September 19, 2014, 06:15:30 PM

Author Topic: 5d3-- importance of High ISO abilities VS. more DR?  (Read 1171 times)

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
5d3-- importance of High ISO abilities VS. more DR?
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »
I have the 5d2, as most readers would know by now. The 5d3 is tempting me, but I shoot mostly low ISO landscapes. I read the DR of the 5d3 is nearly same as 5d2, but of course high ISOs are much, much cleaner as I can clearly see.

Is DR overrated?? Would bracketing correctly be essentially the same fix? Or HDR? I hate the look of most HDR images, as they look uber-fake and photoshopped to the max. I see DR this, DR that in regards to the D800.

Please give an easy laymen's term explanation of the advantage of more DR which Nikon seems to excel in at the moment. Thanks
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

5d3-- importance of High ISO abilities VS. more DR?
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5d3-- importance of High ISO abilities VS. more DR?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:48:17 PM »
I would say for your uses the benefits will be minimal the bracketing on the mk3 though is significantly better
and since you dont like overporcessed HDR have a look at this guys methods
http://goodlight.us/index.html
APS-H Fanboy

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:18:16 AM »
DR is by no means overrated, as long as you really need it :) Most of the DR talk lately revolves around landscape shooters looking to pull more shadow or highlight detail out of a single exposure. People also cite the benefits of DR when you botch an exposure. In this regard, the D800 is a badass machine. If you have the luxury of shooting with a tripod and merging multiple exposures in post processing, obviously DR goes out the window.

I'm far from the best photographer out there, but in those instances where I wish I had a bit more DR, I often reach the conclusion that I could have easily reduced the DR demands on my gear by slightly tweaking my technique in the field. That said, I realize there are many very talented photographers with impeccable technique and stunning Flickr portfolios that do everything within their power to limit the DR in a scene, yet still need 14-plus stops of DR ;D Quite a vocal bunch, these folks are :)

For landscape photogs like yourself, I don't see how DR can be overrated. The question is whether or not DR is more important than everything else that goes into a system such as lenses, bodies, ergonomics, OE and third-party accessories, serviceability, parts availability, etc.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:23:40 AM by V8Beast »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:18:16 AM »