April 25, 2018, 06:55:27 PM

Author Topic: EOS-1D X now or wait for 1D neXt?  (Read 4216 times)

Steve Todd

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
EOS-1D X now or wait for 1D neXt?
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
Is anyone else sitting on fence over the decision to buy the 1D X right now (when available) or wait to see what is coming next?  After using my pair of 1D Mk IV bodies for over two-years now, I am debating about the benefits of selling one of them and buying a 1D X.  As the 1D4's have met all of my needs; auto racing, landscape, travel, existing light, in other words, just about everything, I am hesitant to make the purchase of a 1D X right now.  On the surface, it looks like the 1D X would be a great addition to my bag of tricks...it's just that the 1D4 meets all my current needs and the jury seems to still be out on the yet to be available 1D X.  So, maybe it would be better to just wait a little while and see what Canon does next as there seems to be a lot of discussion of just that ?  The good news in all of this, is that it has been easy to find prospective buyers for the 1D4, as there is quite the demand for them right now!  Makes you wonder why/if Canon is discontinuing the model?
EOS-1D X Mk II, EOS-1D X, 1D4, 5D2, 5D, EOS-1V, 1n, and a bunch of lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

EOS-1D X now or wait for 1D neXt?
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »

danski0224

• EOS 5DS R
Re: EOS-1D X now or wait for 1D neXt?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »
I have my name on the waiting list for the 1DX II...

;)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 01:53:32 PM »
Is anyone else sitting on fence over the decision to buy the 1D X right now (when available) or wait to see what is coming next?  After using my pair of 1D Mk IV bodies for over two-years now, I am debating about the benefits of selling one of them and buying a 1D X.  As the 1D4's have met all of my needs; auto racing, landscape, travel, existing light, in other words, just about everything, I am hesitant to make the purchase of a 1D X right now.  On the surface, it looks like the 1D X would be a great addition to my bag of tricks...it's just that the 1D4 meets all my current needs and the jury seems to still be out on the yet to be available 1D X.  So, maybe it would be better to just wait a little while and see what Canon does next as there seems to be a lot of discussion of just that ?  The good news in all of this, is that it has been easy to find prospective buyers for the 1D4, as there is quite the demand for them right now!  Makes you wonder why/if Canon is discontinuing the model?

Steve, I use a 1D Mark IV too.  For me, I got that and a lens vs. the 1D X.  That combo is doing everything I need right now.  There are complaints of the AF tracking on the 1D4 but I haven't noticed anything yet.  If your two 1D4's are doing everything you need and you're not missing a lot of shots, not really a reason to upgrade.  2 more mp's will not matter.  However, if you need ultra-fast fps in very low light without the luxury of missing shots, then the 1D X at least LOOKS like it could handle that extra.  You could probably sell a used 1D4 right now for $3500-$4000, so on the other hand the 1D X would only cost you maybe $2700.  I'm sure it will be a better camera but if you don't need the added features, don't waste your money.  Use that $6700 saved up on a few lenses.
2 x 1DX
B1G, MAC, GLIAC

briansquibb

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »
I wonder if the 1DX will have the same issue with the flash being incompatible with third party triggers (PW,Odins, Pixels Kings etc) as is the 5DIII

wickidwombat

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »
I wonder if the 1DX will have the same issue with the flash being incompatible with third party triggers (PW,Odins, Pixels Kings etc) as is the 5DIII

eh? odins be working fine on the mk3 me matey :D
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 02:02:14 AM »

eh? odins be working fine on the mk3 me matey :D

Oh OK - saw a post on another forum saying that HSS was an issue. Certainly is with PW and Pixel Kings as we tried them on my friends 5DIII.

wickidwombat

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 02:10:37 AM »
no problem with HSS on mine all the way up to 1/8000 sec even with studio monolights
only issue i had was at 1/250th sec mixing 580s and studio lights they went out of sync
1/200th no problem and 1/320th no problem I figured it was just after that transition from
xsync to however they do HSS
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 02:10:37 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 02:19:47 AM »
no problem with HSS on mine all the way up to 1/8000 sec even with studio monolights
only issue i had was at 1/250th sec mixing 580s and studio lights they went out of sync
1/200th no problem and 1/320th no problem I figured it was just after that transition from

This issue is stopping me buy a 5DIII for theatre work (for the silent shutter). In the theatre it would be high ISO no flash, but otherwise I use a lot of flash in bright light ie 1/2000, iso 50, f/2 - f/4 (outdoors). It would irk me to replace the PW (Odins are not around in the UK) - I have 8 flexes.

wickidwombat

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 02:40:10 AM »

This issue is stopping me buy a 5DIII for theatre work (for the silent shutter). In the theatre it would be high ISO no flash, but otherwise I use a lot of flash in bright light ie 1/2000, iso 50, f/2 - f/4 (outdoors). It would irk me to replace the PW (Odins are not around in the UK) - I have 8 flexes.

yeah its not cheap I think my odins have cost about $1300 2 transmitters and 5 recievers i still need another reciever since i've got 6 580 exII s now

oh did i tell you about the nifty trick i discovered for lighting up a background using 2 flashes and only 1 reciever?
just s 3.5mm stereo jack splitter, set the background lights on manual and use the pc sysnc cables to each flash
I'm thinking of grabbing a couple of the cheapo yongnuo flashes and a stratto reciever to be setup just for lighting backgrounds then i have all the other 580s available for smart ettl work.

I just have to check that the strato IIs can actually recieve ok from the odins even if i have to get another odin reciever its still a very cheap way of dumb lighting for backgrounds
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 02:49:01 AM »

yeah its not cheap I think my odins have cost about $1300 2 transmitters and 5 recievers i still need another reciever since i've got 6 580 exII s now

oh did i tell you about the nifty trick i discovered for lighting up a background using 2 flashes and only 1 reciever?
just s 3.5mm stereo jack splitter, set the background lights on manual and use the pc sysnc cables to each flash
I'm thinking of grabbing a couple of the cheapo yongnuo flashes and a stratto reciever to be setup just for lighting backgrounds then i have all the other 580s available for smart ettl work.

I just have to check that the strato IIs can actually recieve ok from the odins even if i have to get another odin reciever its still a very cheap way of dumb lighting for backgrounds

The Nissin 622 is an optical slave so I have one of those - just fires when there is another flash.

wickidwombat

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 02:54:58 AM »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yongnuo-YN-560-II-YN560II-Flash-Speedlite-w-LCD-Canon-580EX-II-600D-7D-5D-/150764025256?pt=AU_Flashes&hash=item231a3c75a8

but these are dirt cheap, tons of power,
the nissins kill them though
also the reason is I usually try and hide the background flashes so they dont get too much light wrap on the subject
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 03:03:48 AM »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yongnuo-YN-560-II-YN560II-Flash-Speedlite-w-LCD-Canon-580EX-II-600D-7D-5D-/150764025256?pt=AU_Flashes&hash=item231a3c75a8

but these are dirt cheap, tons of power,
the nissins kill them though
also the reason is I usually try and hide the background flashes so they dont get too much light wrap on the subject

With my outdoor portraits I try to get it like the sun is from a rear quarter shining through wisps of hair.

The Nissin is a left over from my film days when I used it on shoe

FunPhotons

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 06:58:36 AM »
I'm waiting. I'd like to upgrade to a 1 series body (because I can afford it, not because I need it), but the 1DX doesn't do it for me. I don't need to take enough frames per second to be able to make a movie of it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 06:58:36 AM »