September 23, 2014, 02:30:17 PM

Author Topic: Is it too early for the first "The Canon 1DX sucks" posting?  (Read 22279 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Is it too early for the first "The Canon 1DX sucks" posting?
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »
Yes, it is too early. Maybe after the low ISO results are in though.  ;D

But for now, hah, all we have are tentative high ISO results and these look to be ground-breaking:

For high ISO it appears quite possible that it will be the best in the history of DSLRs.
Shockingly it may do ISO4000 as the 5D2 does ISO1600  :o and the 5D3 does ISO2500!  :o
(and yes that is RAW not talking jpg NR nonsense!)

(ah imagine had they put this new tech in the 5D3 and we had that ground-breaking high iso and then imagine if it at least matches D4 for low ISO.... all the whining about D800 may have been reduced by 80%, but Canon marketing decided they could milk the old line once more in the 5D3....)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2012, 10:43:51 PM »
i'm pretty happy with the 5Dmk3 up to 12800 that means the 1Dx will be pretty solid in performance at iso 20,000!

nuts  ;D
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2012, 02:37:30 AM »
The 1Ds3 debuted at $8,000 in the U.S., compared to $6,800 for the 1Dx. I suppose this means that people are running down the street screaming about what a great deal the 1Dx is ;D

On the flip side, the 1Dx seems more like a 1D4 replacement to me, which costs $5,000, so the complainers still have something to complain about ;D

Ah yes - I was comparing street prices, sorry about the confusion

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2012, 10:11:41 AM »
I was just wondering who would be the first...why not me? Here is a warm up for the inner masochist in you...

It is really too late in coming out so I am going to Nikon again.
I have dust in my sensor. Should I return it or cry now?
It is too expensive and I won't stand for it. (Expected response A: It is cheaper than the last one when converted to Yen in 1995 when adjusted for inflation and the price of rice in Taiwan)
HELP! I don't like the wedding pictures I just took with it. Any ideas? Am I in the right career?
There is banding in ISO over 25,600 and my shoes are too tight when I shoot with it.
I don't understand and don't like the auto focus system whatever it is.
Why is it less available than the new friggin' Rebel? Does that make it more expensive on purpose?
There a color cast when I look at images from the sofa just over the TV in the evening. The D800 doesn't do that.
I 'm not a pixel peeper but...
Maybe if they made a APS-H sensor version it would be perfect and I could afford one.
I think Canon screwed us again, but what L lens is best for shooting my spawn when they are running in the dark?
Will the auto focus be better than the 7D or at least my 40D? Should I sell my Mark II?
I haven't seen one but I am sure Canon screwed us.
What is the best lens you don't own?
Which is best queue to complain about? Adorama, B&H or Amazon?
I have ten thousand dollars I don't know what to do with. Do you?

ROFL

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 10:46:07 AM »
Ouf, that was difficult...

I have dust in my sensor. Should I return it or cry now?
Cry first, return later!
It is too expensive and I won't stand for it. (Expected response A: It is cheaper than the last one when converted to Yen in 1995 when adjusted for inflation and the price of rice in Taiwan)
So the answer is A!
HELP! I don't like the wedding pictures I just took with it. Any ideas? Am I in the right career?
No, you are not!
There is banding in ISO over 25,600 and my shoes are too tight when I shoot with it.
Return the camera. With the money get a new pair of shoes and a compact camera. Shoot only during the day...
I don't understand and don't like the auto focus system whatever it is.
Then Focus manually!
Why is it less available than the new friggin' Rebel? Does that make it more expensive on purpose?
They are not so good that's why they do not sell much!!!
There a color cast when I look at images from the sofa just over the TV in the evening. The D800 doesn't do that.
Yes but the D800 is not optimized for that special sunglasses you just bought!
I 'm not a pixel peeper but...
Maybe if they made a APS-H sensor version it would be perfect and I could afford one.
Feel free to crop the pictures you take!
I think Canon screwed us again, but what L lens is best for shooting my spawn when they are running in the dark?
EF15-1200mm f/1.0 L DO IS USM STM MACRO  (CR0)
Will the auto focus be better than the 7D or at least my 40D? Should I sell my Mark II?
Yes! At least it will be like that!
I haven't seen one but I am sure Canon screwed us.
Rest assured: They do it even without a 1Dx !!!
What is the best lens you don't own?
EF500m f/4L IS II (see also my answer to the last question!)
Which is best queue to complain about? Adorama, B&H or Amazon?
Mon, Tue, Wed B&H, Thu, Fri Amazon, Sat, Sun Adorama ...
I have ten thousand dollars I don't know what to do with. Do you?
YES, you can give all your money to me with the knowledge that it will be well spent !
(see also the answer to the lens I do not own!)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:47:42 AM by tron »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »
So it doesn't have any option to show the dof below 2,8?

That was one of the reasons I wanted the X and not the 5d3. I guess the 5d3 is giving more and more value for money then, lol.

According to one poster here, who has posted it about a half dozen times. I could find nothing from ANY other source to confirm that. So, until such times as there is some sort of official or reliable confirmation. Look at the title of the site, and consider it an unsubstantiated rumor.

Technically true - the specifications of the EC-CV are not published as yet.  But FYI, the 'V' in EC-CV is a Roman numeral designation following on from previous 1-series bodies (i.e., EC-CIII, EC-CIV were the predecessors, and a new one is needed because the AF area has changed).  The Ec-S screen is 'brighter' than the EC-CIV (which is, in turn, a little brighter than the -A screens for other cameras).  The EC-CIV does not show the true DoF for lenses faster than f/2.8, and therefore it seems very unlikely that the EC-CV will be any different.

But, I've emailed Chuck Westfall for clarification.

...and, here is Mr. Westfall's vacation-delayed response, confirming my previous statements that the stock Ec-C V focusing screen in the 1D X provides no additional DoF accuracy than the stock screens in previous cameras, including the 5DII and 5DIII:

Quote from: Chuck Westfall
The Ec-C V screen depicts depth of field accurately to apertures of approximately f/4 and smaller. It's very similar to the "A" screens on cameras like the 5D Mark II, etc.

In response to an additional question, Mr. Westfall did indicate that it would be possible to add metering support for the Ec-S screen to the 1D X via a firmware update, although of course he acknowledged there is no guarantee that Canon will ever do so.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2012, 06:41:11 AM »
eosHD had some interesting comments

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8299/does-the-canon-1d-x-sharpen-as-well-as-the-5d-mark-iii-plus-bonus-1d-mk-iv-comparison

seems like yet another dslr that dissapoints with the effective resolution of it's 1080p (or so called) output. seems we'll have to wait another generation.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2012, 06:41:11 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »
I'm not being funny, but the EOSHD approach to footage treatment is the polar opposite of mine.

.5px guassian blur all the way.  Get the field order progressive at every stage (in camera (only option), at transcode / capture / interpretation, on timeline & on output) and this solves 99% of aliasing issues I encounter, with no discernable effect on the sharpness of the final image.

As for vimeo not handling ALL-i... that's just nonsense.   If you are a run and gunner shooting for web upload then use the regular codec...  ALL-i is for the folk who want to grade and output at the highest level.  I wouldn't expect vimeo or youtube to use ALL-i.  They have long adopted H264 to keep the quality high per bandwith.  That is absolutely not what ALL-i was intended for.

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2012, 08:35:55 AM »
eosHD had some interesting comments

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8299/does-the-canon-1d-x-sharpen-as-well-as-the-5d-mark-iii-plus-bonus-1d-mk-iv-comparison

seems like yet another dslr that dissapoints with the effective resolution of it's 1080p (or so called) output. seems we'll have to wait another generation.

I really wonder who buys a 1dx for filming !!!
Not me that's for sure.
I use it for stills and that's where it's made for.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »
Not me that's for sure.

I forgot.  It IS all about you.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »
Just reading the words.

"a clean, and usable ISO 25,600"

Is just insane thinking about the film days and pushing 800 b&w film.  :o

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2012, 10:16:44 AM »
Not me that's for sure.

I forgot.  It IS all about you.

You are saying !!
I can't have my opinion ?

paul13walnut5

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2012, 10:38:56 AM »
You can have your opinion, which for context was:

I really wonder who buys a 1dx for filming !!!
Not me that's for sure.
I use it for stills and that's where it's made for.

I really wonder...  Not me that's for sure... stills..thats where it's made for.

I was gently mocking your arrogance.  I've been using Canon EOS cameras since the 1000fn, in a more informed way since my 5 (old A2e).  I've been shooting video professionally for a decade.  I'm delighted that EOS cameras are capable of brilliant video.  That I can use photo lenses that vastly out perform video lenses, and that I have one less thing to carry round with me.

It's great. I'm really really happy about it.

I never use spot metering, PIC modes, A-DEP or FEL.  But I don't grudge them being there for the folk who do.

Photo vs video is rapidly becoming the new film vs digital.  And it's boring.  Your EOS camera still takes great stills.  Have a go at the video, you might just enjoy yourself!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2012, 10:38:56 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2012, 10:54:30 AM »

Photo vs video is rapidly becoming the new film vs digital.  And it's boring.  Your EOS camera still takes great stills.  Have a go at the video, you might just enjoy yourself!

I did think of it - but hit a technological barrier when trying to print a 16x12 of it  ;D ;D ;D

paul13walnut5

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2012, 11:10:42 AM »
Ach, you're standing too close man.  20 ft.  It'll look sharp at 10 feet.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2012, 11:10:42 AM »