October 01, 2014, 06:44:49 AM

Author Topic: 5D MK3 vs. D800 - fredmiranda  (Read 26437 times)

PhilDrinkwater

Re: 5D MK3 vs. D800 - fredmiranda
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2012, 04:33:46 AM »
I guess as a very old photographer I am used to getting the light right in the camera so lab work is at the very minimum - like Cartier Bresson.

High Dynamic Range is something that never worries me in terms of pushing it. It must be the way that I spray light around so the dark spots get a tickle of flash to help it along

This is often presented as a panacea of photography, but in fact it's not, even when taking the example of people and not a massive cliff for a landscape photographer or a bird or something, which are much more difficult to light.

Once I started looking at the intricacies of lighting and how it affects the face, skin, eyes and so on, I realised that some things can only be done with natural light. For example, I know a wedding photographer who uses fill flash extensively. He sent me a photo that he loved and the first thing that I noticed was the incredible forward facing shine on the makeup which wouldn't have been there without the flash. I also noticed the pin light in the otherwise dark eyes. Neither looked attractive to my eyes.

If you want to really get it "right" a large (very large) light source is needed and you need to block out the available light as much as possible and relight from scratch. If you're doing fill light, you need to be exact about the colour temperature of the light source or you can just tell the extra light is there. Or at least I can.

This was shot with a large light source to camera left, balanced for the ambient. Since the flash was the key light, I could get away with some of the things that I note above:

P.S this wasn't the final version of this file - it was done before LR4 and I overbrushed one or two areas. It's just the only one I have available to link.

In the cases where you don't have the option to setup a massive lighting rig, pushing the shadows might give a more pleasing (to my eye) shot than using some fill flash. That's why I say adding fill light is not the panacea it's presented as in my eyes...

Of course, this is entirely a personal opinion :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:18:27 AM by PhilDrinkwater »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2012, 04:33:46 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2012, 12:54:49 PM »

In the cases where you don't have the option to setup a massive lighting rig, pushing the shadows might give a more pleasing (to my eye) shot than using some fill flash. That's why I say adding fill light is not the panacea it's presented as in my eyes...

Of course, this is entirely a personal opinion :)

The hardest thing is to use a very small amount of flash. I have 6 x 580 flash so a lot of power is there - but often I am usually infilling with 1/64 power with several flash just give a subtle lift.

I use a 430EXII for the onboard flash for the catchlights

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2012, 04:14:56 PM »
....but I digress, since the subject at hand is landscape photography, and none of this matters :)

:)

Well, philosophically speaking, the sun is the most badass flashgun there is...or rather hot light. And while we might not be able to tame him, at least we know where he'll be each day.

I take it you don't live in Seattle ;D?

I like the sun as a light source, but only for 2-3 hours a day :)

sarangiman

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »
V8Beast-- you live in Seattle? We should grab a coffee some time :)

Perhaps you'll appreciate this shot from Rizal Bridge I took back in 2010. I went to this stop some 30 times before I finally got an epic sunset. The colors lasted for like 30 minutes... it was insane. Used a 3-stop Daryl Benson Reverse GND filter, & still merged 4 exposures by hand in Photoshop, & still have noise in the trees when I print this. When I denoise the shadows, they just turn muddy. So in the end I chose to just stick with the noise. There's even a little banding in those shadows (this was shot on a 5D). This might be why I'm so interested in higher DR given that, like I said, this was already 4 exposures merged, each taken with that 3-stop Reverse GND...

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »

Perhaps you'll appreciate this shot from Rizal Bridge I took back in 2010. I went to this stop some 30 times before I finally got an epic sunset. The colors lasted for like 30 minutes... it was insane. Used a 3-stop Daryl Benson Reverse GND filter, & still merged 4 exposures by hand in Photoshop, & still have noise in the trees when I print this. When I denoise the shadows, they just turn muddy. So in the end I chose to just stick with the noise. There's even a little banding in those shadows (this was shot on a 5D). This might be why I'm so interested in higher DR given that, like I said, this was already 4 exposures merged, each taken with that 3-stop Reverse GND...

Nice pic man!  :)
5D MkIII + 35L, 85L, 135L, 70-300L, 24-70L II

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »

Nah, I was just being a smart@ss since the other poster mentioned that the sun is the ultimate flash gun :) Here in Texas, we get too much sun and it's already in the mid-90s! I need weather sealing to protect my cameras from my sweat, and unfortunately, that's not an exaggeration. I lived in Vancouver, WA briefly as a kid, but don't remember anything about it. The Pacific Northwest does look beautiful, though.

I don't need to live in Seattle to appreciate that shot. It's a great image, and it's definitely shot in a situation that could definitely benefit from more DR. Nice work! Even if you printed this one pretty big, I don't think the noise in the trees would be offensive.

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »
Here in Texas, we get too much sun and it's already in the mid-90s! I need weather sealing to protect my cameras from my sweat, and unfortunately, that's not an exaggeration.

LOL, as a fellow Texan I can relate...and I even have more concern about the corrosive effect of all the salt in the sweat.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »
all tool for the job...  all take great images....  i'd not stress about micro differences...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »