July 23, 2014, 10:43:33 AM

Author Topic: Ergonomics... Why you pay more for a 1D...  (Read 15072 times)

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Ergonomics... Why you pay more for a 1D...
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2012, 11:55:31 AM »
I think saying the 1DX is worth £3000 more because the ergonomics are better is a bit strong.

You get a lot more with the 1DX in terms of features and the camera is designed for a different situation. You also get used to what you shoot too and in your case stepping from a pro camera to a 5D which is also a pro camera but on the higher scale of pro-sumer rather than pro of corse it will be different. The 1D is also designed specifically with the grip whereas the 5D isnt therfore there is only a finite amount of space on the back with the expectation of huge screens and the grip is an extra which makes things easier, but not fully integrated which makes the ergonomics harder to achieve.

But as it is a pro-sumer camera the size is important the 1D is too heavy and bulky to carry around for the more consumer side of the scale and thats whats nice about the 5D is its smaller size factor.

Its like chalk and cheese. Also depends on what your used to and how big your hands are. Kind of a silly argument really. The 5D is best of both worlds and for 99% of people not worth 50% extra, even for a lot of pros.

Yes but you have to remember, most of the people who bash the 5D Mark II and 5D Mark III don't own and have never owned them.  Also, the people who praise and glorify the 1D X also don't own it.  Amazing.

Lol why is that?  Why are 1 series owners (and soon to be 1DX owners) complaining about the 5 series?  It's not like Canon came out with a new 1 series and changed the button layout, then I could see people having valid complaints.  ::)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2012, 11:55:31 AM »

epsiloneri

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »
Different hand sizes are a major point with camera bodies. My hands are very much on the large end of the scale (nearly 10-1/2 inch span) so my 7D feels tiny, even the 1 series is not very large for me - so it will clearly be that what fits me wont fit others. Same applies to weight of camera + lens.

Aha, that explains why you claim the 400/2.8 to be handholdable to you :)

briansquibb

« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »
Different hand sizes are a major point with camera bodies. My hands are very much on the large end of the scale (nearly 10-1/2 inch span) so my 7D feels tiny, even the 1 series is not very large for me - so it will clearly be that what fits me wont fit others. Same applies to weight of camera + lens.

Aha, that explains why you claim the 400/2.8 to be handholdable to you :)

Not a claim - a fact. But yes to me, even though as a pensioner I am a lot weaker than I used to be  :( :(

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »
Different hand sizes are a major point with camera bodies. My hands are very much on the large end of the scale (nearly 10-1/2 inch span)

Brian I hope you play the piano! It would be a pity for that effortless two octave reach to go to waste!

PW

briansquibb

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2012, 02:25:11 AM »
Different hand sizes are a major point with camera bodies. My hands are very much on the large end of the scale (nearly 10-1/2 inch span)

Brian I hope you play the piano! It would be a pity for that effortless two octave reach to go to waste!

PW

Yes I did try the piano but it is difficult when your fingers are big as well. So I did the next best thing -played rugby :)

Being large is an issue which you have to get used to, an asset and a handicap at the same time - particularly with cameras as they come in one size fits all. Designing must be a nightmare - especially when the trend is getting everything small.

To me the G12 is a good P&S whereas to others it is a brick. Canon (and other manufacturers) cannot please all because people are just different. When it comes to ergonomics it is a compromise when working out how far apart buttons should be

I am dreading the day when touch screens are the norm

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »

PW

Yes I did try the piano but it is difficult when your fingers are big as well. So I did the next best thing -played rugby :)

Being large is an issue which you have to get used to, an asset and a handicap at the same time - particularly with cameras as they come in one size fits all. Designing must be a nightmare - especially when the trend is getting everything small.

To me the G12 is a good P&S whereas to others it is a brick. Canon (and other manufacturers) cannot please all because people are just different. When it comes to ergonomics it is a compromise when working out how far apart buttons should be

I am dreading the day when touch screens are the norm

Maybe by then we'll have holographic displays.   ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:39:12 AM by Razor2012 »
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2012, 04:26:23 PM »

Where I come from, playing rugby is considered far more important than playing the piano. :)
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2012, 04:26:23 PM »

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »

Where I come from, playing rugby is considered far more important than playing the piano. :)

Where I come from, having the wife play the organ...errr, I mean piano is priority one.  ;D ;)

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »

Where I come from, having the wife play the organ...errr, I mean piano is priority one.  ;D ;)

Ah, piano, meaning soft.

Left yourself open there, had to take it ...

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2012, 12:09:47 AM »
1D cameras are more high speed, low drag but not so much when you lug em around all day. You'll be high drag, low speed. ;D

briansquibb

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2012, 01:20:04 AM »
1D cameras are more high speed, low drag but not so much when you lug em around all day. You'll be high drag, low speed. ;D

I take the 1D4 and 1Ds3 around all day on a BW harness all day

Today I have an outdoor modelling session this morning where I will be using the 1Ds3 and 200/f2. Probably do some landscaping after that is the weather holds up.

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2012, 05:12:17 AM »

200/f2.

I want!!!!

briansquibb

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2012, 10:29:58 AM »

200/f2.

I want!!!!

From this morning - 1ds3, 200 @f/2.8, iso800, 1/800. With flash on PW. No pp except a little sharpening

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:33:19 AM by briansquibb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2012, 10:29:58 AM »