November 20, 2014, 09:37:16 PM

Author Topic: New Full Frame Camera in Testing [CR1]  (Read 15426 times)

Pompo

Re: New Full Frame Camera in Testing [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 02:25:06 PM »
Canon is officially gasping for air and flipping out ! First there is no high res box , "we have merged the 1d and 1ds series to the 1dx"....then the d800 came along lol!! I wish I never bought this freaking 5D Mark III now,

LOL! I remember the day when hi-res was 12MP with the launch of the 1DS :) I really don't think canon is flipping out ATM.

according to them the 18 mpix was it...til the d800 came out that is....I wish we knew what Canon roadmap was tho!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 02:25:06 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
I may be worng, but I really think that we're quite close to the point of diminishing returns for resolution for the 135 format. I mean, hell, we're already getting great 24" x 36" prints out of it, and shockingly good prints at the full width of an iPF8100. The latest batch not only outperform medium format film from back in the day, they're on a par with large format from not that long ago, and put a lot of Ansel Adams's work to shame.

In the online examples I've seen, you'd need to stick your nose against a door-sized print to tell the difference between the D800 and the 5DIII. The 5DIII images upscale nicely to the D800's native resolution, with less noise and almost as much detail.

Sure, we've got 20 megapickle digicams and could, in theory, scale those up to full frame...but we also know that those 20 megapickle digicams look like crap.

I'll make a prediction: there'll never be a pro-level DSLR 135-format with more than about 60 megapickles, and all it'll get you is a 30" x 40" print that compares well with a 24" x 36" print from a 5DIII or D800. The megapickle count will keep inching towards something in that range, but much more slowly...and, instead, manufacturers will put their improvements into actual camera features like Canon did with the 5DIII.

Damned few photographers need or can use even the full resolution of today's 135-format cameras, and those few who need even more have long since switched to medium format.

Cheers,

b&

Bombsight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 02:34:07 PM »
"Our Flagship model 1DX".

If its Canons "Flagship", then why is Canon adding more megapixels?

Shouldn't a "Flagship" cover all aspects if possible??

I thought the 1 series covered all aspects of photography as much as possible with the technology at hand?

They havent even delivered on their 1DX promise and already, there seems to be something better for landscape photographers?  >:(

jaduffy007

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »
I may be worng, but I really think that we're quite close to the point of diminishing returns for resolution for the 135 format. I mean, hell, we're already getting great 24" x 36" prints out of it, and shockingly good prints at the full width of an iPF8100. The latest batch not only outperform medium format film from back in the day, they're on a par with large format from not that long ago, and put a lot of Ansel Adams's work to shame.

In the online examples I've seen, you'd need to stick your nose against a door-sized print to tell the difference between the D800 and the 5DIII. The 5DIII images upscale nicely to the D800's native resolution, with less noise and almost as much detail.

Sure, we've got 20 megapickle digicams and could, in theory, scale those up to full frame...but we also know that those 20 megapickle digicams look like crap.

I'll make a prediction: there'll never be a pro-level DSLR 135-format with more than about 60 megapickles, and all it'll get you is a 30" x 40" print that compares well with a 24" x 36" print from a 5DIII or D800. The megapickle count will keep inching towards something in that range, but much more slowly...and, instead, manufacturers will put their improvements into actual camera features like Canon did with the 5DIII.

Damned few photographers need or can use even the full resolution of today's 135-format cameras, and those few who need even more have long since switched to medium format.

Cheers,

b&

I would turn your point on its head.  With the D800 and this rumored Canon cam, we 're getting (almost) medium format digital IQ  for a fraction of the cost.  That's a very worthy endeavor and to be celebrated!  I think Canon users will stop marginalizing the breakthrough the D800 is, once they have a camera that is its equal or even better.

Lastly, the 5d3 cannot be upscaled to match the D800 with less noise or equal detail.  I've done the tests with precisely what you suggested, 24x36 prints.  I'm not suggesting it's "night and day", but the difference is easily perceived, no loop required  :)

Jason Beiko

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »
If I was Canon I would be making an semi-official announcement about a possible D800 equivalent.  Why?  it might keep people from switching, if they believe a D800 equivalent is coming.  The reviews of the D800 are so positive WRT studio and landscape use that I know many of us are tempted. 

I'm waiting for two reasons: one, I already have several Canon lenses and equipment and two, if I purchase a Nikon it will be the "e" version which is very difficult to find at the moment. 

jaduffy007

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »
If I was Canon I would be making an semi-official announcement about a possible D800 equivalent.  Why?  it might keep people from switching, if they believe a D800 equivalent is coming.  The reviews of the D800 are so positive WRT studio and landscape use that I know many of us are tempted. 

I'm waiting for two reasons: one, I already have several Canon lenses and equipment and two, if I purchase a Nikon it will be the "e" version which is very difficult to find at the moment.

Obviously it's possible this rumor is a controlled leak.  Who knows.   Yet, I think there's little doubt there is significantly more demand for the D800 models versus the 5d3.

Tayvin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Tayvin Knight Photo
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »
Assuming this rumor is true, I'd think Canon would still wait a couple of years before releasing it.  Everyone that would buy a camera like this just bought a D800/e or Canon 5D III; and if you're a professional you purchased two or three of them.  It will be at least three years before I consider purchasing another camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »
Naaa….. not buying into the high MP, high DR camera scenario. High MP yes but I don’t believe Canon will or can come out with a higher DR sensor anytime soon. So what’s left is a high MP version of the 5D3 maybe with or without low pass filter option but I doubt that also, I think Canon are looking at heavy software development to get them out of this one. Existing 5d3 owners won’t be unhappy.

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »
..but I don’t believe Canon will or can come out with a higher DR sensor anytime soon.
+1 same here.

This is why Canon should buy and use Exmor sensors from Sony, just until they figure out how to improve their own sensor tech.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »
Canon is officially gasping for air and flipping out ! First there is no high res box , "we have merged the 1d and 1ds series to the 1dx"....then the d800 came along lol!! I wish I never bought this freaking 5D Mark III now,

Just sell it and get most your money back, then. Problem solved :)

Seriously, though, a 40-plus megapixel body has been a common rumor for a very long time as a replacement to the 1Ds3. Other rumors suggested the high-megapixel 1Ds3 replacement would take a gripless form factor.
It's when the 1Dx was announced at 18 megapixels that all the talk of a high-mp body suddenly went away. No one expected lower resolution at the time.

IMHO, the 1Dx is clearly more of a 1D5 than a 1Ds4, so Canon would be very short-sighted to concede the high-res studio/landscape market to the competition.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »
Yet, I think there's little doubt there is significantly more demand for the D800 models versus the 5d3.
I see this posted a lot, and yet I've never seen anything confirming it. I've seen posts that retailers are saying they are selling 10:1 on the 5dIII v D800, and vice versa. I think both nailed their target audiences well, its just a matter of which audience is bigger (studio/landscape v wedding/street/event)

That said, it'd be cool to see a high MP camera from Canon in case I ever want to rent one. Likewise, I'd really like to see what a lower MP D800 would be like. If the sensor is that great at high MP, maybe it could do some magical things for low-light at 20-22MP

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2012, 05:06:38 PM »

Obviously it's possible this rumor is a controlled leak.  Who knows.   Yet, I think there's little doubt there is significantly more demand for the D800 models versus the 5d3.

Besides, if they did make a "semi-official" announcement, it would likely hurt sales of the 5D3.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2012, 05:59:01 PM »

Alot of it is I'd say product hype, Canon are not going to hilight the potential short comings of a new product afterall by talking up future releases months before they happen.

Any reaction from Canon to the D800 would most likely have happened a year ago or longer when specs started to leak.

Quote from: Bombsight
"Our Flagship model 1DX".

If its Canons "Flagship", then why is Canon adding more megapixels?

Shouldn't a "Flagship" cover all aspects if possible??

I thought the 1 series covered all aspects of photography as much as possible with the technology at hand?

They havent even delivered on their 1DX promise and already, there seems to be something better for landscape photographers? 

Well the D800 far outperforms the D4 as a landscape camera yet the latter is considered to be Nikons flagship.

Both Canon and Nikons products are afterall goverened as much by the prospective market as they are technical advances and if they believe the sports/jurno market has more money to spend than anyoen else on a FF camera they'll put out a higher end body targetting that market.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:36:05 PM by moreorless »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2012, 05:59:01 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2012, 06:51:13 PM »
I really hope the high MP full frame camera wont be in a 1D style body (and price). Stuff it in a 5D body and price and I'll buy one tomorrow.

ditto, i'm happy with my 5Dmk3 anyway it suits what i do
and with hassleblad dropping prices recently a $10,000 high mp canon doesnt seem like value to me
APS-H Fanboy

Deeohuu

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Assuming this rumor is true, I'd think Canon would still wait a couple of years before releasing it.  Everyone that would buy a camera like this just bought a D800/e or Canon 5D III; and if you're a professional you purchased two or three of them.  It will be at least three years before I consider purchasing another camera.

Everyone?? I see a lot of 5D II owners like myself that are not pushed to go to a 5DIII at all. And put off by the pain of starting a Nikon lenses collection. 5K for a camera along these lines would cost the same as a D800 and a 14-24mm lens and I'd be back to using my Canon 14mm L, 17mm TSE L, 24mm TSE L, and 24mm 1.4 L for architecture and landscape. Sign me up!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »