September 30, 2014, 04:42:29 PM

Author Topic: 60D owners...help, i need reassurance before i pull the trigger  (Read 12470 times)

kriptikracing

Please, post your opinion and/or pictures with your 60D.  Especially if its portraits, action shots, or macro.  I'm gonna buy a 60D with the 18-200 lens before the end of June since that's when the rebates stop.  My newborn son is growing fast and I'm missing a lot of memories from a slow p&s.  I really just need reassurance that even if the 60D is 2 years old its still capable of awesome shots!  I really can't afford to wait for a 70D nor afford the price.  I'm just assuming a 70D is coming out and based on the rise in price of the new rebel.  Please help me out! 

canon rumors FORUM

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: 60D owners...help, i need reassurance before i pull the trigger
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:55:06 AM »
Especially if its portraits, action shots, or macro

Everything is fine with the 60d, except for action shots - the autofocus system isn't up to it if you use af tracking, get a 7d for a more current af system for not so much money more than it used to be. I'd get the 60d because it runs magic lantern, any for you coming from a p&s the 60d body is adequate for the not-so-stellar lens and since you'll have some learning to do using a dslr.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:09:48 AM »
Please, post your opinion and/or pictures with your 60D.  Especially if its portraits, action shots, or macro.  I'm gonna buy a 60D with the 18-200 lens before the end of June since that's when the rebates stop.  My newborn son is growing fast and I'm missing a lot of memories from a slow p&s.  I really just need reassurance that even if the 60D is 2 years old its still capable of awesome shots!  I really can't afford to wait for a 70D nor afford the price.  I'm just assuming a 70D is coming out and based on the rise in price of the new rebel.  Please help me out!

I had asked for advise earlier and the 18-200 was one of my chosen lenses. I got some good advice. The thread is at
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=4594.msg92804#msg92804

Eventually I ended up getting the 5D3 with the kit lens and I am happy as the 7Dii is nowhere in sight.

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:29:00 AM »
I'm a 60 owner for just over a year now and love it. I don't do much action shooting with the subject running towards me, but i do do some dance and people shots see here:  http://www.ephotozine.com/user/jackalltog-97593

Personally i think its great and will be big step up from where you are, but you will have to learn how to use a SLR to get the best out of it.
Also note that a big bulky SLR can really get in the way on family outings and may mean you actually get less shots.  Recent point and shoot camera's are also very good options for discrete or family shots.

Stuart
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

able 1039

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 04:41:51 AM »

I love my 60D! If you get it, I highly recommend also getting a 50mm canon F1.8 lens ($99). I heard of it being referred to as a "portrait lens" and that sounds about right.

Here's a portrait I did with the lens and 60D (hope my links work)

Here's a video with the lens and 60D
Lazy Sunday

If you are concerned about the burst performance (5.3 shots per second) for sports, here's a sequence that may give you an idea how fast it shoots. (shot with rokinon 8mm lens)

and finally, here's a video so you can actually hear the 5.3 shots a second speed of the 60D
Burst Mode Test Canon EOS 60D 5.3 FPS

kriptikracing

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 06:42:16 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone!  I used to own an xsi but had to sell it.  I still consider myself a newbie to dslr's though.  Was contemplating the t4i but after a bit of research on the net and then playing with the 60d at best buy...the 60d just felt better compared to the rebels.  That 50mm f1.8 lens is nice...I like it and will order it also.  What other lens should I pick up?  Was gonna get the kit with the 18-200mm lens but not anymore.  Seems like the 18-135mm is a better choice so I might go with that.  Or I'll just pick up the body only and get whatever lens you all recommend.  I have about $1500 to start off with. 

bkorcel

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 08:22:39 AM »
I own a 60D.  Used it extensively for shooting soccer games and wildlife such as eagles and herons.  I would still be using it but had a need for full frame and some advancement on the AF front.  Now my 5DIII is the primary and 60D is a backup.

Nothing wrong with the 60D for it's price point.  Unless you have a need for advanced features it should be fine.  If you dont know if you need the advanced features then you dont need them yet.  ;)

I eventually did trade in my 18-200 for a 70-200 F2.8L which was 1000X sharper than the kit lens but also more expensive.  After your 60D you should consider a lens upgrade. A good lens will make any camera look like it's a pro model.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 08:22:39 AM »

Jotho

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »

Hi, I can't post any pics as I'm currently traveling, but I would like to encourage you to go for the 60D. I've had mine for almost two years, upgraded from 400D. I am about to sell the 60D as I have now upgraded to 5D3. I guess that's what the 60D does to you, it makes photography fun and exiting and makes you want to learn more. I have used it with several lenses, 18-200 Sigma, 15-85 and since a year L-lenses. It's a perfect match with the 15-85.  Shoots great video also so you can catch your son. I've shot some golf stuff with it for youtube fun.

Go for it, you will be very happy.

able 1039

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 01:16:46 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone!  I used to own an xsi but had to sell it.  I still consider myself a newbie to dslr's though.  Was contemplating the t4i but after a bit of research on the net and then playing with the 60d at best buy...the 60d just felt better compared to the rebels.  That 50mm f1.8 lens is nice...I like it and will order it also.  What other lens should I pick up?  Was gonna get the kit with the 18-200mm lens but not anymore.  Seems like the 18-135mm is a better choice so I might go with that.  Or I'll just pick up the body only and get whatever lens you all recommend.  I have about $1500 to start off with.
Right on! I'm glad you are considering my recommendation! The Canon 50mm f1.8 is a beautiful and cheap lens but FYI: you need a lot of room to back up and get the shot. That's why I've still got my 18-135mm kit. It's nice to be able zoom back to 18mm for when you are shooting in small rooms or crowded areas. However, I must say the 50mm F1.8 makes people at ease when you are shooting portraits. People won't realize how close up the shot is even though you are standing 10-15 feet away! It tends to make people more comfortable when you're not shooting up close.

If you are looking for a long zoom lens the 70mm-200mm and the 70-300mm zoom lenses are great for shooting sporting events. Be sure to get one with at LEAST an auto focus and at BEST an Image Stabilizer too. (However, most people on here will probably say that an Image Stabilizer is absolutely necessary.) Keep in mind that if the 50mm f 1.8 means you gotta stand 10 feet away to take a portrait, a 70-300mm means you gotta stand at least 15-25 feet.

Here's the site I check first before I make any major purchases...
 www.dealnews.com   

Type in whatever you are looking for into the search box. If you don't see anything listed, check mark the "show expired deals" box and it will show you how often the thing you are looking for goes on sale, and how much you can save if you wait for the next deal. Happy shopping!

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »
This spring I spent three days in San Francisco in GG Park and I love my 60D with the 18-200.  I do have the 18-135 lens and the lens creep is so bad that I won't use it.  The don't like my copy of the 135 as far as IQ either.  My copy of the 18-200 is just great.  It is my favorite combination.  I think the 60D Kit with the 18-200 is really the best value in the entire Canon line.  I recomend this combination to anyone who just want a fun combination.  The articulated screen if a wonderful feature with the sunken in base in the camera.  A real screen protector when you face the lcd toward the camera.  I use a Sun Sniper strap to complete this outfit and even find that Auto ISO works with the 18-200 in the dark of the de Young museum using IS handheld (no flash of course).

I hope you enjoy it.
Bruce

LSV

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
I'm an absolute DSLR beginner and I highly recommend the 60D. I'd bought the 60D a month ago from Adorama at a great price thanks to the link provided by CanonRumors. I also got the Canon zoom lens 100-400mm for birds shots...some samples here: https://picasaweb.google.com/102416362590573303444/2012_06_12?authkey=Gv1sRgCMXopv2sho-EPA

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »
My suggestion, go to the Canon Loyalty program. A refurbished 60D body is $640+tax...and they also let you take 20% off one of their refurb lenses (except L glass). You could use that on one of the 50mm lenses (f/1.8 or f/1.4), or the 100mm Macro if you'd want that. The 18-135 can be had for $250ish on Ebay or Craigslist, usually a decent amount of people selling them out of their kit. You could probably get the 60D, 18-135, 50 f/1,8 and the macro all for your $1500 price point.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »

The 60D is fast enough AF and FPS and it has a lot of really nice features.  No hesitation on recommending it.

The 15-85mm is nice and sharp and fast to focus . . . if I had only one lens to choose on that body, that would be it (my first setup actually), for the second, I'd recommend the 50mm 1.4

50mm is my favorite focal length on a crop body for children that you're around (close enough to supervise them)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »

Orion

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »
Why not just get the new T4i????

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 02:31:35 PM »
Why not just get the new T4i????
Cause you can get the 60D cheaper, and because part of taking pictures is holding the camera. If you've held a Rebel and the 60D, you'll feel a huge difference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 02:31:35 PM »