April 16, 2014, 12:59:18 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III doesn't live up to expectations in real world shooting...  (Read 30783 times)

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
Re: 5D Mark III doesn't live up to expectations in real world shooting...
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 10:27:06 AM »
Lens microadjustments only need to be performed in rare cases.

Like when the lens doesn't nail focus?

Also, at f/13 you are beyond the diffraction limit of the sensor.  You will get better results at f/11 but still may soften fine details, f/8 will probably be the sweet spot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 10:27:06 AM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »
I can't get the AF to miss even if I try, I have no idea how this is an issue for you.  Possibly the lens?
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

DarkKnightNine

• Rebel T5i
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »
If there is one thing this camera is good at it's his AMAZING AUTOFOCUS.

Your post is the first post about AF is not good in real life.
And yes I have the 5D mark III and all pictures are tack sharp.

Just my 2 cents !!

Not that I doubt your word, but what conditions are you shooting in to get your "Tack sharpness"? Are you shooting fast moving subjects in a dark environment? If so could you please post examples with the shooting data. I would love to be proven wrong because I do want to love this camera as I spend so much money on it and time adjusting it.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »
Not that I doubt your word, but what conditions are you shooting in to get your "Tack sharpness"? Are you shooting fast moving subjects in a dark environment? If so could you please post examples with the shooting data. I would love to be proven wrong because I do want to love this camera as I spend so much money on it and time adjusting it.

There are thousands of people talking about how much they love the 5DIII's AF and you're worried about a single person proving to you that they are getting sharp images?  Don't you think if they weren't getting sharp images that they would be quick to join you in condemning this camera?  I don't think you should be accosting people on here because honestly the few pictures you posted look like absolute crap especially considering the gear you have. I can feel the arrogance radiating from your self portrait, I'm sure with an ego like that nothing is ever your fault huh?

I'm just saying there are plenty of people out there that have the exact same stuff that you do that are completely happy with the results they are getting, so what does that leave?  Something tells me you have more money than talent. 

Maybe it's the fact that you're moving from a $5000 camera to a  $3500 one, whereas most of us moved from the Mark II.  I don't see why you would expect a cheaper camera to be an upgrade. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:43:19 AM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »
Another setting to check, since you mentioned AI servo earlier is the "AI Servo 1st (and 2nd) Image Priority". It regulates wether to prioritize focus or burst speed (or responsiveness in the case of the first image of the burst).

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 10:40:23 AM »
Wrong !
The 61-point AF sensor of the 5D mark iii has twice the low light sensitivity as the 1D Mark IV’s 45-point AF sensor (EV -2 vs. EV -1).

My bad. I got the metering and AF ratings mixed up.

DarkKnightNine

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »
Lens microadjustments only need to be performed in rare cases.

Like when the lens doesn't nail focus?

Also, at f/13 you are beyond the diffraction limit of the sensor.  You will get better results at f/11 but still may soften fine details, f/8 will probably be the sweet spot.

You missed the point. I shot at f/13 for the portrait of myself above. Because of the deep DOF, the shot was very much "in focus". Shooting your self with a timer requires that you you have deep DOF.

What I was saying is that when I have shallow DOF that I was finding the 5D Mark III to not nail focus and images were coming out a little on the soft side (usually for events or concerts with limited lighting conditions I'm at about 2.8 to 4.0). Another separate example image also above.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »
A few thoughts...  CR did a review on testing lenses a year or so back... it concluded that one lens could have different levels of AFMA needed on multiple bodies...  It also said each camera could be fractions of percentages off and still be "within specs" and lenses the same way... so what may be perfect with one lens/camera combo may or may not be perfect on an other camera or identical lens.  AF AFMA is definitely worth your time to check out... it may be right on, it may not, but it's something to do before jumping to conclusions.  Also, as far as soft focus, if you can use live view, MF the image to tack sharp images, then it simply means the camera is capable of a sharp image, however the AF is slightly off, so fine tuning it may be needed and in worst case situations, sending the lens/camera to canon so they can calibrate it and make it perfect for you.  Lastly the level you have our AF tracking set up for erratic focusing may or may not have a factor... if the AF is constantly looking for new points to focus on, it it's constantly looking for changes, for "erratic" movements, it may be jumping on and off focus before you are capturing the image in the first place.  Those menu's are relatively new so perhaps some experimentation with those may be needed to find the exact best setting for the environments you are shooting in.

I know there are reports in very very low lighting it may struggle because there is no focus assist light or any additional chip to power the drive, but i've also read reports the camera is razor sharp when configured properly.  Even some canon ambassadors have said technically speaking, the metering and AF system is more sophisticated on the 5d3 compared to the 1d4 and the 5d3 SHOULD have better tracking and AF accuracy than the 1d4.  In practice it may not be as clear cut but i'd recommend calibrating everything and testing everything in a controlled environment first before you throw it in the deep end at a concert when you're still learning the AF system. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 10:44:30 AM »
Oh and one more thing to keep in mind while comparing it the 1D is that on 1 bodies the AF could still be faster in some case since it can drive the focus motors faster due to higher voltage.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
What I was saying is that when I have shallow DOF that I was finding the 5D Mark III to not nail focus and images were coming out a little on the soft side (usually for events or concerts with limited lighting conditions I'm at about 2.8 to 4.0). Another separate example image also above.

What you are describing is a text book example of needing to perform AMFA.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 10:48:39 AM »
Lens microadjustments only need to be performed in rare cases. Usually the camera and lens fit within a tolerance of each other and those microadjustments aren't necessary.

Every one of my 15 Canon lenses had to have at least some AFMA with my 5D MK III. Some of the images were soft until I did the adjustment.

If you want the sharpest possible image, its a must.  Every body needs a different adjustment, and some lenses will be perfect with one body, and off with another.

I use FoCal, its the most accurate method I've found so far.

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 10:51:02 AM »
if anyone is getting soft images at this point then we know its human error...
5D MKIII

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »
Just out of curiosity, do you actually own a Mark III because your analogy is nonsense. Lens microadjustments only need to be performed in rare cases. Usually the camera and lens fit within a tolerance of each other and those microadjustments aren't necessary.

No, I don't have a 5DIII - I'm waiting for the 1D X which I preordered the first day B&H had that option. 

I disagree with your statement that AFMA is only needed in rare cases...I do have a 5DII and a 7D, both of which have the AFMA feature.  I can tell you that of the 20 possible combinations of my 10 autofocus lenses with two bodies, 19 of those 20 require AFMA.  In some cases, only a unit or two, which may not be enough to matter for 'real world' shooting, but in most cases more that that is required.  19/20 ≠ rare, IMO.

What you are describing is a text book example of needing to perform AMFA.

+1.  My point, exactly.

But then, it seems to be more fun to bash something without trying to understand the root of the problem, much less try to fix it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:57:41 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »

steven63

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »
Just out of curiosity, do you actually own a Mark III because your analogy is nonsense. Lens microadjustments only need to be performed in rare cases. Usually the camera and lens fit within a tolerance of each other and those microadjustments aren't necessary.

No, I don't have a 5DIII - I'm waiting for the 1D X which I preordered the first day B&H had that option. 

I disagree with your statement that AFMA is only needed in rare cases...I do have a 5DII and a 7D, both of which have the AFMA feature.  I can tell you that of the 20 possible combinations of my 10 autofocus lenses with two bodies, 19 of those 20 require AFMA.  In some cases, only a unit or two, which may not be enough to matter for 'real world' shooting, but in most cases more that that is required.  19/20 ≠ rare, IMO.

AFMA is there for a very good reason.  These are professional level tools (camera and lenses) and I don't know of any professional level tools that will not allow you to 'tweak' a vital function -ESPECIALLY when that vital function affects the final output to such an extent as focus on a camera system.  In my opinion, if you aren't exercising these 'professional level' options a complaint directed at a finished product for which the camera designers allow you to make adjustments to is lacking credibility.

Please perform AFMA and report back with your results before seriously reviewing the 5dMiii.  And no, I don't own one, but I do understand AFMA and why it is there.

DarkKnightNine

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 11:07:11 AM »

There are thousands of people talking about how much they love the 5DIII's AF and you're worried about a single person proving to you that they are getting sharp images?  Don't you think if they weren't getting sharp images that they would be quick to join you in condemning this camera?  I don't think you should be accosting people on here because honestly the few pictures you posted look like absolute crap especially considering the gear you have. I can feel the arrogance radiating from your self portrait, I'm sure with an ego like that nothing is ever your fault huh?

I'm just saying there are plenty of people out there that have the exact same stuff that you do that are completely happy with the results they are getting, so what does that leave?  Something tells me you have more money than talent. 

Maybe it's the fact that you're moving from a $5000 camera to a  $3500 one, whereas most of us moved from the Mark II.  I don't see why you would expect a cheaper camera to be an upgrade.

Yes that was truly helpful. Something tells me you reak of self righteousness.
Why would I expect a cheaper camera to be an upgrade? Well let's see if I can break this down for you Sesame Street:
Crop sensor to Full Frame
New Sensor tech with larger pixels
Supposedly better AF
Supposedly better Metering
Digic 5 Processor

If you knew even a fraction about technology, you would know things get better and cheaper as tech matures.

"Matures" that's a good word. How about you exercise some maturity and leave your personal attacks of what think of me and/or my pictures to yourself. Enough people find my work just fine enough to pay for it so frankly you thinking my pictures are crap really doesn't concern me. I was just asking if the person could show some of his examples of tack sharp, low light images shot with this camera. I neither attacked him nor doubted him. And I really don't see what your problem is.

Yes there are many great images being taken with this camera, I'm speaking of one specific condition where in low light, the camera is NOT tack sharp and I would like to see images to prove the contrary. All the wonderful pictures you speak of seem to be in fair to great lighting conditions.

If you're not here to help, how about you just scoot along little fella.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 11:07:11 AM »