll fit or not and function correctly.

Can anyone let me know if it works or not? And gives true 17mm if it does?

Is it the same deal with the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 Di LD??

I'm confused beyond belief - any help would be greatly received to end my brain arguing with itself.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:55:26 PM by bisonheed »

canon rumors FORUM

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 5D mkI with Tamron questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:59:51 PM »
I have read of people being able to use the Tokina 11-16 at 15 or 16mm on FF cameras (Google it, one example is http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm#fx).  The image circle for APS-C cameras is smaller than FF, so the wider focal ranges of the zooms designed for APS-C will result in heavily vignetted images on FF (true for the Tokina example).  And yes, the 16mm from the Tokina would give a similar FOV as the 16mm lens designed for FF.  If the same thing holds true for the Tamrons you're looking at, they would also only be useful at their longer end.

bisonheed

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:30:40 AM »
Yeah, I had heard so many good things about the Tamron so wanted to check. I know its built for a cropped sensor, but I'm almost certain I read somewhere the other day that it would work on the 5D. Yes it would VIG, but not too bad and would give true 17mm on a FF. It didn't sit right with me at the time and couldnt get a definitive answer.

Thanks though mate, I'll check the details about the Tokina.

bonedaddy.p7

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • I Like Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 01:31:13 PM »
I personally wouldn't use the Tamron 17-50 on a full frame camera; it has a lip on the back that I'd be worried about the mirror hitting. I'll try to get some time and take photos tonight of the back of it and an EF lens for comparison. Image circle is always a concern but if you can accept that, more power to you (I personally couldn't handle losing so many pixels for that reason, it further limits cropping ability)
Canon XTi, AE-1 Program, Rebel II, Tamron 17-50 VC, Zenitar-M 50/1.7 and a bunch of other cheap lenses (50/1.8FD, 18-55 EF-S Kit, 35-70 Kit, 80-200 4.5-5.6). S100 classic.

bisonheed

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »
Yeah, I'm checking out alternatives. I do low light music stuff and ideally I'd love the 16-35mm canon, but can't justify buying that at the minute. Might go for the 85 1.8 and possibly something else to cover the range for bigger brighter venues. Gonna be buying this weekend hopefully because I'm using minimal equipment just now!

Cheers man

bonedaddy.p7

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • I Like Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
Re: 5D mkI with Tamron questions - and alternatives for low light stuff.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:19 PM »
Ok, forgive the CA and otherwise poor shot but I didn't spend much time and used a "meh" lens...anyway, happily, I was mistaken, the 17-50 does not have the lip that I thought it did, so you should be OK on clearance (I'd doubly verify but my Rebel II doesn't have a good battery right now).

Anyway, on the left is an EF mount, the other 2 are technically EF-S, but as you can see, the Tamron does not have the lens element past the mount that you see on the middle, kit lens.

I used to take lots of photos at late night events (AKA "Raves") and I found that 2.8-3.5 was just barely enough. I typically got the best results from my 50MM/1.8 FD on my AE-1 Program while shooting at F1.8-2. Attached are a couple examples, one at 1.8, one at around 2.8 with flash.
Canon XTi, AE-1 Program, Rebel II, Tamron 17-50 VC, Zenitar-M 50/1.7 and a bunch of other cheap lenses (50/1.8FD, 18-55 EF-S Kit, 35-70 Kit, 80-200 4.5-5.6). S100 classic.

bisonheed

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 09:27:34 AM »
Thanks for taking the time mate, really appreciate that. Went to a local 'expert' and they were clueless and didn't have any in stock for me to look at.

Think mind is made up now though, thinking I'll get a 50 1.4, and with any cash left I'll try pick up something that might work ok with flas

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 09:27:34 AM »

Gatorsv80

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 01:11:29 AM »
When I first bought my 5D, I was looking for the same thing.  I owned a Nikon D300 with a 17-50mm Tamron.  Loved that lens.  Will not work on full frame.  You end up with almost a circle in the middle of the frame if I can remember correctly.  So I bought the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 (an older version.)  Worked okay, but I wasn't as impressed with it as I was with the 17-50mm.  Looks like they have a new version on Amazon for $500.  Also heard Tamron was making a 24-70mm VC.  Not sure when that'll be coming out.

By the way, I own the Tamron 17-35mm for landscapes.  It's okay.  Got it for less than $300 about 4 years ago brand new.  Don't use it much because of the heavy distortions. (For people shots, you really have to get close to get the full wide-angle effect.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:14:44 AM by Gatorsv80 »

MazV-L

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 02:13:26 AM »
I have the Tamron SP AF aspherical Di LD (if)17-35mm 2.8-4, which I did use (not much) with my 5D classic, I'll be e-baying it soon, I really prefer Canon L glass.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 02:13:26 AM »