October 23, 2014, 06:15:01 PM

Author Topic: Heavy camera...best strap?  (Read 8306 times)

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy camera...best strap?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 08:43:53 AM »
Another thought is the Cotton Carrier.

I try not to use neck straps at all with heavier setups.  I use the CC with my 1DIV + 70-200 and sometimes with my 1DIV+300 f/2.8.

I have found that eliminating the neck strap... eliminated neck pain. 

It's not as "cool or hip" to wear a harness, but I guess I don't care what other people think if they see me.  I care about getting the most out of my photography outings...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 08:43:53 AM »

japhoto

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Japhoto blog
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I have a basic BR RS-4 which isn't bad, but is only being used when I'm out with just the camera. If the lens has a tripod mount, then I attach the strap to it. In my case that's the 70-200L and 100-400L and with 24-70L I attach it to the body itself.

But since more often than not I have my F-Stop Tilopa on my back, I'll attach my camera to the backpack harness with Op/Tech straps. For the bodies I have Uni-Loops http://optechusa.com/uni-loop.html and since my backpack has D-rings on the shoulder straps, I've got Swivel hooks http://optechusa.com/swivel-hook.html attached to them.

This setup makes it easy for me to de-attach my camera from all straps and all that is left are the small Uni-Loops. I don't have an Op/Tech Pro strap yet, but it's on the list at some point. This setup is quite cheap, modular and has worked for me quite well for the past six months or so.

wdh777

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  So with a long lens it sounds like the black rapid should attach to the lens vs the camera?  The only issue there is I don't think I can leave the tripod mount on permanently so I'll have to take off the strap and put on the tripod mount every time I use a monopod or tripod?

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 10:12:57 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  So with a long lens it sounds like the black rapid should attach to the lens vs the camera?  The only issue there is I don't think I can leave the tripod mount on permanently so I'll have to take off the strap and put on the tripod mount every time I use a monopod or tripod?

I have used the RS4 with 5D3 and 180 macro and it's fine on the body.  I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with it being on a longer lens than that though

ScottyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
The Cinch Strap by Luma Loop
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »
THIS is a great strap that ticked all my boxes, and I really love it.

http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch

a.)  It attaches to the camera in TWO places/points for strength; one strap loop and one tripod mount, so all the pressure is not on one single point
b.)  Because it attaches at 2 points, there is none of the "TWIRLING"[/u] you get with a single-point mounted strap
c.)  This "CINCH" actually does cinch up or out.  Tug down on the little grip and the strap shortens up and lies solidly against your underarm or back or front for walking.  Tug up on it, and it lengthens out for shooting.
d.)  You don't need to attach to the tripod collar.  You can use the tripod threads on the camera itself, because it is only 1 of the 2 attachment points and the weight is nicely distributed between the two.
e.)  The shoulder pad is very comfortable.

Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

jmp2000

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 10:25:37 AM »
I'm on a 5D3 w/ grip & 70-200 and found that the RS4 on the ring works best. The only thing is I don't trust that stamped / pressed in deal on the strap. It just seems that someday it's just going to give a way and drop the camera.

I use a small Carabiner that will hold 30-40 pounds and it's really secure and easy to get the camera in and out of.

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »
As neuroanatomist mentioned, if you use tripod often, BR is not good for you.

I don't think I mentioned that.  Personally, I have the BlackRapid FastenR-3 semi-permanently attached (with a little Loctite Blue) to a Kirk QRC-1 1" clamp, and I have Wimberley Arca-Swiss-type plates on bodies, and on lenses with tripod collars. That makes it very easy to switch the attachment point of the BR strap, or remove it and mount the camera/lens on a tripod or monopod (both of which have a Wimberley C-12 clamp).
oops!  My bad.  I didn't read your post carefully.
I do have problem to use the BR with tripod because of the edge of the BR mount.  By the way, after I use the BR on my 5D2+Grip+24-70mm for an year, the mount of BR shape has changed a bit.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »

Drama79

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
Meh. I use Couch straps. They're made of vinyl, look great, are far stronger and more comfortable than the Canon strap... AND they look sexy. No, I don't work for them. I've just been super impressed by them as a company.

ideaworx

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • fishing x photography
    • View Profile
    • SaltHD
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 06:52:02 PM »
Meh. I use Couch straps. They're made of vinyl, look great, are far stronger and more comfortable than the Canon strap... AND they look sexy. No, I don't work for them. I've just been super impressed by them as a company.

Guitar straps? Legit ;)
5DM3 x Some Lenses

Drama79

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »

Guitar straps? Legit ;)

They do custom guitar straps - check their site. But the point holds, if they can cope with guitars, they can cope with my 5D3...

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »
I use the Crumpler Convenient Disgrace on my 5DM3. Love it. Highly recommend for tripod users. The Crumpler Industry Disgrace [gotta love those names] is the same strap without the quick-release.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »