October 20, 2014, 06:23:33 AM

Author Topic: 5D mk II still a viable option?  (Read 17493 times)

briansquibb

Re: 5D mk II still a viable option?
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2012, 03:17:39 AM »
I find it very irritating when posts come in from people that have never owned kit that they are commenting about.

It is quite clear that all they are saying is some regurgitated 'fact' that they have read about on the web sometime.

The 5DII is getting these AF 'facts' stated about it - when those that have had extensive use of one know that using the centre AF point is the way to go - and then the 5D2 delivers top images - and yes even sports pictures if needed, albeit that the low fps is irritating - but hey, it is the same fps as the D800 and there are no murmours there. It is still one of the best low light bodies out there - just meter to the right and the image stays very, very good

The 5DII will always out IQ the 7D - I think it is an ideal entry level ff. It may not have the bells and whistles - it is a simple but very effective camera

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2012, 03:17:39 AM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »
I find it very irritating when posts come in from people that have never owned kit that they are commenting about.

It is quite clear that all they are saying is some regurgitated 'fact' that they have read about on the web sometime.

The 5DII is getting these AF 'facts' stated about it - when those that have had extensive use of one know that using the centre AF point is the way to go - and then the 5D2 delivers top images - and yes even sports pictures if needed, albeit that the low fps is irritating - but hey, it is the same fps as the D800 and there are no murmours there. It is still one of the best low light bodies out there - just meter to the right and the image stays very, very good

The 5DII will always out IQ the 7D - I think it is an ideal entry level ff. It may not have the bells and whistles - it is a simple but very effective camera

Excellent post!  I actually did own the 5D Mark II and when I learned the AF issues, I never had a problem.  I was consistently shooting sports and even trains going 65+ mph.  All you had to do was use the center point in AI Servo Mode and maybe crop a bit in Photoshop or what have you.  I do miss the 7D because it had extra reach and made it sort of like having double the lenses that I own.  If I could shoot more photos I would definitely buy a 7D or a 5D Mark II again and use them in my current lineup.  If you shoot in RAW and can use photo editing, the 5D Mark II and 7D produce top-notch images.  If I had time to do nothing but shoot photos, believe me I'd have FOUR cameras in my kit! :)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

markd61

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »
The mkII was a huge leap over the (still splendid) 5D classic  and I could justify  buying it. I shot weddings, events and portraits in addition to my architectural and commercial work. The mkIII offers a nicer body and much better AF but at present a less compelling value proposition. I do say that low light AF is an issue but overall I am delighted to be able to get all I want in a steeply discounted mkII now that the mkIII is out.

That being said, I AM going to get a mkIII specifically because I am getting more low light event jobs that require the better AF.

For the hobbyist the mkII is the best deal out there. Money saved can go to lenses.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2012, 11:04:40 PM »
The mkII was a huge leap over the (still splendid) 5D classic  and I could justify  buying it. I shot weddings, events and portraits in addition to my architectural and commercial work. The mkIII offers a nicer body and much better AF but at present a less compelling value proposition. I do say that low light AF is an issue but overall I am delighted to be able to get all I want in a steeply discounted mkII now that the mkIII is out.

That being said, I AM going to get a mkIII specifically because I am getting more low light event jobs that require the better AF.

For the hobbyist the mkII is the best deal out there. Money saved can go to lenses.

I Do Admit, The 5Dc is still producing the goods for me in 2012.

(My assistant in training BTW)

briansquibb

« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2012, 02:19:31 AM »

The 5Dc is the only camera I regret selling.

I used the 5Dc as my first DSLR ff camera and for about 18months, several weddings and christenings. Only just coming from film I was blown away at just how good the colours were (and still are). The 13mp and slow fps encouraged me to buy the 5DII. I used the 5DII for just over 2 years and got so many good images. The 5DII made way for my 1DS3 which I have really fallen for and is now my regular camera - the colour rendition of the 1DS3 is very close to that of the 5Dc - not surprising really as they come from the same era.

FF is quite addictive with the images it delivers, after 3 ff bodies I am still in there and loving it

Picture is from 1Ds3 with my 135 f/2 which I have had on all ff bodies. I think it is one of the great combinations, ff +135

Taken at f/2

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2012, 12:49:11 PM »

The 5Dc is the only camera I regret selling.

I used the 5Dc as my first DSLR ff camera and for about 18months, several weddings and christenings. Only just coming from film I was blown away at just how good the colours were (and still are). The 13mp and slow fps encouraged me to buy the 5DII. I used the 5DII for just over 2 years and got so many good images. The 5DII made way for my 1DS3 which I have really fallen for and is now my regular camera - the colour rendition of the 1DS3 is very close to that of the 5Dc - not surprising really as they come from the same era.

FF is quite addictive with the images it delivers, after 3 ff bodies I am still in there and loving it

Picture is from 1Ds3 with my 135 f/2 which I have had on all ff bodies. I think it is one of the great combinations, ff +135

Taken at f/2

5Dc+135 F/2L is an utter stunner.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:57:10 PM by RLPhoto »

D_Rochat

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »
Great stuff guys! These really show that just because a camera is "old", it doesn't mean it's no good. I think too often people get wrapped around getting new tech thinking that the old is irrelevant. RLPhoto, I love your B&W's.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »
Great stuff guys! These really show that just because a camera is "old", it doesn't mean it's no good. I think too often people get wrapped around getting new tech thinking that the old is irrelevant. RLPhoto, I love your B&W's.

Totally agree

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »

Totally agree
+1 and +1
I love B&W. It gets the message across (provided you have one ;) ).

I wish I could find some folks who wanted to get rid of their "old cameras" here in India...

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »
rather than sell my mk 2 I spent another $200 or so on a brightscreen for it
it make the VF sooo much better and when i am going to shoot a manual only lens thats the body I use now
the 5Dmk3 has a really nice big bright VF that is good for MF but the brightscreen in the mk2 with the old school split pea center is so fun for MF
APS-H Fanboy

Mark1

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2012, 09:30:56 PM »
I've owned a 30D, 5D1 and now have a 5D2. Once you go full frame you will never look back - fact!

The 5D2 is a massive upgrade from the 5D1 in terms of functionality (live view, better LCD, customisable control, raw size control, the list is endless) but the 5D3 from what I am seeing is not such a quantum leap in technology or quality. I honestly could never justify the huge price difference between the 5D2 and 5D3 particularly as I have never had a single problem with the AF. 

Pound for pound, the 5D2 has to be the best value DSLR currently on the market. Buy one before they run out of stock!

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »
rather than sell my mk 2 I spent another $200 or so on a brightscreen for it
it make the VF sooo much better and when i am going to shoot a manual only lens thats the body I use now
the 5Dmk3 has a really nice big bright VF that is good for MF but the brightscreen in the mk2 with the old school split pea center is so fun for MF
Why did they ever get rid of the split screen and annular ring of micro prisms that they had on the AE1? Were they smoking pot! I so miss the split center and the 5D3 has no way of putting that in :(

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »

I thought I'm the only one who's bugged by that.... :)

About the 5d2.. 
There was a time when it was the top. "THE" camera everyone was waiting for and talking about.. it produced endless amount of amazing photos all over the world.. so I don't really understand why would anyone think that it stopped being great... Of course I understand its certain limitations - AF for certain situations - but if it did all those amazing photos before I'm sure it's still capable now...
I shot these (http://atlanticpicture.com/p408912026/h1556fb5d#h1556fb5d) a couple days ago and I'm very happy with mine... but what do I know, I still like my 60D too :))

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2012, 07:30:16 AM »

Totally agree
+1 and +1
I love B&W. It gets the message across (provided you have one ;) ).

I wish I could find some folks who wanted to get rid of their "old cameras" here in India...

Thank you.  These were all taken @ f/2 @ 800 ISO on the 5Dc And edited on my aging windows XP pro system. None of this equipment is really up to date. Lol.

vbi

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2012, 08:28:24 AM »
For years the 5D2 was the camera to aspire to, and even now with the latest releases it is still the camera to compare the very best with, so that still makes it an excellent camera to use.

Quite honestly, I don't need the improved AF of the 5D3. It would be nice to have, and my inner techno-geek would love to have the latest, greatest shiny toy, but will it improve the AF success rate of my 5D2 which is about 99% in a studio? Not really.

Do I need more megapixels? Not really.

Do I need to buy new lenses, new radio triggers? Not really.

For someone moving to FF the 5D2 offers the best value for money.
All politicians are scum
5D3, 5D2, 7D and too many lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2012, 08:28:24 AM »