March 06, 2015, 03:00:22 AM

Author Topic: Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!  (Read 60721 times)

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Hi Roo.
Very nice shots, love the mini tornado, the wall of fire looks spectacular!

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks Graham

Here's a few of the WW1 aircraft flying

Very nice series Roo.

The airplane in the fourth picture is odd.
Doesn't seem te be one that was used in the period that the nazis were in power. So don't get it why they put a swastika.

The Nazi swastika was quite different, it was at 45º and the 'legs' went the other way. As it is drawn on the earlier plane it is as the religious symbol in India and the Far East, it is important in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism, and is sometimes actually drawn the other way around too. But I believe only the Nazi's drew it at 45º. In Europe and the USA it is very stigmatised and closely connected to Fascism and extreme right wing leaning people, whereas in India and the Far East it has no such connotations and is considered auspicious. It is a little disconcerting the first few times Westerners see it daubed randomly in holy places though.

Obviously it is a German plane and I am sure it progressed from the original auspicious symbol it represents as drawn into the Nazi version many of us are familiar with.

True, the Nazis used the swastika as you said 45 degrees but also mirrored compared to the sign on the plane.
The combination of the black cross (implication that it is a German - or Nazis - airplane) and the swastika (the way it is drawn here on the airplane) is questionable. If it would be an Indian plane the swastika could make sense but not the black cross. Just puzzled here...
5D3 w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-105L  |  TAMRON 24-70  |  70-200 ƒ/2.8L IS II  |  100-400L II  |  35 ƒ/2 IS  |  SIGMA 50Art  |  1.4xIII

canon rumors FORUM

Zekealot

• SX60 HS
  • w
    • View Profile
There were a few famous WW1 pilots that used the eastern swastika as a personal symbol, it's not intended to be the Naza swastika

Roo

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Hi Roo.
Yet again very nice shots, do you know, are they replicas or preserved originals?

Cheers, Graham.

There was a mixture of restoration, reproduction and replica aircraft Graham.  Most of the 11 flying at the show came from the Vintage Aviator in NZ.  It took them 5 days to dismantle and pack them into a container and another 3 days to reassemble when they got here (they assure me there were no left over parts!). A couple of the replicas were made years ago for the movie the Blue Max including a Pfalz copy that was made from a Gypsy Moth.  They can now make reproduction Mercedes aero engines. They said the parts are relatively cheap but a full reproduction aircraft will still cost you 7 figures.
5Diii, 60D,GoPro Hero 4, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
Hi Roo.
I don't doubt that, has anyone come out with a saying for plane similar to the boat one? As in BOAT means Bust Out Another Thousand!

Cheers, Graham.

They said the parts are relatively cheap but a full reproduction aircraft will still cost you 7 figures.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

dhr90

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Hi Roo.
I don't doubt that, has anyone come out with a saying for plane similar to the boat one? As in BOAT means Bust Out Another Thousand!

Cheers, Graham.

They said the parts are relatively cheap but a full reproduction aircraft will still cost you 7 figures.

Can't help you with planes, but LOTUS (the car maker), means Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious.
Canon 7D, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, Tokina AT-X124 12-24 f4 AF PRO DX II

canon rumors FORUM

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
5D3 w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-105L  |  TAMRON 24-70  |  70-200 ƒ/2.8L IS II  |  100-400L II  |  35 ƒ/2 IS  |  SIGMA 50Art  |  1.4xIII

canon rumors FORUM