August 24, 2016, 11:03:35 PM

Author Topic: Your favourite motorsports events  (Read 98272 times)

tomscott

• 1D Mark IV
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • Tom Scott | Photography
Re: Your favourite motorsports events
« Reply #375 on: August 22, 2016, 04:28:21 PM »
Hi Tom.
Great shot, nice panning, what shutter speed did you use?

Hi Roo.
Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one who looked at shots like this and assessed the brake bias before the general composition!  ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Nissan R91CK Nova Engineering

Highlight of shooting Silverstone Classic this year, one of my favourite events the Group C! Late on the Saturday night it's a twilight event. The noise and drama is out of this world with red hot discs and exhaust fire... Does it get better? The Forma Nissan chasing the incredible Jaguar XJR14 Silk Cut Purple

7DMKII 100-400mm MKII

Thanks Graham

1/60th F4.5 100mm the 100-400 with its inbuilt stabilisation is amazing in mode 2 no need for a monopod anymore except to save my arms!!  ;D
5D MKIII 7D MKII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 L 100mm F2.8 L 70-200mm F2.8 II L 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 II L 2x II 1.4X III 580EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #375 on: August 22, 2016, 04:28:21 PM »

Roo

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #376 on: August 22, 2016, 09:50:37 PM »
Hi Tom.

Hi Roo.
Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one who looked at shots like this and assessed the brake bias before the general composition!  ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Highlight of shooting Silverstone Classic this year, one of my favourite events the Group C! Late on the Saturday night it's a twilight event. The noise and drama is out of this world with red hot discs and exhaust fire... Does it get better? The Forma Nissan chasing the incredible Jaguar XJR14 Silk Cut Purple

7DMKII 100-400mm MKII

Hahaha - your eyes are drawn to the bright parts of an image so it is part of the composition ;D
5Diii, 60D,GoPro Hero 4, Canon 16-35 f4L, Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is II, Canon 50 f1.8 STM, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 f2.8macro, Tamron 150-600

Stewart K

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Still learning!
« Reply #377 on: August 23, 2016, 01:08:03 AM »
Hi Tom.

Hi Roo.

Cheers, Graham.

7DMKII 100-400mm MKII

Hahaha - your eyes are drawn to the bright parts of an image so it is part of the composition ;D

When I started this thread, I wondered how long it would take to bring out all the true petrol heads, so we’re on page 26 and here you all are  ;D
EOS 5DIII - EOS 70D - EF 100-400L - EF 24-105L - EF 16-35L ƒ2.8 II - EF 100 ƒ2.8 USM Macro - EF 50 ƒ1.4 USM - EF 1.4xIII - Sigma 10-20 ƒ4-5.6 - Speedlight 600EX-RT
Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/126853167@N07/

Valvebounce

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
« Reply #378 on: August 23, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »
Hi Roo.
You know what I meant  ::) smart Alec.  :o ;D  I analysed the car before analysing picture but I guess technically you are correct.  ;D

Hi Stewart.
I'm sorry, I thought I made it quite clear from the start that I was a gearhead. Does this mean I'm not allowed here or should it be gearheads only.  ;D
Edit, I just took a couple of iPad shots, I'm sat at my upstairs workbench having lunch and this is what surrounds me, two gearboxes in bits and most of an overdrive unit I'm rebuilding! Is that enough gears?  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cheers, Graham.
Ps just in case it is lost in translation, Roo I'm only joking.

Hi Tom.

Hi Roo.

Cheers, Graham.

7DMKII 100-400mm MKII

When I started this thread, I wondered how long it would take to bring out all the true petrol heads, so we’re on page 26 and here you all are  ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:44:17 AM by Valvebounce »
7DII+Grip, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, 5D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 2x III, Σ150-500, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, 550EX, Triopo TR-985, Godox FC-16, Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!

5D, 20D, 24-105, BG-E4, BG-E2N, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned. 😀

tomscott

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #379 on: August 23, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
N0. 78 1965 2.0 Porsche 911 Classic GT Cars (pre '66) Silverstone Classics 2016 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

1965 2.0 Porsche 911 Classic GT Cars (pre '66)

Heres another from Silverstone Classics 2016.

Nothing more thrilling than watching a 911 drifting through Abbey, the first bend at Silverstone Classic. Especially when your only a few feet away! One of my favourite cars of all time especially as the sun goes down in full attack mode! Fantastic race.

Canon 7DMKII 24-70 F2.8

50mm F5.6 1/100th ISO 100
5D MKIII 7D MKII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 L 100mm F2.8 L 70-200mm F2.8 II L 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 II L 2x II 1.4X III 580EX

Valvebounce

« Reply #380 on: August 23, 2016, 05:11:03 PM »
Hi Tom.
Yet another great shot. I'm sure you only share the best, but I'm curious as to what percentage of keepers you get with your slow shutter panning, I'd guess my keeper rate when panning is <10%, possibly even <5%!  :-[ Even then they are seldom of the quality of yours.

Cheers, Graham.

Nothing more thrilling than watching a 911 drifting through Abbey, the first bend at Silverstone Classic. Especially when your only a few feet away! One of my favourite cars of all time especially as the sun goes down in full attack mode! Fantastic race.

Canon 7DMKII 24-70 F2.8

7DII+Grip, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, 5D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 2x III, Σ150-500, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, 550EX, Triopo TR-985, Godox FC-16, Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!

tomscott

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #381 on: August 23, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »
Hi Tom.
Yet another great shot. I'm sure you only share the best, but I'm curious as to what percentage of keepers you get with your slow shutter panning, I'd guess my keeper rate when panning is <10%, possibly even <5%!  :-[ Even then they are seldom of the quality of yours.

Cheers, Graham.

Canon 7DMKII 24-70 F2.8

Thanks graham! Appreciate it!

It really depends on the situation in this case the cars are coming down the international Pits into abbey so the cars are probably traveling at 120-150mph depending on the car, at this speed and being right on the corner getting the shot exactly where you want it is really tough and depends when you start focusing on the car as the difference between it coming in and being at the apex is a split second then your at a full side view to the rear so the camera does struggle so in this case it's really quite difficult especially with the car coming toward you. But the 7DMKII is much easier to use than my 5DMKIII because it shoots so quick meaning you get more chance and the focus points are spread much further in the viewfinder. It also depends on what technique you use the car above was literally 10ft away so the speed at which you have to move the camera is much more violent the closer you are making it much more difficult.

On this occasion it's maybe 10% and a lot are binned to get the right shot but thankfully there are plenty of laps to get one of each car. But it depends what you class as a keeper as I don't really shoot to document I shoot with the idea of creating a more artistic visually stimulating image so sometimes the blur adds to the image. Sometimes not.

Side pans are the easiest and I get probably 85% depending on how the car is traveling whether it's accelerating decelerating etc and how fast they are traveling. Also depends on the cars the group C and F1 cars are the most difficult because they speed up and slow down so quickly making even the best AF system struggle.

But like I say it's all dependant on distance and when your track side your much closer which sometimes makes life more difficult. At the same time the faster the car and being closer means you can up the shutter speed and still get nice images. There is a correlation between the corner, entry speed and distance and it does take a while to work it out. I was shooting the above at 1/60th and got absolutely nothing worth while looking at upped it to 100 and got some nice images and even at 160 got some really nice images. So depends on the situation and getting it right is hard!

But the newest tech really helps first time shooting an automotive event with the 7DMKII  and it blew me away too many keepers! The 100-400 MKII really helped too it's IS is amazing.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:06:08 PM by tomscott »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #381 on: August 23, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »

Valvebounce

« Reply #382 on: August 23, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »
Hi Tom.
Ok now I'm blown away, tracking these speed demons at 10ft away (btw green with envy at you being that close) I feel I should be backing away whilst bowing graciously to such talent. I had trouble (as in I was afraid I would injure myself) panning the Goodwood revival cars from 3 or 4 times that distance as they passed me on the Lavant straight, probably doing about that speed, couldn't manage it and had to move up to Woodcote corner braking area to have a chance of keeping them in the frame.
With regards to the 7DII, I find that I get a lot of missed focus shots and would love to hand it to someone like yourself who has good success with their 7DII so that you could take some shots then hand it back and say it was definitely me not the camera that had the issue, I'm reluctant to blame the camera (poor craftsman always blames his tools) but I have heard so many "I have focus issues" reports that I'm not convinced. I would be happy to hear it was me as I'm sure I am the weak link in the system but uncertainty is distracting.
Thanks for an interesting expanded answer to my question.

Cheers, Graham. 

Hi Tom.

Cheers, Graham.

Canon 7DMKII 24-70 F2.8

Thanks graham! Appreciate it!

It really depends on the situation in this case the cars are coming down the international Pits into abbey so the cars are probably traveling at 120-150mph depending on the car, at this speed and being right on the corner getting the shot exactly where you want it is really tough and depends when you start focusing on the car as the difference between it coming in and being at the apex is a split second then your at a full side view to the rear so the camera does struggle so in this case it's really quite difficult especially with the car coming toward you. But the 7DMKII is much easier to use than my 5DMKIII because it shoots so quick meaning you get more chance and the focus points are spread much further in the viewfinder. It also depends on what technique you use the car above was literally 10ft away so the speed at which you have to move the camera is much more violent the closer you are making it much more difficult.

On this occasion it's maybe 10% and a lot are binned to get the right shot but thankfully there are plenty of laps to get one of each car. But it depends what you class as a keeper as I don't really shoot to document I shoot with the idea of creating a more artistic visually stimulating image so sometimes the blur adds to the image. Sometimes not.

Side pans are the easiest and I get probably 85% depending on how the car is traveling whether it's accelerating decelerating etc and how fast they are traveling. Also depends on the cars the group C and F1 cars are the most difficult because they speed up and slow down so quickly making even the best AF system struggle.

But like I say it's all dependant on distance and when your track side your much closer which sometimes makes life more difficult. At the same time the faster the car and being closer means you can up the shutter speed and still get nice images. There is a correlation between the corner, entry speed and distance and it does take a while to work it out. I was shooting the above at 1/60th and got absolutely nothing worth while looking at upped it to 100 and got some nice images and even at 160 got some really nice images. So depends on the situation and getting it right is hard!

But the newest tech really helps first time shooting an automotive event with the 7DMKII  and it blew me away too many keepers! The 100-400 MKII really helped too it's IS is amazing.

tomscott

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #383 on: Today at 05:30:49 AM »
Its certainly not for the faint hearted but thankfully that corner is a long, wide and fairly well protected as the cars should naturally spin away from you! haha you hope anyway!

I've read lots of unfair criticism of the MKII some I agree with some I don't. I have found it to be a fantastic adversary and use it a great deal. Its been in some very inhospitable places, I took it across africa for 2 months through rain forrest harsh dessert and then through south east asia through rainy season and it didn't miss a beat and I barely missed a shot. Although I have had the odd image that has been out of focus I generally haven't had many problems. I shot a wedding using it as a second camera and did have a couple of images which were OOF which were questionable but every camera i have owned has done that at some point. Silverstone was a good test, over the 3 days I shot around 10,000 images with the 7D and apart from panning the camera didn't really miss. Setting the camera up properly is essential with the 7DMKII as the focus points cover so much of the frame the focus mode really does determine the outcome much more than the 5DMKIII. The 5Ds focus points cover much less of the frame so when shooting motorsport most of the points cover the subject so its much easier for the system to track exactly what you want. The 7Ds on the other hand I found it would catch where gravel turns into grass etc so is much more sensitive.

I did have a few problems in Africa but it was more because at 600mm and over the atmospheric issues become a much bigger problem with heat rising so that was a learning curve for me as I was using the 100-400mm with a 1.4 at times which is nearly 900mm on the 7D. The heat was making the camera struggle to focus and when it did the animal was distorted and OOF. But that was me not the camera.

It depends, I've read a lot of people saying that the 7DII just won't focus rather than it focusing on the wrong area of the frame, but I would argue that the above with people using FF cameras that is their problem. The points are also a lot bigger on the 7DMKII in comparison to the frame so its easier for the camera to misinterpret at small apertures. Im not sure if there is problems with certain cameras or not but it just doesn't make sense to me with how mine has performed.

Its definitely a camera that needs practice to use and has its quirks.

What sort of issues have you been having? Also what lenses have you been using? Because of the MP the camera is much more susceptible to movement than the previous 7 and a really good 4 stop IS lens really makes the difference especially in mode 2 and 3 for motorsport!

Valvebounce

« Reply #384 on: Today at 08:01:26 PM »
Hi Tom.
Unfortunately crashing cars don't always abide by what you think they should do, be safe out there.

As for the camera, even with high shutter speeds that should eliminate tracking error and aperture that should provide sufficient depth of field it seems that the first shot (AI Servo) can be oof, next sharp, next couple oof (or not as sharp), then some sharp. I know that with the 70-200 f2.8 II this camera can catch a target lightning quick for a snatch shot, I also know that for tracking one should try to give the camera time to establish a good focus lock before the first shot. I have AI Servo 1st shot set to focus not speed, 2nd shot focus not speed. Things understandably get worse with the 2xIII on the 70-200, and my older Σ150-500 is a lot slower to AF and often just goes walkabout of its own accord if the contrast is low so I don't take any real notice of its behaviour.
I also noticed last weekend at the Bournemouth Air Festival that when I was tracking planes keeping the plane as close to centre as possible the AF boxes would seem to fall off the back of the plane, only way to get them back on was to stop AF and start again, back button method. Initially I put this down to the light, cloud and the colour of the planes being similar to the clouds, but then the Red Arrows came on and gave the same problem. I have the EOS iTR AF enabled as it seems this should help in pretty much any situation.

Cheers, Graham.

Its certainly not for the faint hearted but thankfully that corner is a long, wide and fairly well protected as the cars should naturally spin away from you! haha you hope anyway!

What sort of issues have you been having? Also what lenses have you been using? Because of the MP the camera is much more susceptible to movement than the previous 7 and a really good 4 stop IS lens really makes the difference especially in mode 2 and 3 for motorsport!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #384 on: Today at 08:01:26 PM »