September 22, 2014, 06:37:22 AM

Author Topic: 5D MKIII vs 1Ds MKIII  (Read 22073 times)

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 5D MKIII vs 1Ds MKIII
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »
Where do you you live?
I'm in New Zealand.  :o

I find myself shooting in bad weather from  time to time (as seen in these photos), and needless to say, my 40D started to experience problems that day due to the rain.  Which is why, if the 5D3's weather proofing is poor, I need to keep looking at a 1-series body.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any quantifiable way of testing such a thing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:08:31 PM by smithy »
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »

GL

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »
In that sort of rain I'd always use a rain sleeve like the Think Tank Hydrophobia or one of the Canon versions. There's just no point taking a chance - even a small nick on the sealing of a lens (as happened with my 70-200 II) will compromise the weatherproofing on a 1-series body. Unless you're a PJ or in a war zone, why not just use simple protective gear for your camera?

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »
In that sort of rain I'd always use a rain sleeve like the Think Tank Hydrophobia or one of the Canon versions. There's just no point taking a chance - even a small nick on the sealing of a lens (as happened with my 70-200 II) will compromise the weatherproofing on a 1-series body. Unless you're a PJ or in a war zone, why not just use simple protective gear for your camera?
That's a valid point - although can you change lenses with one of those sleeves attached?
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2012, 05:55:35 AM »
That's a valid point - although can you change lenses with one of those sleeves attached?

Nah, there's velcro straps that wraps around your lens to keep the rain sleeve in place.

If you're going to change lens, either find a sheltered position from the rain or carry two cameras - each with a rain sleeve.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »
I have to get the 1DsIII out of my head now, even though there are some great prices out there.  I need video too, so 5D3 it is. 
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
@briansquibb: Do you concur with my experiences? Another question in your direction. How satisfied are you with your 1D4? I have upgraded from the 1D3 to the 1D4 using it next to my 1Ds and I am not very happy. While the AF is pretty damn good, the overall image quality is far below the 1Ds. For critical work, I'd never pull out the 1D4. I'm using the 1D4 for sports though, national league hockey and national league and UEFA football.

I had the pleasure of using the 5DIII(not mine) on set and the IQ from it is excellent - pretty much the same as the 1Ds3. As an all round camera now I would choose the 5DIII as there is more functionality and no less in picture IQ

As for the 1D4 I use it for faster moving shots and as such it is very good. I feel the 1Ds3 has the edge but not by much when using iso 100/200 but after that the 1D4 soon catches up. I upgraded from the 7D to the 1D4 and that was a major upgrade in functionality and IQ - as you say the weatherproofing is very reasuring.

I use both the 1D4 and 1Ds3 for sports and perform well. Likewise I sometimes use the 1D4 for worse light such as theatre. I am considering buying a second 1D4.

Here is a method that I use to keep the iso down on the 1D4 - quite key for best IQ

Objective: Set set a minimum and maximum shutter speed. In Av mode if the shutter speed dropped below the mimimum then the ISO would be bumped up so that the minimum was reached again.

Method:

- enable safety shift (iso speed) C.Fn 1 - 8
- set shutter speed range C.fn 1 - 12 (  set the minimum shutter speed )

In the field:

- set the Av value
- set the base iso value (can be L so then it acts as auto iso)
- set exp comp as needed (yes we get exp comp and auto iso this way)

I have photographed karts so I set the minimum Tv to 1/500, Av at f/4 and iso100 which was about the critical point. ISO went up and down as expected, Tv went above 500 when the cloud lifted

So there you are - how to get auto iso with iso and Av limits set.

This applies to the Series 1 only

Wonderful tip , I wonder if it works on 1 d III ?

briansquibb

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »
For those potential 5DIII owners - just remember the 1D4 high iso is pretty good - the 5DIII isn't the only body that delivers clean images at high iso. It was on the dark side in the stables

Camera Model   Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Shooting Date/Time   20/04/2012 14:08:17
Shooting Mode   Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed )   1/500
Av( Aperture Value )   9.0
Exposure Compensation   0
ISO Speed   12800
Auto ISO Speed   ON
Lens   EF200mm f/2L IS USM
Focal Length   200.0mm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2012, 08:26:42 PM »
I'm now wishing that I had bought the used 1DS Mark III when I had the chance.  Someone else bought the copy I wanted, and then my choices were taken away from me.  :(

Oh well, I'll just probably go for the 5D III afterall and hope it's somehow going to be worth $5135.  The used 1DS for $4000 sounded so much better.  So does the new D800 at $4500.  But my wife has forbidden me from even thinking about switching to the Nikon ha ha.  Not because she knows anything about camera systems, but because she knows how much it costs to replace lenses.

Brian, could you tell us the story of your photo?  On its own it looks a bit odd, but I'm sure with some context it would make more sense!  :)

briansquibb

« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2012, 03:27:44 AM »
I'm now wishing that I had bought the used 1DS Mark III when I had the chance.  Someone else bought the copy I wanted, and then my choices were taken away from me.  :(

Oh well, I'll just probably go for the 5D III afterall and hope it's somehow going to be worth $5135.  The used 1DS for $4000 sounded so much better.  So does the new D800 at $4500.  But my wife has forbidden me from even thinking about switching to the Nikon ha ha.  Not because she knows anything about camera systems, but because she knows how much it costs to replace lenses.

Brian, could you tell us the story of your photo?  On its own it looks a bit odd, but I'm sure with some context it would make more sense!  :)

I am a volunteer at our local goat sanctuary - and also the resident photographer :)

The sanctury relies on donations to keep functioning so we provide constant streams of pictures to keep public awareness high.

Every month we have an open day where we get up to 1000 people. Now as much as goats are nice we also make up themed displays - for example showing newcomers since the last open day, spotlights on individual and interesting goats, etc etc.

Our next open day is at the beginning of May so we are focussing on the youngsters, either from this year or last - about 10 kids. The message that we always push forward is a positive one - that the sanctuary takes in abused, neglected or abandoned goats and gives them the best treatment and care. We DONT show cases where they in bad shape when they arrive - we show them in better shape, with just a few words describing their background - telling the people how their money has turned around the lives of the goats.

At the open day the visitors and goats mingle freely in the fields - we have about 150 goats of all shapes and sizes at the moment. The visual images of the names goats on our displays gives people a way of connecting with and identifying the goats.

The picture is one of a series that I took showing how we care for the goats - in this case the interraction between goats and keepers. I always take pictures that the visitors can relate to when walking round - in this case a stable. The kid is now about 1 year old and arrived with us when a few weeks old when it was dumped at our gate overnight. This is the keeper that had to bottle feed it - it was painfully thin.

I have a goat that follows me round the field that I use as a rest for the camera when taking pictures. As I avoid getting close to a lot of newcomers (they are usually jumpy on arrival) I kneel down behind my goat and rest the 400 f/2.8 across her back - gets me to the right height as well :) My goat gets well fed by me:)

Goats are great subject to take pictures of - technically difficult due to the high contrast coats, long faces that need a deep DOF, eyes that reflect flash from most angles and they are constantly on the move.

Here is another of this series - and one from two years ago

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:35:10 AM by briansquibb »

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2012, 07:41:31 AM »
Thanks Brian, I like this story.  :)  My wife loves goats.  Even before we were married (a good decade and a half ago), she wanted her own pet goat.  I showed her your post and she appreciated it!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2012, 07:41:31 AM »