July 24, 2014, 07:11:53 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D & EOS 7D Mark II Speculation [CR1]  (Read 57862 times)

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 70D & EOS 7D Mark II Speculation [CR1]
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2012, 12:48:27 AM »
  On my 7D, focus is fast and accurate (after AFMA).

+1 I bought my 7D from an owner who was getting soft pictures. He couldn't have understand how to use it or used cheap lens on it because for me I have had nothing but sharp images.

- keep the shutter speed high and use the factory defaults (except for using the AF expansion point)

I bought my 7D new. I had "soft" focus issues from the beginning. Not so much you could tell from the LCD on the camera screen, but enough to ruin photos once viewed from your PC. They were NOT sharp. I have shot with several camera bodies (I own the XT, XTi, T1i, 40D, 50D, 5D2...) and have several lenses so this is NOT my first rodeo, so please excuse my post if you disagree that some 7D's have a "soft focus" issue.

I have several excellent quality lenses from Canon (some L) and my focus issue was with all of them and ONLY on my 7D. After 4 months of frustrating photos I sent my camera back to Canon. Their conclusion? My AF sensor was misaligned and needed adjustment. The result??? Perfect focus and super sharp images. (All within a week of sending it in.) I posed a scan of my repair order to "prove" my claim.

The "soft focus" problem is REAL for some models of the 7D. Does it affect ALL of them? No. But, Canon took care of the problem and fixed it under warranty. Am I unhappy with my 7D? NO!!!

It is a great camera and like all sophisticated electronics, it is subject to occasional problems and fixes from time to time.

I think it is unfair of you to claim that "focus issues" are solely user error and not perhaps a real problem. (Google this for yourself! It IS real!!!) Or perhaps I didn't "understand" my 7D before Canon looked at it, who knows? Just my 2 cents...

D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:14:48 AM by Richard8971 »
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2012, 12:48:27 AM »

Richard8971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2012, 01:27:44 AM »
I thought it would be fair to post a "before" and "after" photo of the "focus" fix. Photo '7d test 1' was before and '7d test 2' was after. The images speak for themselves. Same lens, same camera, same crop size (within reason). :)

But then again, maybe I didn't understand how to use my camera before Canon "fixed" it. (sigh  ::))

D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:39:29 AM by Richard8971 »
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

briansquibb

« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2012, 01:36:47 AM »
  On my 7D, focus is fast and accurate (after AFMA).

+1 I bought my 7D from an owner who was getting soft pictures. He couldn't have understand how to use it or used cheap lens on it because for me I have had nothing but sharp images.

- keep the shutter speed high and use the factory defaults (except for using the AF expansion point)

I bought my 7D new. I had "soft" focus issues from the beginning. Not so much you could tell from the LCD on the camera screen, but enough to ruin photos once viewed from your PC. They were NOT sharp. I have shot with several camera bodies (I own the XT, XTi, T1i, 40D, 50D, 5D2...) and have several lenses so this is NOT my first rodeo, so please excuse my post if you disagree that some 7D's have a "soft focus" issue.

I have several excellent quality lenses from Canon (some L) and my focus issue was with all of them and ONLY on my 7D. After 4 months of frustrating photos I sent my camera back to Canon. Their conclusion? My AF sensor was misaligned and needed adjustment. The result??? Perfect focus and super sharp images. (All within a week of sending it in.) I posed a scan of my repair order to "prove" my claim.

The "soft focus" problem is REAL for some models of the 7D. Does it affect ALL of them? No. But, Canon took care of the problem and fixed it under warranty. Am I unhappy with my 7D? NO!!!

It is a great camera and like all sophisticated electronics, it is subject to occasional problems and fixes from time to time.

I think it is unfair of you to claim that "focus issues" are solely user error and not perhaps a real problem. (Google this for yourself! It IS real!!!) Or perhaps I didn't "understand" my 7D before Canon looked at it, who knows? Just my 2 cents...

D

I have never claimed that all "focus issues" are solely user error - so I am unsure why you are being so agressively defensive.

However what I am sure of is that when people with a problem shout long and loud (with a genuine problem)  then others without a hardware problem get doubts in their head and interpret poor user performance as their camera having the problem. This suited me fine as I got a near mint 7D for £700 because the owner convinced himself that his 7D had the "focus issue" and the 7D was out of warantee.

This forum is littered with such mass hysteria for all sorts of street myths that turn into 'facts' over a period of time.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 01, 2012, 01:39:28 AM »
can't we get back to propogating the rumour that the 7DII will be APS-H? :D
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2012, 01:43:04 AM »
can't we get back to propogating the rumour that the 7DII will be APS-H? :D

Yeh baby :D

Richard8971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2012, 01:44:22 AM »
I have never claimed that all "focus issues" are solely user error - so I am unsure why you are being so agressively defensive.

However what I am sure of is that when people with a problem shout long and loud (with a genuine problem)  then others without a hardware problem get doubts in their head and interpret poor user performance as their camera having the problem.

Exactly my point. There IS a problem with the 7D. Canon needs to fix it. Kinda like the Edsel, remember?

And for the record, I am not being "defensive". I am pointing out a real problem with a real camera and proving it. Not all problems are "user" error as you claimed, just my opinion. Take it as that.

D

Richard8971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2012, 01:51:06 AM »
This forum is littered with such mass hysteria for all sorts of street myths that turn into 'facts' over a period of time.

I provided proof... where is yours? Just wondering.

D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2012, 01:51:06 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2012, 01:56:59 AM »

However what I am sure of is that when people with a problem shout long and loud (with a genuine problem)  then others without a hardware problem get doubts in their head and interpret poor user performance as their camera having the problem.

Exactly my point. There IS a problem with the 7D. Canon needs to fix it. Kinda like the Edsel, remember?

And for the record, I am not being "defensive". I am pointing out a real problem with a real camera and proving it. Not all problems are "user" error as you claimed, just my opinion. Take it as that.

D

Please give me the reference where I have stated that all problems are user error

Richard8971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2012, 02:07:34 AM »
He couldn't have understand how to use it or used cheap lens on it because for me I have had nothing but sharp images.

Well, maybe not ALL of the reported focus problems you are blaiming on "user error", (which I admitted in a previous post) but I cannot help not notice that your answer to your "soft focus" problem on your own 7D, is to 'keep the shutter speed high'?? ???  And of course, I cannot help but notice that you blamed his "soft focus issue" on his lack of "understanding" of his 7D. Hmmm....

That is not a legitimate answer. That is in fact, a bandage to a problem. I bet if you sent your 7D to Canon they would find a problem. Forgive me but, I cannot always "keep my shutter speed high" to insure sharp images. Sometimes, I have to shoot "old school" and slow things down a bit.  8) And, when I do, I expect, super sharp images. Which of course, is what I get now that my 7D has been fixed by Canon. :D Don't believe me? Check out the photos I posted in a previous post to this thread. :D

D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:28:43 AM by Richard8971 »

briansquibb

« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2012, 02:36:07 AM »
He couldn't have understand how to use it or used cheap lens on it because for me I have had nothing but sharp images.

Well, maybe not ALL of the reported focus problems you are blaiming on "user error", (which I admitted in a previous post) but I cannot help not notice that your answer to your "soft focus" problem on your own 7D, is to 'keep the shutter speed high'?? ???  And of course, I cannot help but notice that you blamed his "soft focus issue" on his lack of "understanding" of his 7D. Hmmm....

That is not a legitimate answer. That is in fact, a bandage to a problem. I bet if you sent your 7D to Canon they would find a problem. Forgive me but, I cannot always "keep my shutter speed high" to insure sharp images. Sometimes, I have to shoot "old school" and slow things down a bit.  8) And, when I do, I expect, super sharp images. Which of course, is what I get now that my 7D has been fixed by Canon. :D Don't believe me? Check out the photos I posted in a previous post to this thread. :D

D

In my experience, and on this forum too, there is a minority who shoot slow, thinking that IS keeps the image sharp - and then wonder why their images are soft as they dont understand about motion blur.

Yes I do think the previous owner of my 7D did not understand - I have had nothing but sharp pictures from the camera. I have never had a soft focus issue with my 7D which you are now claiming I have - the previous owner did - but that WAS a user error.

So far you have accused me of saying:

- all  focus problems can be blaimed on "user error"
- my 7D has a focus error which I am applying bandage to the problem

So two libellous accusations so far - any more?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2012, 02:44:32 AM »
In my experience, and on this forum too, there is a minority who shoot slow, thinking that IS keeps the image sharp - and then wonder why their images are soft as they dont understand about motion blur.

And that's the way marketing wants it: You pay money for features and get immediate tack-sharp pictures.

Imho, basically man people don't have in mind that it's just "probabilities" that help to have a good keeper rate like IS, good af, high shutter speed but think that if you've got any single one of these you're bound to have 100% sharp keepers.

Btw, with a bit of training I don't think it's that hard to tell motion blur from out of focus in most cases.

Richard8971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2012, 02:48:18 AM »

D

Yes I do think the previous owner of my 7D did not understand - I have had nothing but sharp pictures from the camera. I have never had a soft focus issue with my 7D which you are now claiming I have - the previous owner did - but that WAS a user error.

LOL!!! No, I did not blame you that you said that ALL 7D focus issues are "user" error. Read my previous posts and you will see that for yourself!

And yes, I believe that if you have to shoot "fast shutter speeds" to achieve good photos with your 7D then YES, your camera has a problem. Which of course YOU said you had to DO to get sharp photos. Am I missing something? I simply quoted what you said... did I misunderstand? I am sorry otherwise... Or perhaps something else, or someone is to blame.  :-X

:)

D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:54:39 AM by Richard8971 »

Richard8971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »

D

My images are fantastic once Canon fixed my AF sensor. See proof above. Any questions? Really?

How about you show us some photos from your 7D before your purchase and then after? (because of your increased "understanding" of the 7D, your photos should be outstanding compared to his!) No? So how do we know for sure? Just wondering....

D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:03:59 AM by Richard8971 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2012, 03:03:59 AM »

D

LOL!!! No, I did not blame you  that you said that ALL 7D focus issues are "user" error. Read my previous posts and you will see that for yourself!

And yes, I believe that if   you have to shoot "Fast shutter speeds" to achieve good photos with your 7D then YES, your camera has a problem.

D

Yep there you go - missed the point again about shooting fast. Shooting fast means shooting fast enough to avoid motion blur and handshake.

For example with a 7D the rule of thumb for a lens with no IS is 1/ff equivalent focal length. ie for a 50mm lens this would be faster than 1/80th. However for some moving objects 1/80th is not fast enough to avoid motion blur eg dancers so you would have to increase the speed to cater for that - for dancers that might well be 1/250

The previous owner would take pictures like this at 1/50th because he relied on IS of his 18-55 kit lens to stop handshake but forgot the  motion blur. The IS in this example would not make the slightest difference because the motion blur would still happen. If you dont 'shoot fast' then you will get blurred images.

Please stop insisting that my 7D has a focus problem - it doesn't

Richard8971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2012, 03:07:24 AM »

D

LOL!!! No, I did not blame you  that you said that ALL 7D focus issues are "user" error. Read my previous posts and you will see that for yourself!

And yes, I believe that if   you have to shoot "Fast shutter speeds" to achieve good photos with your 7D then YES, your camera has a problem.

D

Yep there you go - missed the point again about shooting fast. Shooting fast means shooting fast enough to avoid motion blur and handshake.

For example with a 7D the rule of thumb for a lens with no IS is 1/ff equivalent focal length. ie for a 50mm lens this would be faster than 1/80th. However for some moving objects 1/80th is not fast enough to avoid motion blur eg dancers so you would have to increase the speed to cater for that - for dancers that might well be 1/250

The previous owner would take pictures like this at 1/50th because he relied on IS of his 18-55 kit lens to stop handshake but forgot the  motion blur. The IS in this example would not make the slightest difference because the motion blur would still happen. If you dont 'shoot fast' then you will get blurred images.

Please stop insisting that my 7D has a focus problem - it doesn't

I shoot everything hald-held, in low light and full sun, whatever. It doesn't matter to me what you say without proof with photos, like I provided. Nice chatting with you. Glad you like your 7.

D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:09:47 AM by Richard8971 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2012, 03:07:24 AM »