August 21, 2014, 10:56:39 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Specs [CR2.5]  (Read 42040 times)

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Specs [CR2.5]
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »
... the Nikon seems to have the better image quality because of it's sensor, as well as some of the in-camera lens correction the Canon doesn't have (CA and lens geometry distortion correction). ...

just a thought here, but I dont' look to the camera body to provide lens correction.  To me that belongs in post processing software that can continually update its library and add its own adjustable CA reduction capability.  Lightroom, for example, is very good at this.  Unless there is some key advantage I'm not aware of, I would rather update my PP software than update my camera's firmware to deal with a new lens, for example. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2012, 03:21:47 AM »
Unless there is some key advantage I'm not aware of, I would rather update my PP software than update my camera's firmware to deal with a new lens, for example.

It's convenient when shooting out of the box jpeg - but since there's no way to upload custom (3rd party!!!) lens profiles to the camera, it's no replacement for pp and might even hurt it: If you have vignetting on the lens, the camera raises ev in these zones and you have to lower it in post because the shot was overexposed, you're loosing dynamic resolution. And concerning CA correction, I don't think a in-camera solution can be as effective as Lightroom 4.1.

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
Unless there is some key advantage I'm not aware of, I would rather update my PP software than update my camera's firmware to deal with a new lens, for example.

It's convenient when shooting out of the box jpeg - but since there's no way to upload custom (3rd party!!!) lens profiles to the camera, it's no replacement for pp and might even hurt it: If you have vignetting on the lens, the camera raises ev in these zones and you have to lower it in post because the shot was overexposed, you're loosing dynamic resolution. And concerning CA correction, I don't think a in-camera solution can be as effective as Lightroom 4.1.

right, good catch.  So its only useful for out-of-box jpeg with no post, works only for lenses that the mfg is motivated to include, can't be updated without a firmware flash, and the feature has the potential to damage the final result.  I suspect this is a marketing job to convince buyers that it is good,  but as a practical matter it would only benefit those who use the DSLR as a point-and-shoot and are more likely to stick with the kit lens --  and in these situations the user is less likely to even know or detect the benefit and hard pressed to know if it is working well or not!

illogict

• Power Shot G16
  • Enlightener
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2012, 04:07:10 PM »
right, good catch.  So its only useful for out-of-box jpeg with no post, works only for lenses that the mfg is motivated to include, can't be updated without a firmware flash, and the feature has the potential to damage the final result.  I suspect this is a marketing job to convince buyers that it is good,  but as a practical matter it would only benefit those who use the DSLR as a point-and-shoot and are more likely to stick with the kit lens --  and in these situations the user is less likely to even know or detect the benefit and hard pressed to know if it is working well or not!

I do tend to disagree here. I would love my current body to have in-camera CA correction. Why you ask? I don't want to do anything in post but try to get it right when opening the shutter. I'm only a beginner, but I try to learn, and I tend to think that it may be harder but is more rewarding, even though I know that a little bit of post could do wonders.
Canon EOS 500D — EF 20mm f/2.8 USM, 28mm f/1.8 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM — EF-S 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS — Lensbaby Composer Pro, Double Glass — 2×Speedlite 540EZ, 2×430EZ — Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoom + Ballhead X — Domke F-5XC

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2012, 06:03:36 PM »
Why you ask? I don't want to do anything in post but try to get it right when opening the shutter.

Your mileage may vary, but from my limited experience the most important thing to learn in digital photography is to know what you have to do when shooting and what you can correct in post with what amount of work. Once you have figured that out, you can concentrate only the things that matter while shooting, reducing complexity and improving results. Imho wanting to get it right with a press of a button sounds like asking for disaster.

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »

I do tend to disagree here. I would love my current body to have in-camera CA correction. Why you ask? I don't want to do anything in post but try to get it right when opening the shutter. I'm only a beginner, but I try to learn, and I tend to think that it may be harder but is more rewarding, even though I know that a little bit of post could do wonders.

sure I didn't mean to say it has no use at all  I meant to call out that its broadest appeal is likely to occur under situations where it matters least and is most difficult to verify -- meaning a broad set of beginners would not care about the difference, nor would they know whether or not it is working.  But you represent a notable exception to that glittering generalization -- you are a discriminating beginner who wants to submit to the discipline of creating good jpgs with no post processing.  nice approach!  honestly that use case did not occur to me because when I transitioned from film to digital I never did go "without post" -- but my film days brought just the discipline you are submitting yourself to.  I sent many a roll of K64 to 925 Page Mill Road, Palo Alto CA.

this is not to say one can't learn digital photography without first shooting jpg with no post.  but it will definately help you learn,  and allow you to more fully appreciate the flexibility of things like Lightroom when you are ready.

My sense, given your chartered course,  is that you will  soon (6 months) want to move to raw shooting and transition from "shooting for jpg" to "shooting for lightroom" or whatever PP you choose to use. 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 06:39:28 PM by dlleno »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »