September 23, 2014, 10:54:03 PM

Author Topic: Do the 1D bodies historically drop in price after release?  (Read 1759 times)

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
Or do they have sticky prices?

Kicking around getting a 1DX and wondering if it would be better to wait for a possible price drop. I mean after the camera is finally available to us mortals (say early next year)

canon rumors FORUM

hectorjr

Re: Do the 1D bodies historically drop in price after release?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »
It may vary from continent to continent but here in Europe the 1D bodies usually never drop in price. I bought my 1D4 for US$ 5000, which is the same as the launch price 3 years ago. The 1Ds3 and D3X bodies are still being sold for roughly US$ 8000 brand new.

The best bet would be to get a used or refurbished one. These cameras are so durable and tough and if you can get one with a low shutter count you get yourself a relatively inexpensive camera which theoretically will serve you for many years.

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
It may vary from continent to continent but here in Europe the 1D bodies usually never drop in price. I bought my 1D4 for US$ 5000, which is the same as the launch price 3 years ago. The 1Ds3 and D3X bodies are still being sold for roughly US$ 8000 brand new.

Yeah that was my suspicion

The best bet would be to get a used or refurbished one. These cameras are so durable and tough and if you can get one with a low shutter count you get yourself a relatively inexpensive camera which theoretically will serve you for many years.

That's a good idea, of course many or most of those pros are pretty tough (cosmetically and whatnot) on their cameras. Maybe a Lens Rentals ones. But by then it seems like the used price isn't that much less than new, might as well get one with the new plastic smell still on it.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »
Generally, they do not drop in price until discontinued, but a slight drop might happen after three years.  Used prices will drop a bit.  Refurbs will be hard to find, and probably won't hit the market for a year.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »
It is quite amazing really. To think you could get Canon's flagship (when they finally ship) and then, if you have kept it in good condition, sell it in 2 or 3 years when they bring out the new version, for not that much less than you originally paid. Makes a very expensive camera, very affordable in the long run.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:04:38 AM »
Maybe a Lens Rentals ones. But by then it seems like the used price isn't that much less than new, might as well get one with the new plastic smell still on it.

Careful - Roger may send you one that's been bearly used... :D
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 04:32:44 AM »
Low shutter count with a 1D series? I don't think that exist. If you press the shutter for like 2 seconds you have already taken 1000 photos :P
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 04:32:44 AM »

lopicma

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Google+ Page
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »
I really hate to "stir the pot" on this issue, but...

I found this WHOLESALE web site, and at least for the US market, it looks like a 5X to 7X markup spread between the "middle men" and the government.

<scam site link removed by mod>

Read it and Weep!

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 01:11:20 PM »
Or do they have sticky prices?

Kicking around getting a 1DX and wondering if it would be better to wait for a possible price drop. I mean after the camera is finally available to us mortals (say early next year)

The answer is no.  1Ds 3 in 2007 new:  7999, new in 2012, 6800
1D4 new in 2009 5000, new in 2012, 5000.

Not seeing it happening soon at all.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
Not really, no. They are called pro bodies for a reason, and Canon knows it.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »
I really hate to "stir the pot" on this issue, but...

I found this WHOLESALE web site, and at least for the US market, it looks like a 5X to 7X markup spread between the "middle men" and the government.

Read it and Weep!

Why would I weep?  Oh, I know why I'd weep...if I sent them money using the available payment methods:

Ways in which you can pay for new orders:
Western Union
Wire Transfer

Nothing fishy going on there, right?!?   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »
The 1D IV street price did drop a little in the UK, but it took a while. I seem to remember it retailing at around £3600 initially, dropping to around £3200 just before it disappeared. The UK street prices do seem to drop quicker than other markets, probably so that UK based sellers can stay relatively competitive with the cheaper grey market imports. The price differential between grey imports and local initial and RRP prices is probably larger in the UK than many markets. At the RRP, it is even cheaper to import from the likes of B&H and Adorama quite often on first release (assuming they're available), even with taxes, depending on exchange rates, so once freely available, the price drops just enough to make the hassle of warranty issues less worthwhile.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »