April 18, 2014, 02:50:53 PM

Author Topic: First RAW off camera: DPP or iPhoto with update...which to use? 5D3  (Read 776 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can advise. I've got my first RAW images off the 5D3, would I be best served taking the RAW, editing it and covering to TIFF/JPEG in DPP, or would I do just as well with iPhoto on the mac, since it has had the 5D3 update?

Thanx,

Cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: First RAW off camera: DPP or iPhoto with update...which to use? 5D3
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »
The user has more affect on the editing of raw than the software.  iphoto is going to be more user friendly than DPP, but also limited. 

For the long run, I'd get Aperture or Lightroom, DXO is also good, and there are others equally good.  The advantage of raw is in the wide range of editing tools available, so after spending that much on a camera, get a good editing tool.  Aperture should be great for a Mac user.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 01:13:53 PM »
The user has more affect on the editing of raw than the software.  iphoto is going to be more user friendly than DPP, but also limited. 

For the long run, I'd get Aperture or Lightroom, DXO is also good, and there are others equally good.  The advantage of raw is in the wide range of editing tools available, so after spending that much on a camera, get a good editing tool.  Aperture should be great for a Mac user.

Thank you for the advice.
I"m planning to get Apeture (and FCPX for that matter too), but was just wanting to work with what I had before I made those purchases. Just paid last months bills....with the new camera, so waiting a short bit before buying more tools.

:)

Thank you!

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 01:13:53 PM »