November 24, 2014, 03:37:31 PM

Author Topic: Sorry 5D3, Insufficient Value  (Read 15143 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry 5D3, Insufficient Value
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »
For the cost of the lens I have bought in the last 6 months I could have had 5 x 5DIII. The odd $500 between the D800 and  the 5DIII is trivial in the grand scheme of things

Oh! Please don't mention lenses, you tempt me! By the way what lens(es) did you buy?  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »

loomitz

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2012, 05:44:35 PM »
Come on guys, i have the 5D Mk III for two weeks, i try several setting to make the light leak issue affect me, but it dosent.

This is a really GREATE CAMERA, I love my 5D MK III at first i have a little of trouble with the AF but now that i understant how it work i love it :)

People without  5D MK III please first try for more than a day one, and people who already own one still taking grate photos :)

Sorry for my english

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
Come on guys, i have the 5D Mk III for two weeks, i try several setting to make the light leak issue affect me, but it dosent.

Let me help you: 
1. Remove the lens cap.
2. Take a torch.
3. Turn it on.
4. Put it in front of your camera and aim at it.
5. Take a metering with your camera.
6. Enjoy...

:)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2012, 05:56:11 PM »

Let me help you: 
1. Remove the lens cap.
2. Take a torch.
3. Turn it on.
4. Put it in front of your camera and aim at it.
5. Take a metering with your camera.
6. Enjoy...

:)

That is true... *sigh* my torch pictures will never bee the same again... ::)
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »

The plan that's evolved as a cheaper 5D3 solution for me is this:

1. Replace the T2i with a new 7D.

2. Upgrade (my interpretation) my walkaround lens from the 15-85mm to a 17-55mm.

3. Upgrade my 70-200 f/4.0L to a 70-200 f/4.0L IS.

4. Get a 10-22mm for the wide side.

Good luck with the 7D.
Sounds like a good plan to me.  My upgrade path for bodies stops at 7D, or whatever its micro-adjusting, magnesium-built, weather-sealed, fast-autofocusing, crop-sensored equivalent is in about 2 years.

I guess it all depends on what you want....and what your disposable income level is.

The 5D Mark III, is going to be my first DSLR.  I'm going to get the kit, and likely one prime and bang for the buck I think I'm going to get the Canon 85mm 1.8. It is reportedly a fast lens, and quite sharp.

I have from my old, old old Nikon FA film camera, a 50mm lens that I'm going to use on the new camera with an adapter...mostly for video.

I figure I'd like to jump in with both feet to photography....still and video, and bang for the buck, with longevity, this is the way to go.  I'm looking to likely get it from crutch field....that way, no taxes (saving about 10%), and they have the rewards thing, so that is about $280 extra I'll get back..likely that will go towards a battery grip. That and 12 mo no interest financing......so, to me, hard camera to pass up.

I've just been one of those to where when I want do to something that involves hardware, I'd rather save, and get the best I can at the limit I can afford.

Prior to getting the camera, I bought a macbook pro loaded....something to use to work on images. I'm going to get the camera, lens...and I think to start with, Apeture and FCPX will set me up for a few years to go. While I can buy the camera outright...why not take advantage of the 12mo no interest? I'll likely drop about $1700 right off, just to keep monthlies more friendly at a bit over $320 or so...and in a year, it'll be paid in full, and I'll start hunting a couple more high end, L level bits of glass. I plan to start with some wide angle stuff.

Anyway...depends on what you want to do...and what your financial obligations are.....not bad either way you want to go....but just because you can't afford it, or don't think it is worth it....I wish people would quit b*tchin'.....get what works for you.

Some would rather jump in and start as high as they can go...rather than go years building up here and there with lower level stuff....cameras, cars...women....etc.

:D

cayenne

briansquibb

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2012, 06:17:34 PM »
For the cost of the lens I have bought in the last 6 months I could have had 5 x 5DIII. The odd $500 between the D800 and  the 5DIII is trivial in the grand scheme of things

Oh! Please don't mention lenses, you tempt me! By the way what lens(es) did you buy?  :)

600 f/4, 200 f/2, 8-15, ts-e24

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »

600 f/4, 200 f/2, 8-15, ts-e24

May I assume that you bought the 600 and 200mm lenses to keep company to other similar lenses, so that they will not feel ... lonely?   ;D ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2012, 01:24:54 AM »
May I assume that you bought the 600 and 200mm lenses to keep company to other similar lenses, so that they will not feel ... lonely?   ;D ;D

The 400 f/2.8 didn't give enough reach on the 1Ds3 and the 200 f/2 I got for a walkabout/portrait lens on the 1Ds3.

I only want the 14mm and the ts-e17 now, but there is no rush for those.

I am really pleased with the 200 f/2 - took a bunch of goat portraits with it yesterday (which is why you need a 200) and the background blur is fabulous. I was also surprised how (relatively) light it is as well. Got some dog portraits to do tonight I will give it a try with that too.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:06:34 AM by briansquibb »

mhvogel.de

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2012, 02:04:39 AM »
can't tell about the MII-version yet, but:
baught a MII in 2010 for 1900 EUR, sold it last week for 1300 EUR with 100000 klicks, makes 25 EUR/per month or less then 0,01 EUR/per click. Sounds like quiet good value to me, overall. don't understand the complaints.

The 7D is something different,  from img-quality (critical for me) not an alternative.

hoghavemercy

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2012, 05:11:10 AM »
I have been a Canon shooter for about 15 years.  Canon film, Rebel, now with the 40D since 2008. The upgrades coming from Canon have been incremental and minor. Nikon a few years ago went big time with upgraded bodies. I still don't see the value in upgrading from 40D to 7D. Sure the body is nicer, but not worth it. The 5D MKIII is a failure. The ones who bit and paid that much money for it have to justify and auto convince themselves that it is worth it. Not in my books. I will be selling my lenses, don't have any L glass, but a number of mid-of-the-road ones and primes. Will be getting rid of Canon because even their flagship 5D MKIII is a half-asses upgrade over the 5D MKIII at a very high price. Why can't they do things right and get us some nice bodies like Nikon does? We don't have another 100 years to wait around! I don't carry about brands, but quality and price!

Nikon Troll Soldier :-[ , you've been living off the nuclear power plant nearby, make sure Sarah and Jesse get a deep down clean, hear!!!

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2012, 07:42:19 AM »

The 400 f/2.8 didn't give enough reach on the 1Ds3 and the 200 f/2 I got for a walkabout/portrait lens on the 1Ds3.

I only want the 14mm and the ts-e17 now, but there is no rush for those.

I am really pleased with the 200 f/2 - took a bunch of goat portraits with it yesterday (which is why you need a 200) and the background blur is fabulous. I was also surprised how (relatively) light it is as well. Got some dog portraits to do tonight I will give it a try with that too.

Well if I could I would get either a 400mm f/4 DO or a 500mm f/4L. But the prices are so high (the 500mm f/4L II will be even more expensive) so I got a 100-400L as a compromise.

Next is probably the TS-E 17 (or the hartblei colar for TS-E lenses to use it on my TS-E 24mm II)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2012, 07:42:19 AM »