July 28, 2014, 04:47:44 PM

Author Topic: Issues with Black Rapid?  (Read 13087 times)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with Black Rapid?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
Having tried them all, Spider-Pro is the undisputed King. I stand by every positive comment made about them. I also have the twin holster belt.

I can RUN while wearing it on with a 24-70 f/2.8 on one side and the 70-200 f/2.8 on the other, both on 1-series bodies with my hands free to carry a third body with a 300 f/2.8 on a monopod.

Come to think of it, I can't recall ever reading a negative comment about Spider-Pro.

Paul Wright

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »
Having tried them all, Spider-Pro is the undisputed King. I stand by every positive comment made about them. I also have the twin holster belt.

I can RUN while wearing it on with a 24-70 f/2.8 on one side and the 70-200 f/2.8 on the other, both on 1-series bodies with my hands free to carry a third body with a 300 f/2.8 on a monopod.

Come to think of it, I can't recall ever reading a negative comment about Spider-Pro.

Paul Wright

Can it take a 400 and 600 on series 1 as well?

D.Sim

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »

Paul Wright

The one thing I don't like about my spider is the click-clack sound it makes if you run... I have a hand on the body at all times to avoid that.

If you can carry it on a black rapid, you can carry it on a spider. It mounts the same way, and if anything, mounting those will only worry you about the torque on the mount.

Best part, the weight will be distributed across the hips, so you'll feel it less than when its mounted across the shoulders

briansquibb

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 02:10:30 AM »

Paul Wright

The one thing I don't like about my spider is the click-clack sound it makes if you run... I have a hand on the body at all times to avoid that.

If you can carry it on a black rapid, you can carry it on a spider. It mounts the same way, and if anything, mounting those will only worry you about the torque on the mount.

Best part, the weight will be distributed across the hips, so you'll feel it less than when its mounted across the shoulders

I cant quite visualise this - the weight has to be supported from going downwards. My BR supports this downward force off the shoulders (I have the dual strap). My cameras hang at about waist level and with the large whites attached they hang horizontally (mounted on the lens ring). When I walk they are static because there are no forces to make them swing.

Surely if they use the pistol mount on the hips the walking will make them swing with the hips. Doesn't sound too comfortable with a 1d4+400 f/2.8 on one side and a 1ds3 +600 f/4 on the other. Surely supporting the weight there will be tiring?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 06:14:06 AM »
Surely if they use the pistol mount on the hips the walking will make them swing with the hips...Surely supporting the weight there will be tiring?

Less so than the shoulders - there's a reason backpacks designed to carry heavier loads have a hip belt that transfers most of the weight from the shoulders to the hips...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

D.Sim

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 09:41:52 AM »

Paul Wright

I cant quite visualise this - the weight has to be supported from going downwards. My BR supports this downward force off the shoulders (I have the dual strap). My cameras hang at about waist level and with the large whites attached they hang horizontally (mounted on the lens ring). When I walk they are static because there are no forces to make them swing.

Surely if they use the pistol mount on the hips the walking will make them swing with the hips. Doesn't sound too comfortable with a 1d4+400 f/2.8 on one side and a 1ds3 +600 f/4 on the other. Surely supporting the weight there will be tiring?

Well, when you support off your shoulders, your backbone takes the hit. If you're carrying one, its a big harder as your weight will be towards one side, which will put quite a bit of stress on the backbone. You've got a dual strap so its not too obvious, but when you move the weight to your hips, your stress is taken up by the hips and the femur - easily the strongest bones in the body. I barely feel the weight of my camera + lens + flash, even with my colleagues 70-200 2.8 IS II mounted.

Its odd, I know, I thought the same about it before, and stuck to my Crumpler neck strap. All fine and dandy, but began to feel that I ought to get a BR strap. As luck would have it, I realised the guys I shoot for use Spiders. Don't ask me why I never noticed it before, but they did. I asked about it, and about the issues I had from watching the video's on youtube, with it bouncing all around and stuff, and they offered to let me try it.

No doubt you might say they are static as no forces make them swing, but personally the BR straps I tried swung way too much for my comfort. The Spiders don't swing as much, due to the way they hang - theres no allowance for swinging at all. Some bare click-clacking, but you can live with it.  They hang pretty much the way a BR camera would hang - lens horizontal and facing backwards, but the good thing is due to the spider plate, it doesnt twist. Spider plate makes a hell of a difference over the clip used in the BR, imo, and makes it a hell of a lot harder to snatch.

That said, back to the topic, if I hadn't tried the spider, I would easily have gone with the BR. Its still a brilliant system, just that I find the spider fits my needs a lot more. Also: looks cooler =P

MazV-L

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »

Paul Wright
I have the spider holster and BR strap and sometimes wear them together- spider on left hip, and BR on right, I'm really paranoid about checking the attachment screws after having a "StrapBuddy" fail on me, and one time the spider attachment screw (which is tightened w/ allenkey) partially worked loose which makes me wary of it and I'll no longer carry anything heavier than my 350D IR camera w/ 17-85 ef-s on it. BR is my absolute favourite, I use it all the time, and I can attach it to the tripod ring of the 70-200 2.8L is ii and it's nicely balanced whereas the spider doesn't lend itself to being attached to the tripod ring IMHO, another reason I don't use the spider with my larger Dslrs (5D and grip, and 50D gripless) and lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »

LostArk

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 11:40:19 PM »
If anyone is interested I'm selling my Luma Labs Cinch.

I've always used a regular camera strap, and I missed being able to make a ghetto hand strap or wrap the strap around my arm to provide added stability. It did, however, keep the camera and lens secure against my body while walking, unlike sling straps where the camera just flops around. I felt safe enough walking around without keeping a hand on the camera, something I wouldn't do with a sling strap or a regular strap. This strap is probably the best out there for street photographers who only carry one camera and lens.

Brand new condition, only used for 2 gigs. Asking $70 shipped. PM me to discuss further.

briansquibb

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 02:44:49 AM »

Well, when you support off your shoulders, your backbone takes the hit. If you're carrying one, its a big harder as your weight will be towards one side, which will put quite a bit of stress on the backbone. You've got a dual strap so its not too obvious, but when you move the weight to your hips, your stress is taken up by the hips and the femur - easily the strongest bones in the body. I barely feel the weight of my camera + lens + flash, even with my colleagues 70-200 2.8 IS II mounted.

Its odd, I know, I thought the same about it before, and stuck to my Crumpler neck strap. All fine and dandy, but began to feel that I ought to get a BR strap. As luck would have it, I realised the guys I shoot for use Spiders. Don't ask me why I never noticed it before, but they did. I asked about it, and about the issues I had from watching the video's on youtube, with it bouncing all around and stuff, and they offered to let me try it.

No doubt you might say they are static as no forces make them swing, but personally the BR straps I tried swung way too much for my comfort. The Spiders don't swing as much, due to the way they hang - theres no allowance for swinging at all. Some bare click-clacking, but you can live with it.  They hang pretty much the way a BR camera would hang - lens horizontal and facing backwards, but the good thing is due to the spider plate, it doesnt twist. Spider plate makes a hell of a difference over the clip used in the BR, imo, and makes it a hell of a lot harder to snatch.

That said, back to the topic, if I hadn't tried the spider, I would easily have gone with the BR. Its still a brilliant system, just that I find the spider fits my needs a lot more. Also: looks cooler =P

I adjusted the BR so the body was at hip level. With the 600 mounted I couldn't kneel down and my knee was getting a battering from the lens.  I normally have it mounted so it tucks up just above the waist so that I can lift it straight into the shooting position and when walking my arm supports body and lens

I think the weight is only compression on the back as the cog is straight down. I go for about 4 hours with the two without an issue.

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2012, 09:41:14 AM »
None at all. Love my Black Rapid.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

DanoPhoto

• Rebel T5i
  • There is beauty in simplicity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012, 08:58:04 PM »
Works for me.  Different strokes for different folks!
1D4 | 5D2 | 16-35L II | 24-70L | 50/1.4 | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 300/2.8L IS | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT24EX | lots of accessories & gadgets

EvilTed

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
Luma Labs Cinch - LOLOMFG, this thing is sweet :)

Pure genius the way you can pull a tab and hug the camera and lens into your kindney area, so it's really tight to the body and doesn't wobble and then pull the same tab the other direction and you have enough slack to pull it up and shoot BR style.

This strap is the Mercedes of straps I've tried so far, way WAY WAY higher quality materials than the BR RS-7 or the C-Loop guys split strap.

Buy the one for sale above, you will not be disappointed :)

Excellent product...

ET

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2012, 02:24:16 AM »

I fail to understand why someone would want to use and carry a combo of large whites with 1d series bodies around their neck or over their shoulder, it just sounds silly. Have people discovered the monopod? I'd love to see NFL shooters using 600mm lenses with camera straps. Please show me a video of this taking place so i can add it to my YouTube favorites.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:29:38 AM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

briansquibb

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 02:47:05 AM »

I fail to understand why someone would want to use and carry a combo of large whites with 1d series bodies around their neck or over their shoulder, it just sounds silly. Have people discovered the monopod? I'd love to see NFL shooters using 600mm lenses with camera straps. Please show me a video of this taking place so i can add it to my YouTube favorites.

I have never got on with monopods - so if I am not handholding then it is a tripod and a gimbal. Walking about with a large lens on a tripod is a LOT harder than suspending it from a BR.

Do sports shooter use 600's? I would have thought a 200/400 combo would be best?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 02:47:05 AM »