December 18, 2014, 09:17:26 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Manual Posted  (Read 17830 times)

hollybush

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Manual Posted
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 05:35:07 AM »
The Ec-S isn't supported (p. 327). You can fit it, but it won't meter properly.

So its omission from the "Technical Report"

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=3078.msg65361#msg65361

wasn't a mistake.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 05:35:07 AM »

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 07:29:40 AM »
+ 1 Many thanks for the manual. Now I can read it before my new camera finally arrives.  ;D This negates the effect that I would rather be shooting with the camera than reading the manual once I have finally got it.

Also typical me.
Haha  ;D

I did the same thing with my 5D3, read the manual the week before I got the camera.

Am I missing something or are Exposure Compensation and Automatic Exposure Bracketing also disabled on the 1Dx in "M" mode with auto ISO? That's how it works on the 5D3 and it's really annoying.

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 08:24:59 AM »
GREAT! 3 months of reading... ::)
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 08:37:24 AM »
I am on page 47 or 420 and have just learned how to turn it on and off. Should make ideal bed-time reading, I just hope there is an unexpected twist at the end of this book. ;-)
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

jmac1

• Power Shot G7X
  • I would rather have an old car and Fast Lenses!
    • View Profile
    • MacLean Photography
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 09:48:21 AM »
I think I finally figured it out the 'X' stood for the number of months that it would take to become available (Oct-August).

Then again when I got contacted to verify my CPS number for my pre-order my response should have been"Olympics... yeah, yeah, I'm going to the Olympics... sure. Yeah right I need it for the Olympics!"
1DX(pre-order) | 5DII | 40D |14L II | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100L IS | 400 2.8L IS |17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 1.4x | 2.0x |

SuperCrazySamurai

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »
I think I finally figured it out the 'X' stood for the number of months that it would take to become available (Oct-August).

Then again when I got contacted to verify my CPS number for my pre-order my response should have been"Olympics... yeah, yeah, I'm going to the Olympics... sure. Yeah right I need it for the Olympics!"

HAHAHA!  I should of said that too...OMW to London!

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »
Looking at page 393, it looks like the 1Dx is going to use the same codec as the 5d3(same data-rate), so I doubt their will be any improvement in the video.  That's absurd for the amount of horsepower this thing has. Totally nerfed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »

messus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
Looking at page 393, it looks like the 1Dx is going to use the same codec as the 5d3(same data-rate), so I doubt their will be any improvement in the video.  That's absurd for the amount of horsepower this thing has. Totally nerfed.

Agreed! Let's just hope the guys at Magic Lantern get things going fast on the 1DX. (1080p/60, 4K video, clean HDMI out)

Still kinda an expensive camera to buy to rely on and wait for Magic Lantern (or others) to enable higher video bitrate, and clean HDMI out!

Canon need to understand it does not help if they cripple the 1DX for features to prevent canibalizing their video department, as long as the competition gives us the features (Nikon=clean HDMI out) there is always a risk of some users jumping ship.

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
This has been a serious disaster for Canon..PR I mean. I am can CPS member and I am so locked in with tons of Canon lens. Even then I am seriously thinking of switching. I browsed today for D4 ..but couldn't find that one either.

Hold on man! I am feeling the same way but wouldn't jump ship!  :o
Just a few more weeks for total camera bliss!
Can't wait!
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

messus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »
Page.120.

The one thing that dissapoints me with the 1DX is the buffer size and the number of RAW frames possible to store during a high burst.
The 35 frames takes only 3seconds, 3 !!!!! to fill the buffer..

Anyway, there seem to be something strange going on, since shooting m-RAW mode actually decreases the number of possible burts
 shots to 26, while shooting s-RAW mode increases the number to 39. I understand it takes some computing time to resize the RAW, but this will also happen while downsizine to s-RAW. Hence it is strange that the number of frames possible during m-RAW is "only" 26,
which is a ridicilously small number which you will reach within 1.5sec !!  Why could not Canon install a 3 x bigger buffer when the rest
of the camera is built for speed?? (shutter/cpu).  The D4 can shoot up to 3 times more frames than the 1DX.

I have tested the 1DX with the fastest memory card currently available on the planet (Lexar 128G 1000x Pro UDMA7 150/150MBps),
and the buffer was still full after 35frames continious shooting.

Too bad Canon!! :(
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:56:48 AM by messus »

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »
Excuse my ignorance but can someone explain in plain english why the camera can't focus at F8.0?
I have a 24-70 2.8L and use F8 all the time... I find it to be the best, sharpest and most natural F-stop for studio work...
Please someone tell me if that is going to affect me or not.  :-\

Cheers

Pat
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

sparda79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tingkap Vistaku
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »
Excuse my ignorance but can someone explain in plain english why the camera can't focus at F8.0?
I have a 24-70 2.8L and use F8 all the time... I find it to be the best, sharpest and most natural F-stop for studio work...
Please someone tell me if that is going to affect me or not.  :-\

Cheers

Pat

It's not that you can't focus at f/8. It means that you can auto-focus using any lens that has widest aperture more than f/5.6.
E.g. when you use the EF 400 f/5.6L + 2.0x extender, your widest aperture will be f/8, therefore, you'll lose the auto-focus ability.
My 5D Mark III & 50L was recently stolen. So now I'm a man without a Canon Camera.

24-105L  | 100L | 70-200L II | 2x III | RX100M3

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 12:31:11 PM »

Agreed! Let's just hope the guys at Magic Lantern get things going fast on the 1DX. (1080p/60, 4K video, clean HDMI out)

Still kinda an expensive camera to buy to rely on and wait for Magic Lantern (or others) to enable higher video bitrate, and clean HDMI out!

Canon need to understand it does not help if they cripple the 1DX for features to prevent canibalizing their video department, as long as the competition gives us the features (Nikon=clean HDMI out) there is always a risk of some users jumping ship.

Probably not going to happen for Magic Lantern. They tried to get it working for the 7d which has dual Digic processors which was a problem for them. They have it booted on the 5d3, although it's so far from even having an Alpha release it'll probably be a year unless they can get someone devoted full time to develop on it. If they can eventually figure out multiple Digic cameras, then it may be possible to come to the 1DX, but it probably won't happen.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 12:31:11 PM »

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 01:02:24 PM »
Page.120.

The one thing that dissapoints me with the 1DX is the buffer size and the number of RAW frames possible to store during a high burst.
The 35 frames takes only 3seconds, 3 !!!!! to fill the buffer..

Anyway, there seem to be something strange going on, since shooting m-RAW mode actually decreases the number of possible burts
 shots to 26, while shooting s-RAW mode increases the number to 39. I understand it takes some computing time to resize the RAW, but this will also happen while downsizine to s-RAW. Hence it is strange that the number of frames possible during m-RAW is "only" 26,
which is a ridicilously small number which you will reach within 1.5sec !!  Why could not Canon install a 3 x bigger buffer when the rest
of the camera is built for speed?? (shutter/cpu).  The D4 can shoot up to 3 times more frames than the 1DX.

I have tested the 1DX with the fastest memory card currently available on the planet (Lexar 128G 1000x Pro UDMA7 150/150MBps),
and the buffer was still full after 35frames continious shooting.

Too bad Canon!! :(

That seems to conflict with this report:

http://www.ronmartblog.com/2011/10/hands-on-canon-eos-1d-x-lots-of-photos.html

When I read about the 12fps performance of this camera I was excited – especially given the larger image size – but I was also worried as my 10fps performance of the 1D Mark III & IV has always been significantly limited by its puny buffer. In my early testing with what I was told was a slow CF card, I was able to get 52 full-size RAW frames in burst mode before the buffer started to stutter. That’s up from 30 in the 1D Mark IV, so that’s promising given the significantly larger file sizes. However, I would have really loved to have seen that number closer to 100 for RAW. RAM is pretty cheap, so I’m always frustrated there isn’t a way to add RAM or do something to overcome this limitation. With that gripe aside, the 52 RAW frames is going to be usable enough in most practical scenarios so this is a welcome relief. This also means that sRAW or JPEG only shooters will find themselves with an endless supply of buffer for sports shooting.

messus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 01:15:07 PM »

Probably not going to happen for Magic Lantern. They tried to get it working for the 7d which has dual Digic processors which was a problem for them. They have it booted on the 5d3, although it's so far from even having an Alpha release it'll probably be a year unless they can get someone devoted full time to develop on it. If they can eventually figure out multiple Digic cameras, then it may be possible to come to the 1DX, but it probably won't happen.

You are probably right. And the more I think about it, I am considering canceling my 1DX preorder since it IMO is simply not worth it given too few extra benefits compared to the 5D3. (weather sealing put aside). No noticable improvement in high ISO performance, DR or picture quality from what I can see from my own testing. And, in particular due to the dissapointingly low buffer of the 1DX you will in many cases not be fully able to utilize the shutter speed improvements on the 1DX over the 5D3.

And if Canon think I am gonna ruin myself with 15000 dollars to get clean HDMI out from the 1D C, they have to think twice. I know of other ways of getting what I want, even if it is drastic and expensive, it may still be cheaper than spending 15000 on the 1D C.

Hey let's hope ML at least get's things going for clean HDMI out on the 5D3, and maybe even short bursts of 4K video.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 01:15:07 PM »