August 22, 2014, 01:41:40 PM

Author Topic: What to buy...?  (Read 1958 times)

Leadfingers

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
What to buy...?
« on: April 28, 2012, 09:07:47 PM »
I've finally got the cash (and permission!) to get a proper camera.  I do some event work, as well as some portrait and landscape shots.  I shoot a lot of video. 

For a while it seemed like the T4i might be the camera worth waiting for (for it's rumored video features), but it's nowhere to be seen, SO

I'm looking at a a T1/T2/T3i and the 60D.

When I line all 4 of those cameras up, they are all basically identical.  They all have DiGiC 4 all (but the T1) have the vari-angle viewfinder, all (but the T1) have the same 18 MP sensor...Is there really any difference among them?

At the moment, I'm almost leaning toward getting a T1 or T2 as a stop-gap until Canon decides what it wants to do this year.  The Canon Loyalty Program makes some of the pricing on the low end cameras pretty compelling.

So please school me... what's the difference?

:O
~ I look around me.  I describe what I see.
~~ Daria

canon rumors FORUM

What to buy...?
« on: April 28, 2012, 09:07:47 PM »

Leadfingers

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: What to buy...?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 09:37:04 PM »
Right.

That's exactly what I just said.

What I'm looking for is some explanation that justifies the ~$600 price difference from low to high, from an image quality point of view.  (The 60D has better build quality, but does it take better pictures?)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:45:39 PM by Leadfingers »
~~ Daria

Lordocasl

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »
Each new Rebel has very slight differences, described in the side by side comparison. However, the difference between the Rebel line and the 60D can be significant depending on what type of photography you are into.
Especially if you are into action, like kids and sports.

"Body construction - yes, the material is the same, but the Canon 60D is environmentally sealed while the Rebel is not.

Shutter speed - the T3i's fastest shutter is 1/4000 which is only half the speed of the 60D [1/8000], plus it has a sync shutter speed for flash of 1/200 sec compared to 1/250 sec. These two shutter speed differences can be significant depending upon the lighting of a particular shot.

Continuous Shooting Rate - again the Rebel does not match up here at only 3.7 fps with a buffer of up to 34 JPEG images vs 5.3 fps with a buffer of 58 JPEGs. This is quite significant if you are shooting action shots.

Focus - Both models have a 9-point auto focus system, however the system is not the same. In the 60D all 9 points are cross-type auto focus points. Not so with the T2i in which only the center point is a cross-type focus point. This can make a big difference in the way each camera handles auto-focus.

Video - there is one thing that the Canon Rebel T3i has which the other camera does not. It is a digital zoom feature that allows 5x or 10x zooming while making movies. This means a 50mm lens can act like a 500mm lens without degrading the quality.

There are some other differences between these two digital SLR cameras, including , viewfinder magnification, and battery life.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6396354

Leadfingers

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 01:03:15 AM »
ok, I understand most of that, and a lot of those differences are *really* marginal.  (like the max shutter speed, or the max image buffer on continuous shooting).

If I were in a studio, using any given lens, and took a shot with a T1, a T2, a T3 and a 60D, it sounds like you wouldn't be able to tell the difference at all.  With all that said and done, I feel like I'm leaning more and more toward a T2 or 3.

One thing confuses me though.  What difference does is make if the sync speed for flash is 1/200 vs 1/250?
~~ Daria

ThuiQuaDayNe

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 03:21:23 AM »
7D also have the same sensor so the IQ is also the same.  You might need to move to 7D for action/sports because of AF, weather seals, AF micro adjust and 8fps.  If you subjects move a little then maybe a 60D is enough since the AF and fps is better  T2i and T3i but not as good as 7d.   T2i, t3i, 60D and 7D has virtual identical low light performance.  T2i has the smallest body, then t3i.  60D is a noticeable jump in body size from T3i and 7D  a little bigger/better than 60D.  60D and T3i has swivel screens.

Go to Best Buy and try it out.  They should have all 4 on display for demo.  they even have the 5DM3 on display as well, behind glass though.

I hear rumors that T2i might have a very slight edge in IQ of the 4.  Don't flame it... just rumors.

My personal OPINION for what you do (non sports) get the 60D and save for FF.  If sports, then 7D unless you can get additional permission/budget to go FF (5DM3, 1Ds)

Lordocasl

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 04:08:54 AM »
Hope this helps.

Shutter/Flash Synchronization Small | Large

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 04:08:54 AM »

Leadfingers

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »

My personal OPINION for what you do (non sports) get the 60D and save for FF.  If sports, then 7D unless you can get additional permission/budget to go FF (5DM3, 1Ds)

But why?  You just got done saying that all the cameras IQ is about the same, so why should I spend the extra money on the 60D?  I won't be shooting any sports, and the most demanding thing I'll be doing is shooting some live theater once every two months, and some sunset landscapes...
~~ Daria

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »
First, don't even think about IQ differences... There are none (once you get to the T2... Don't waste time with a T1).

The reason everyone is talking about the features is because that's what differentiates these bodies.  You dismiss shutter speed, but for many people that is a HUGE dealbreaker of a feature.  Each person will find that they want certain features / feel an decide what body is best for them.

From what you've told us it sounds like a T2i would make you perfectly happy.  Since you did say that you do some video there are a few video upgrades in the T3i... but it probably wont bother you much to go without them.

Don't pay more money for more IQ in this space... pay for features.

I used to think just like you until I got my 7D and realised how wonderful of a tool it is to work with. It "gets out of my way" so I can achive the shots I'm looking for more easily.  But, I am a fairly hardcore amatuer, my friend who is just taking snaps of his daughter loves his T2i.  Different bodies for different usage patterns...

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »
Don't forget ergonomics, personally I would struggle with those smaller bodies e.g. Rebel, xxxD

CanonCameraFan

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »
The environmental sealing is a big plus with the 60D - it depends on where and when you are going to be shooting. As a Magic Lantern user I would recommend the 550D (T2i) with ML installed. The selectable focus patterns enabled by ML and focus peaking feature in live view are invaluable and whilst they do not replace cross type sensors go along way towards making the 550D a viable alternative to a more expensive camera - at least in the short term whilst you are saving for the all singing, all dancing model. Just about all the ML features work with the 550D which is another consideration. Best of all is that it leaves more money in your wallet towards the FF camera or some good glass.

STEMI_RN

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 02:20:05 PM »
Save your money on the body.  Put the extra cash toward better glass.  That's what I did when I decided against a 7d for a 60D and I'm glad I did.
60d, Digital Rebel XT, Mamiya 645, etch-a-sketch.

Leadfingers

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 03:55:11 PM »
Based on all of this, I'm definitely leaning toward a T3i.  With the Canon Loyalty Program, I can get a T3i body for ~$480 or so.  Our original budget was going to be around $1000, so that leaves me $500-$600 for a decent lens (maybe something in the 24-70 range...not sure)

Thanks, everyone
~~ Daria

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 03:55:11 PM »