April 19, 2014, 08:40:19 PM

Author Topic: Starter Gear (newbie here)  (Read 5630 times)

TRIPL3try

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Gear (newbie here)
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »
Unless you are rich, your budget is limited and the possibilities are endless. People on this forum are always ready to help you spend your money, but there will be plenty of time to do that. After the camera, lens, filter, batteries and cards, check out eBay before buying anything else new.

You're right, I don't want to jump into anything too quickly.  eBay is pretty good for equipment, though?  I just recently got into using eBay. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »

atvinyard

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Camera and Garden
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »
Ebay is great, just make sure you do your research.  It's easy to end up paying almost as much for something used as it would cost new, and that's no bueno.  Make sure you know the value of what you are bidding on, so you can get a good deal. Don't forget the canon refurbished store either.

I'm with unfocused.  Build your kit slowly and with thought.  You can't really know what you need/want until you know what you need/want, and that will come with discovering the things that you actually want to do with your camera. Otherwise, you might end up spending money on things you may never use.

I would recommend getting the 50 1.8 upfront, unless you want to spring for something better like the 1.4 or a 35 of some sort (f/2?).  I can pretty much guarantee you'll want the wide aperture and shallow depth of field.  It's like crack.
Canon 6D, Canon 5Dc, Rebel T2i, Canon EF-S 10-22, Sigma 35/1.4, Olympus OM Zuiko 21/3.5, 24/2.8,  28/2, 40/2, 50/1.4, 50/3.5 macro, 100/2.8, Canon EF 20/2.8, 35/2 IS, 40/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 200/2.8L, Contax/Zeiss 28/2.8, 50/1.7, 85/1.4, 135/2.8, Soligor 135/2

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:45 PM »
Ebay is great, just make sure you do your research.  It's easy to end up paying almost as much for something used as it would cost new, and that's no bueno.  Make sure you know the value of what you are bidding on, so you can get a good deal. Don't forget the canon refurbished store either.

Yeah, I should have been more specific. I find eBay great for accessories like soft boxes, light stands, bags, etc. Things that people buy, use for awhile and then find they don't need or want. For actual camera gear, I agree the Canon refurbished store is usually a better deal if you are in the U.S. Also, if you are in school or planning to attend school, be sure and check out what the school has. I'm guessing that equipment like fluid head tripods, dollies, etc. may already be available for student use.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 11:52:01 PM »
for some reason lenses bodies etc go for insanely high prices on ebay USED I often see them go for not alot less than you can get them brand new from hong kong. It's wierd I dont know where all these lunatic buyers are but there seems to be an endless supply of them

unfocused is right accessories etc it's briliant, stands umbrellas softboxes etc
APS-H Fanboy

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 02:32:19 AM »
and probably grab a nifty 50 f1.8 for shallow DoF and very low light, I would not worry about a filter for the 50 since the lens is only like 100 bucks

Whatever basic zoom you get, the 50/1.8 as an addition is good for learning, because you only know what "thin depth of field" means if you've shot with it. It's not stellar but still a bargain because it's so inexpensive esp. when skipping the protection filter. But do get a lens hood for protection (and anti-flare) - when focusing the lens extends, and because of the crappy plastic build quality it'll break if it hits anything except for a soft cushion.

And skip the polarizer first too, it's an effect filter used for eliminating reflections on glass & water, and only determine how often you'll use it. If you really want one, get a good one for the max. filter size you'll use (maybe 77 or 82mm), but that doesn't come cheap.

kdsand

• EOS M2
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 04:02:16 AM »
Basic cleaning supplies like lens pen, tissues/paper, blower.
An inexpensive 5 in one reflector.
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

J

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 04:33:48 AM »
Remote Control RC-6 or generic equivalent. For the times you actually want to be in the picture too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 04:33:48 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 06:38:51 AM »
Remote Control RC-6 or generic equivalent. For the times you actually want to be in the picture too.

+10

Best $20 I ever spent.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

TRIPL3try

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 06:41:05 AM »
And skip the polarizer first too, it's an effect filter used for eliminating reflections on glass & water, and only determine how often you'll use it. If you really want one, get a good one for the max. filter size you'll use (maybe 77 or 82mm), but that doesn't come cheap.

Should I get a UV filter to protect the lens, though?  I agree that a polarizer doesn't seem paramount at the start, but it sounds like something I'll end up getting eventually.

Basic cleaning supplies like lens pen, tissues/paper, blower.
An inexpensive 5 in one reflector.

I was thinking about this, too...anyone know any good LCD screen protectors, or accessories for the viewfinder?  Also, is a LensCoat worth it?

rcarca

• Rebel SL1
  • Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
    • View Profile
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 08:35:27 AM »
It is exciting starting out, and there is a tendency to want to buy everything you can. In fact that tendency is not restricted to newbies! However, when you are on a limited budget (and very few of us aren't) then I learnt a great lesson back in the dark ages when I was a teenager: only buy something when you have fund a need for it. I cluttered up my bag of equipment with stuff I knew I wanted, but had never had a need for. When you have missed having it - you know the: "if only I had a 300mm lens" moment, or "if only I had a polarizing filter" moment - then you know it is worth investing in that bit of kit. Until then, I would bank the money, but keep it on one side until you really need it for a killer piece of kit.

That is my farthing's worth of advice...

Good luck to you - it is an exciting journey, I should know: I am 48 years into my photographic journey (mine started when I was 5)...  :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 09:46:10 AM by rcarca »
5DMkiii, 7D, loads of glass

mrzero

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 11:30:41 AM »
A couple points.  A lot of the advice you got upthread here is geared towards photography, and I noticed that you said you're going to school for video production.  I'm an amateur photographer and former news videographer, so I thought I could help a bit.

I think the Rebel T4i w/ 18-135 STM is a great choice for video production, and it's probably what I would have chosen when I was in college if there was such a thing.  Although the 50/1.8 is a great lens for photography, if I was you, I would get the 40mm/2.8 STM that was just announced instead.  It's only $200.  If you can't afford it now, wait on the second lens and get it later.  I think the STM will be much better for your video usage, and you will not miss the extra 10mm or the extra stop of light.  Although thin depth of field is great, it is difficult to shoot at and keep focus, especially if you are talking about video.

Preorder those now, because they won't ship right away.  I wouldn't bother ordering anything else until you know that stuff is coming.  You might decide to cancel your T4i and go for something else before it ships.  Order from someplace like B&H or Adorama.  I think they get more stock of the new stuff and they deal with it better than Amazon (at least in my experience).

Get a clear or UV filter sized for both of your lenses to protect the front lens element.  Worry about effects filters and step up rings later.

Next, check out what kind of gear is available from your school.  Fluid-head tripods, microphones, mixing boards, lighting, etc.  Only buy what you can't borrow.  However, depending on what kind of video production you are doing (documentary/ENG, music videos, short films, etc) I would consider buying an external mic for audio because the on-board mics will not be stellar.

Also, make sure to figure out how you are going to edit your video.  The nonlinear editing at my school was so far behind that I had to edit my own video on my own PC, which is tough because there is no tech support and no forgiveness if you blow a project deadline because you chose to use your own gear.  Make sure their system can handle the files/formats and that you can get them into their system.

Beyond that, check into some more video-oriented sites like http://blog.planet5d.com and http://www.eoshd.com/.
Canon 6d, t1i, 20/2.8, 28/1.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.8II, 100/2.8 macro, 70-300/4-5.6, g1x, 430exII, 90ex
Elan 7N with 28-105/3.5-4.5II, Rebel G with 35-70/3.5-4.5, A-1 with 28/2.8, 50/1.8, and 135/3.5

Wilmark

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
For tripods i would go with Ravelli, sold on amazon. Great value at half the price of Manfrotto. Especially if you are on a budget. They sell tripods with good fluid heads too. I would go with the 18-135 STM kit instead of the other advice.  Also on the 50mm consider the 1.4. The 1.4 is considered the best value in canon's 50 mm l ine. A 50 mil is a very important lens and the lower aperture is good for video. The 1.8 is very very cheap build, and is clumsy to use for video, you may outgrow this lens very quickly and will have to dump it eventually. Lowerpro bags are pretty good. You shouldnt be too quick to go out and buy too many lenses, as your interest develop let that be the deciding factor on your choices.

gary

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 12:46:02 PM »
Everyone here has given great advice on equipment so I can only recommend a good book for stills. I have found books by Tom ANG really useful and very easy to read.
5D Mkiii -  16-35L mkii, 24-70L mkii, 70-200L IS mkii, 85 1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 12:46:02 PM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 01:02:34 PM »
spend more in the lens than the body and spend more on training than the lens....

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
1. Canon Rebel Body - Your Choice.

2. 18-135mm II STM

3. 50mm 1.8

4. 28mm 1.8

That should cover 90% of all photography needs.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »