April 23, 2014, 04:47:12 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III AI Servo AF Point Annoyance Firmware Fix Coming  (Read 14879 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors

AI servo
A lot of people, myself included are quite annoyed at the black AF points when using AI servo mode on the 5D Mark III. It’s nearly impossible to see in some situations, especially in low light. I think most people would like the ability to turn on the red AF point you see when you lock focus in one shot mode. I’m not sure if this was by design, or if it’s actually something that was overlooked in testing.

You can see the discussions at [FM] and [POTN]

I will say that the AF works terrific in AI servo mode, it’s just tough to see the AF point at times.

Firmware fix?
I am told by a couple of people that the above issue is known by Canon and they will fix it with a firmware update in the future. The fix may take some time though.

Here’s hoping they also add the ability to change the image review zoom button mapping back to the top right.

You can let Canon know you’d like it fixed here.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:43:48 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

smithy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III AI Servo AF Point Annoyance
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:05:57 AM »
What colour are the AF points on the 1D series bodies?  Is the the 5D III the only Canon SLR with black AF points?
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »
It won't be fixed, or ever will be fixed because of the design.

When the 5D3 AF points light up briefly the whol viewfinder lights up so anything you focus on will have a red tinge to it in the viewfinder.

TBH, it's the one thing I really miss coming from the 1Ds3, that and the abiliity to focus fast in low light. The 1Ds3 still has that too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:51:19 AM by wockawocka »
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »
Have just done my first job with a 5D3 and for the most part I'm happy with the overall performance.

But this is a staggering error on Canon's part, crippling workflow in a fast moving dynamic shooting situation. They have set up this camera with a brilliant AF system, yet you frequently lose sight of the selected focus point because it's BLACK!

If this is firmware fixable then Canon would win friends by getting the update out to us ASAP. This issue is reason enough to not cancel my 1DX pre-order as I expected to do and be prepared to take the $$ hit selling the 5D3 when the 1DX eventually ships.

Paul Wright

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »
Is the behavior different than transmissive LCD on the 7D?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 09:40:09 AM »
Have just done my first job with a 5D3 and for the most part I'm happy with the overall performance.

But this is a staggering error on Canon's part, crippling workflow in a fast moving dynamic shooting situation. They have set up this camera with a brilliant AF system, yet you frequently lose sight of the selected focus point because it's BLACK!

If this is firmware fixable then Canon would win friends by getting the update out to us ASAP. This issue is reason enough to not cancel my 1DX pre-order as I expected to do and be prepared to take the $$ hit selling the 5D3 when the 1DX eventually ships.

Paul Wright

Paul, when i tested the 1D X the autofocus was the same. Black autofocus points.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »
This is my biggest beef with this camera. On my 1dmk2 i get to have a red focus spot lit up all the time, so it's super easy to find it in any lighting. Of course it's not all roses, as moving that point around is harder than with the 5dmk3, and the 5dmk3 focuses much better in low light. Then again, i have my 1dmk2 set up with one button that activates an off center AF point, and another button for the center AF point. I've used it like that orientation feature that the 7d started all along.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
The black AF point is a big PITA

Almost makes me want to go back to the 1Ds3....almost.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

jalbfb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
I agree with the black AF point not lighting up red.  CR provided us with a way of letting Canon know what our frustrations/concerns/recommendations are so I recommend we all flood them with these requests and put pressure on them to respond and if possible correct it in a firmware update.
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I found that it was annoying in low light to be unable to see the selected AF point.  I could press the Point selection button and light them all up for three seconds or so, so its just a software change to allow lighting the points.

I hope the option is offered.

BDD

All these issues (e.g. light leak in addition to the AI Servo issue....and those mentioned in the YouTube clip interview with Chuck Westfall). Makes me glad i didn't run out and buy a 5D3 early. Not that I was planning to.

The good news is Canon recognizes these issues and has been coming out with fixes quickly.

But regarding sharpness and having to do this in post processing...to get better sharpness...I would have preferred to have more in-camera sharpness. So we could spend less time in post. Not that the photos I've already seen from the 5D3 (and 5D2) aren't "sharp enough".

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
But regarding sharpness and having to do this in post processing...to get better sharpness...I would have preferred to have more in-camera sharpness. So we could spend less time in post. Not that the photos I've already seen from the 5D3 (and 5D2) aren't "sharp enough".
Sounded to me like he was referring to video sharpness in that clip.

Pompo

Re: Let Canon know you want the Firmware Fix (link)!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 02:32:28 PM »
Chuck mentioned that we would like more red(?) we (I) woul dlike the black af point more visible and being able to turn on the af point I'm using in red....Please send your request for the firmaware fix here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii/form_display/support_by_email?WT.mc_id=C126149

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Let Canon know you want the Firmware Fix (link)!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 02:32:28 PM »

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I can't find the form to tell Canon what I want changed on the european site, can someone please tell them this? :

1.  Faster wakeup.
2.  The abillity to add "choose AF scenario" as an item on My Menu.
3.  Of course the AF illumination issue.
4.  Support for UHS SD cards.
5.  Choose which drive modes available on selection.
6.  The abillity to use the multi controller to choose submenues and the small top wheel to scroll top menues (without     
     going through every single submenu.
7.  Exposure compensation in M mode (in auto iso mode)
8.  Set the HDR/Picture Style/Multi exposure button to bracketing mode.
9.  One card video one card stillpicture auto switch. (activated by which LV mode)

What I could think of for now. Add this to your list when sending in yur own suggestions please. Copy/paste is all it takes!

Thanks  :D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 03:57:27 PM by Viggo »
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
I can't find the form to tell Canon what I want changed on the european site, can someone please tell them this? :

2.  The abillity to add "choose AF scenario" as an item on My Menu.
3.  Of course the AF illumination issue.
6.  The abillity to use the multi controller to choose submenues and the small top wheel to scroll top menues (without     
     going through every single submenu.
7.  Exposure compensation in M mode (in auto iso mode)

I agree with all 4 of these. Would be great updates.

canon rumors FORUM