Rumors > Speedlites, Printers, Accessories

Canon BG-E11 Battery Grip Pics & Preview

(1/10) > >>

Canon Rumors:
Share BG-E11 User Preview
A reader of the site sent in some pics of the new BG-E11 battery grip for the 5D Mark III. It was noted a view new features and differences between it and the BG-E6 for the 5D Mark II.
* Better build quality and stiffer than the bg-e6
* New battery door cover storage setup
* New way to insert batteries
* Feels close to holding a 1D series body Retail for the new battery grip is $349USD. thanks Oliver Continue reading for pics of the BG-E11. What's in the box" New design for the battery cover New design for the battery cover Top view The new joystick for vertical shooting Joystick and buttons cr

lonelywhitelights:
all these great features and yet they still think it necessary to have to remove the battery entirely AND have an on/off switch. Not having it switched on and missing that one shot because of a memory lapse isn't really fair now is it. Get rid of the on/off switch! I won't even mention how ridiculous $350 is.

ps. Canon could take some inspiration from Nikon when it comes to battery grips.

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: lonelywhitelights on May 21, 2012, 10:37:31 AM ---ps. Canon could take some inspiration from Nikon when it comes to battery grips.

--- End quote ---

Agreed - Canon could force you to buy a grip to unlock a higher frame rate for the camera.  That would be lovely. 

kimvette:

--- Quote from: lonelywhitelights on May 21, 2012, 10:37:31 AM ---all these great features and yet they still think it necessary to have to remove the battery entirely AND have an on/off switch. Not having it switched on and missing that one shot because of a memory lapse isn't really fair now is it.
--- End quote ---

The same could be said for the mode switch on top - maybe that ought to be eliminated. Eliminate Av, Tv, and M modes because it is far too easy to mess up due to a memory lapse.

Seriously, your request is ridiculous. Don't like the on/off switch? Turn it on, and hot glue, silicone, or just tape it in place. The switch is there for convenience, so that those of us who might brace the camera against a fence, a tree, or a pole to stabilize the camera on a long shot won't accidentally actuate one of the buttons on the grip. Turning it off is optional, so my suggestion to you is to just turn it on and then forget about it.

--- Quote ---Get rid of the on/off switch! I won't even mention how ridiculous $350 is.
--- End quote ---

I'm sure Zeikos will come out with a $120 grip before too long, and then a bunch of chinese knockoffs will appear for $60 ea. But, you are complaining about the price of the grip for a $3500 body? Seriously?

--- Quote ---ps. Canon could take some inspiration from Nikon when it comes to battery grips.
--- End quote ---

Right - as a previous user mentioned, they could require the grip to unlock certain features. They could halve the frame rate without the grip, or maybe they could cripple bracketing - oh, I know! Maybe they could eliminate some of the setting views from the two integrated displays, and move those displays into the grip, or perhaps they could eliminate the realtime clock and move it into the grip, so your photos aren't timestamped without the optional grip. I like your thinking; they could take a cue from Nikon and expand upon their business model, and create a whole new revenue stream. ;)
[/quote]

traveller:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on May 21, 2012, 10:45:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: lonelywhitelights on May 21, 2012, 10:37:31 AM ---ps. Canon could take some inspiration from Nikon when it comes to battery grips.

--- End quote ---

Agreed - Canon could force you to buy a grip to unlock a higher frame rate for the camera.  That would be lovely.

--- End quote ---

Nikon need the battery grip to supply a higher voltage to the film winding unit  ;D

Seriously though, Canon need to dump the extension piece that fits into the battery compartment and adopt the Nikon solution of simply having electrical contacts on the bottom of the body (preferably with some weather sealing).  I don't understand why Canon has stuck with this system -don't tell me that Nikon has their technique patented...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version