September 17, 2014, 02:06:39 PM

Author Topic: online photo courses...  (Read 1791 times)

canon23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
online photo courses...
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »
Hey Photogs,

Just wondering if anyone has ever taken any online photography courses with institutes such as NY Institute of Photography or the Institute of Photography, etc (or others, if so, which ones).  If so, please tell me of your experiences and input/feebacks.  Thanks!
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, II, Sigma 35 1.4 DG, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50 1.8 , Speedlite 430EX, YN 568 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

online photo courses...
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
If you are thinking of getting a degree that anyone would recognize as legitimate, you must select a nationally accredited school, otherwise, a diploma probably is not worth the paper its printed on.

Checking this is the first step, but its critical, as there are many scammers out there.

NY Institute of Photography IS accredited1

You can check others here at the database published by the US government:

http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Much quicker if you buy a few 1 series and a few 2.8 L zooms.  Business is about image.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
Hey Photogs,

Just wondering if anyone has ever taken any online photography courses with institutes such as NY Institute of Photography or the Institute of Photography, etc (or others, if so, which ones).  If so, please tell me of your experiences and input/feebacks.  Thanks!

What kind of photography are you interested in? As the guy above said, try instead buying some good gear. Then, Iwould advise to go and study with a big name pro in one of their workshops. You want people pictures? Syl Arena does Canon Speedlight teaching pixsylated.com/blog. You want birds? Try an IPT with Arthur Morris birdsasart.com.  Google can provide you with many more...

You will get much better and more realistic training, plus you will get to know important people in the field.
What is truth?

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

You will get much better and more realistic training, plus you will get to know important people in the field.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
online photo courses...
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:00:45 PM »
Hi Photogs,

I consider myself an advance beginner and have developed a serious interest in photography. I have bought myself some new gears recently but understand that great photography takes a lot more than nice equipment. I've done some research online on online courses and basically came down to NY Institute of Technology or Photography Institute (if anyone knows of any others, please advise).
My goal is to become a professional on a part time, freelance, or full time basis. For now, my interest is in wedding photography. I understand there's some of you with the belief that I can learn these skills by reading books, learning on the internet and going out to shoot and shoot. I believe that too. But this could take me much more time vs. a organized, structured layout of an online course will likely be much faster in polishing my skills (on the learning techniques, etc.)
My questions to you who have taken an online photography course recently (I understand NYIP has had their share of negatives mainly due to outdated materials) either with NYIP, PI or any other programs. What are your experiences, positives and negatives?

Any other suggestions or feedbacks on pursuing my goal?

Thanks!
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, II, Sigma 35 1.4 DG, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50 1.8 , Speedlite 430EX, YN 568 EX II

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: online photo courses...
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »
Not really a photo course, but I highly recommend getting on the Photoflex.com mailing list. The have great lessons and they are free. Also recommend Strobist. (I am assuming you want technical lessons, as opposed to history and aesthetics, which is a personal interest of mine).

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

Re: online photo courses...
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »