August 29, 2014, 06:30:28 PM

Author Topic: I've switched to the Dark Side (no, Literally).  (Read 6733 times)

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
I've switched to the Dark Side (no, Literally).
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »
By the Dark side, I mean the dark room (see what I did there *badumtssss*)

I've recently purchased a Canon AE-1 film camera from eBay for $25.00. It was in great condition, I mean it looked like it was brand new. The only thing that was missing was a camera battery door. I replaced it just as soon as I go it.

I've got to say, I've never shot film before. But, WOW it's a fun hobby. For some reason having film makes me think about my shots more. And the fact that the camera came with a Canon FL 24mm f/3.5, It made me use my feet a lot to get my subject right where I wanted it to be.

And developing the film is a fun job. I don't understand why people moan and grippe about having to spend 20min just to develop one roll of film. I thought it was extremely fun and interesting at the same time.

Now, I understand that a lot of you here shoot digital. And that Film is basically dead. But, I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could suggest any good lenses for a film body. FD or FL. Also, I'd like to hear some suggestions on film. I've heard that the Kodak T-Max 400 (the one i've been using) is a really good film.
Canon 5D - Fine Art/Workhorse
Canon T1i - Modded for Video!
Canon 1DmkII - Sports/Wildlife

canon rumors FORUM

I've switched to the Dark Side (no, Literally).
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: I've switched to the Dark Side (no, Literally).
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »
I've been there.  Chemicals can cause allergies, processing B&W film is easy, but you could not process Kodachrome and Ektachrome came out poorly.  I think I processed some negative colpr film, but temperatures with color film were critical and I did not have any thermostatically controlled baths, but used a large tub with water hot enough to achieve the right temperature and placed my developing trays in that.  ... I don't even like to think about that.  I still have a couple of film developing canisters, but gave away my three enlargers to a local high school last year.  I was glad to hear they could use them.

Its making prints that is the tedious work, so if a person plans to just scan the film, its much easier, becase they are basically just converting it to digital, and they are then into digital photography and editing.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:12:49 PM »
Does you hand smell like Fixer? If it does, Your a true photographer.  ;D

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:44:27 PM »
Congrats. I recently bought a Mamiya 645. My chemicals came in the mail yesterday, I was going to try to develop some stuff this weekend.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »
By the Dark side, I mean the dark room (see what I did there *badumtssss*)

I've recently purchased a Canon AE-1 film camera from eBay for $25.00. It was in great condition, I mean it looked like it was brand new. The only thing that was missing was a camera battery door. I replaced it just as soon as I go it.

I've got to say, I've never shot film before. But, WOW it's a fun hobby. For some reason having film makes me think about my shots more. And the fact that the camera came with a Canon FL 24mm f/3.5, It made me use my feet a lot to get my subject right where I wanted it to be.

And developing the film is a fun job. I don't understand why people moan and grippe about having to spend 20min just to develop one roll of film. I thought it was extremely fun and interesting at the same time.

Now, I understand that a lot of you here shoot digital. And that Film is basically dead. But, I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could suggest any good lenses for a film body. FD or FL. Also, I'd like to hear some suggestions on film. I've heard that the Kodak T-Max 400 (the one i've been using) is a really good film.

You sent me back 16-17 years! It was interesting! Still I would suggest a few things for compatibility reasons:

1. Pick a C41 process film like Ilford XP2. (Also Kodak has one). I know you will miss half of the fun and you will have to find a lab to get the negatives processed.

However, you will be satisfied when in the future you will scan the negatives and be able to use ICE to remove scratches, marks, dust etc. ICE cannot be used on a typical b&w film.

80% of my b&w negatives are NOT of this type and you cannot imagine how many small marks they have! It is practically impossible to remove them all in PP.

2. Get an analog EOS like EOS1n or any other analog body you prefer. Then you will be able to build a system and merely add a digital SLR when you feel to.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:09:12 PM »
I'm afraid I'm with Mt. Spokane. Been there. Done that. Not interested in going back.

However, for the OP, if you are looking for good lenses for your film camera I highly recommend a 200mm 2.8 FD. It was a great lens. I think I'd also look at a faster 24mm. Those old lenses really took a beating. I had several that got so banged up I couldn't get the filters off of them, but they still worked great. (Or at least they seemed like they worked great, but when you're shooting Tri-X and developing it in Dektol, the lens quality doesn't really have a lot of impact on the image.)
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »

Check some of the flickr film groups, you'll quickly realize film is anything BUT dead. The group "I Shoot Film" has over 70,000 members and almost 2 MILLION photos!

Lots of great tutorials, links and people to learn from.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/

7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »

BillyBean

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »
Congrats on joining the small fraternity of 'develop your own'!

I don't agree personally with folks who say they did it years ago, and don't want to go back - I did it twenty years ago, and came back to it a few years back after a long absence. The thing that makes it different nowadays  is that there is no need to print, if you don't want to - just shove the negs into the film scanner and process digitally with lightroom or whatever - so no need for a darkroom - just get a changing bag, and you can shove the film into the tank without a darkroom.

One small tip: I had a lot of trouble initially with specs on negatives, which I didn't tend to notice in former times, but are more obvious in these demanding digital times. After a lot of research, and trying all sorts of rinsing chemicals, I found that they were caused by ions in the water settling out in the soap rinse aids. The solution is a final 1-2 minute rinse in distilled water - no chemicals. Works a treat!

Enjoy yourself...

gary

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 01:45:07 PM »
I once owned an AE 1 and developed my own and when I put on those rose tinted glasses everything seemed great, then I wake up and realise that life now is soooo much better
5D Mkiii -  16-35L mkii, 24-70L mkii, 70-200L IS mkii, 85 1.8

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 03:20:04 PM »
One of these days. I need to break out my crown graphic...
What is truth?

sawsedge

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 03:28:14 PM »
I love the smell of fixer in the morning.  :D

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »
Speaking of smells, once I made a batch of D76 and didn't realize the container I used was not thoroughly clean from the cleaning liquid that previously occupied it. It didn't affect the negatives in any way except for giving them a very nice and faint smell of lemons that somehow remained even after the fixer and all the washing. :)

trid1977

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »
Good for you!
I started with a Canon AE-1 Program in 1982, then traded it for a Canon T-90 which I still use. I started with non-Canon lenses because they were less money. But I discovered after they were used for about 10 years, the zooms would not hold their position. So about 10 years ago I found Canon replacements which still work as though they are new. Among my lenses I have a FD 100-300mm f/5.6, FD 28-85mm f/4.0, & Extender FD 2X-A.
Have fun.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »

Leadfingers

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 05:16:39 PM »
You bought an AE-1?  I have an AE-2 in in a bag within arm's reach that absolutely can NOT find a buyer for.  I'd love to ship it to someone for $25.

><
~ I look around me.  I describe what I see.
~~ Daria

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 05:42:48 PM »

Check some of the flickr film groups, you'll quickly realize film is anything BUT dead. The group "I Shoot Film" has over 70,000 members and almost 2 MILLION photos!

Lots of great tutorials, links and people to learn from.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/

How do you post film to flikr?? 

(It's a facetious rhetorical question.  I get that you scan it, the point is that to get it to flikr you're in the digital domain, so why not just start there.)  Don't get me wrong, I understand and can appreciate the feeling of hands on (like using hand tools instead of power tools for woodworking), it just seems a bit silly to me to use a digital domain to display and espouse the results of an analog process.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 05:42:48 PM »