April 25, 2018, 06:55:47 PM

Author Topic: Canon are you listening...?? NIKON D600  (Read 137728 times)

x-vision

• EOS 7D Mark II
Re: Canon are you listening...?? NIKON D600
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
Round 5D3's price tag 1000$ down and we all will agree that it's an amazing camera in every respect.

Exactly.

At $2500, the 5DIII will start being perceived as the best camera Canon has ever made ;).

The thing is, this is exactly what Canon needs to do ... ASAP.

Because no, the D600 will not be DX.

It will be a FF camera priced at $1999 that will kill (at least) two birds with one stone:
- the 5DIII at its current price
- any hope that Canon might have to charge more than $1500 for the 7DII (if there's a 7DII)

Can't wait for the D600 to get released. Go Nikon!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2012, 06:35:52 PM »

Because no, the D600 will not be DX.

It will be a FF camera priced at $1999 that will kill (at least) two birds with one stone:
- the 5DIII at its current price
- any hope that Canon might have to charge more than $1500 for the 7DII (if there's a 7DII)

Can't wait for the D600 to get released. Go Nikon!

Oh good - off to NR then?

Kit.

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »
i think people just say more FPS but more than 90% photos posted on web are either static or landscape  or portraits..
90% photos posted on web are pics of cats in poor light. Half of them are pics of fast-moving cats.

gmrza

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2012, 07:16:43 PM »
What's really amazing is that somehow some people rate 1fps difference more precious than 36MP and 14.5 stops of dynamic range... Wow...

+1
Exactly my thought.
The 5D3 is a great camera within its scope, the D800 is a great camera in every respect.
The ridiculous fact is that the D800 is 500$ cheaper, while it should be the other way around.
The amount of flaws you can accept is of course heavily dependent on the price you pay. Round 5D3's price tag 1000$ down and we all will agree that it's an amazing camera in every respect.

Looked at another way, Nikon feels it cannot charge as much for the D800 as Canon can for the 5D3, and Canon feels it can charge more for the 5D3 than Nikon charges for the D800.  That is not saying one camera is better than the other - that is just how Canon and Nikon see their offerings in the market, and how they judge market demand.

Better products don't always sell better.  I have worked for an organisation that had an inferior offering to its main competitors, but we killed our competitors in the market.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

Axilrod

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »
We get it, you hate the 5DIII, you hate Canon lenses and you want to have sex with the D800.  That's ok, but I just don't get why you are complaining about it on a Canon Rumor site.  SHUT UP AND SWITCH TO NIKON ALREADY!

You're ignoring the most sacred forum rule: Don't feed the troll or you might become one, too. We won't have to wait for long to have tons of real Nikon "fanboys" around if Canon enthusiasts are provoked that easily once Nikon's products may have a slight edge... which is regrettable, because I don't see how "Canon rumors" cannot be a good place where rumors that place Canon at a disadvantage are disproven, too.

Fixed: We get it, you hate the 5DIII, you hate Canon lenses and you want to make sweet love to the D800.  That's ok, but I just don't get why you are complaining about it on a Canon Rumor site.  Nikon clearly is a better choice for you and I think you would be a happier person if you sold your Canon gear and bought Nikon gear.   
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

briansquibb

« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2012, 01:42:16 AM »

Looked at another way, Nikon feels it cannot charge as much for the D800 as Canon can for the 5D3, and Canon feels it can charge more for the 5D3 than Nikon charges for the D800.  That is not saying one camera is better than the other - that is just how Canon and Nikon see their offerings in the market, and how they judge market demand.

Better products don't always sell better.  I have worked for an organisation that had an inferior offering to its main competitors, but we killed our competitors in the market.

Rather like Betamax and VHS then

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2012, 02:12:34 AM »
i think people just say more FPS but more than 90% photos posted on web are either static or landscape  or portraits.. and i don't know how many people really use high speed mode all the time ..i am sure less than 20 percent of the time..but for the sake of arguing they say they use.

Most people wouldn't post their kid pics (playing sport) on the internet, where high FPS would be used. I'm one of them  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2012, 02:12:34 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2012, 02:16:22 AM »
i think people just say more FPS but more than 90% photos posted on web are either static or landscape  or portraits.. and i don't know how many people really use high speed mode all the time ..i am sure less than 20 percent of the time..but for the sake of arguing they say they use.

Most people wouldn't post their kid pics (playing sport) on the internet, where high FPS would be used. I'm one of them  ;)

... or beach volleyball ...

lola

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2012, 02:53:10 AM »
Camera 1 - sports, general purpose

1. I need 10fps
2. I dont need more mps
3. I dont need more DR
4. I dont want ff

Camera 2 - portrait

1. I need 5fps
2. 21mps is enough
3. I dont need more DR
I would prefer a 300 f/2.8 II to a d800

How is it even possible not to want more DR?!?!? It's not a preference or personal taste, it's the very essence of image capture! This is no different than saying, for example: I don't want a camera capturing the color red, it's no big deal since I have all the other colors... That's amazingly and unbelievably... well... I don't want to pick a word for here...
20D, 40D, 5D, 5D Mark II, 1DX, D800 EF 17-40mm. f/4.0 L USM, EF 70-200mm. f/2.8 L USM, EF 24-105mm. f/4 L IS USM, EF 100mm. f/2.8 L IS USM Macro, AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm. f/2.8 G ED VR II, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

briansquibb

« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2012, 03:25:16 AM »
Camera 1 - sports, general purpose

1. I need 10fps
2. I dont need more mps
3. I dont need more DR
4. I dont want ff

Camera 2 - portrait

1. I need 5fps
2. 21mps is enough
3. I dont need more DR
I would prefer a 300 f/2.8 II to a d800

How is it even possible not to want more DR?!?!? It's not a preference or personal taste, it's the very essence of image capture! This is no different than saying, for example: I don't want a camera capturing the color red, it's no big deal since I have all the other colors... That's amazingly and unbelievably... well... I don't want to pick a word for here...

Have you checked what DR you are currently using then?

Here is a picture from the weekend - 7DR taken with a 11DR camera.

So what possible benefit would the (so called) 14DR give me? 10fps is far important for me.

You have to remember that the 14DR is not a straight from the camera 14DR, it is a pp'd image to get it (it is a DxO fabricated number). Out of the camera the D800 doesn't manage 12DR so in reality the D800 buys very little extra DR. Sorry that reality doesn't match your Nikon fuelled dreams
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:29:06 AM by briansquibb »

Albi86

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2012, 04:04:18 AM »
What's really amazing is that somehow some people rate 1fps difference more precious than 36MP and 14.5 stops of dynamic range... Wow...

+1
Exactly my thought.
The 5D3 is a great camera within its scope, the D800 is a great camera in every respect.
The ridiculous fact is that the D800 is 500$ cheaper, while it should be the other way around.
The amount of flaws you can accept is of course heavily dependent on the price you pay. Round 5D3's price tag 1000$ down and we all will agree that it's an amazing camera in every respect.

Surely.
As I said some pages back, Canon has better lenses and they alone force many people (including me) to stick with Canon. I accept to pay a bit more to have a slightly inferior camera for the sake of coupling it with a top lens.

But there is of course a limit to it, provided by mere common sense. If Nikon's D600 proves itself to be such a bargain and if Canon doesn't lower prices considerably within 1 year (let's say the old 5D2's price point, at 2900€ for the kit), then it becomes quite inconvenient.

Very good MF primes from Samyang and Voigtländer are chipped in their Nikon versions but not in Canon's. Nikon's 24-70 f/2.8 and 14-24 are very good lenses. Telezooms can be provided by Sigma and Tamron.
My point is... if I can get a very good FF camera for less than 2000€, then I can make it work also without L-grade lenses, and it would be unlikely for me to pay a 1500€ premium for a similarly specced camera.

briansquibb

« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2012, 04:10:24 AM »

Very good MF primes from Samyang and Voigtländer are chipped in their Nikon versions but not in Canon's. Nikon's 24-70 f/2.8 and 14-24 are very good lenses. Telezooms can be provided by Sigma and Tamron.
My point is... if I can get a very good FF camera for less than 2000€, then I can make it work also without L-grade lenses, and it would be unlikely for me to pay a 1500€ premium for a similarly specced camera.

Do you drive a Mercedes or a Ford.

It is your personal choice - but please dont try to make out that we are foolish in our choice just because it is different from yours

Albi86

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2012, 04:22:22 AM »

It is your personal choice - but please dont try to make out that we are foolish in our choice just because it is different from yours

Eeeerrrr.... when did I insult anyone?
I am clearly talking about price/quality ratios, which is for me the most important feature. There are also people who won't care about it and buy the cheapest or the most high-end product. I'm not saying it's stupid, as long as they don't say it is the best solution on the market.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2012, 04:22:22 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2012, 04:34:11 AM »
How is it even possible not to want more DR?!?!?

Imho it's self-evident that everybody would take more dr for free and w/o other tradeoffs, so obviously it's about "what do I want next?". And indeed, personally even on my 60d I very seldom have a problem with dr if I overexpose and recover highlights from raw. The one problem is very low resolution in shadows, but it doesn't concern that many shots.

So for my current shooting style & if'd be asked, I'd want less iso noise over more dr - the latter might be more convenient if shooting events and the like with flash where you often get the exposure wrong and cannot do bracketing.

lola

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2012, 04:44:19 AM »

Blonde vs. brunette is personal choice, not Mercedes vs. Ford. It's simply a matter of how deep your pockets go! You may not afford a Mercedes but thinking a Ford is "better" is just foolish...
20D, 40D, 5D, 5D Mark II, 1DX, D800 EF 17-40mm. f/4.0 L USM, EF 70-200mm. f/2.8 L USM, EF 24-105mm. f/4 L IS USM, EF 100mm. f/2.8 L IS USM Macro, AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm. f/2.8 G ED VR II, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2012, 04:44:19 AM »