October 21, 2014, 12:03:03 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Review  (Read 20831 times)

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Review
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2012, 08:06:10 PM »
I'm waiting for DXO to take a crack at it and dp-review. Those are the statistics based reviews. For actual results I prefer http://diglloyd.com/
well worth the subscription give the sheer amount of comparisons using top of the line zeiss glass.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2012, 08:06:10 PM »

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Quote from: Drizzt321
That, and they can also harness the power of mass production to make much of the AF system for both 5d3 & 1DX cheaper on a per unit cost since they share large parts....

AKA, farm it out to slave labor in China. Brilliant! High end gear at "low" prices for those of us who don't care how we get our discounts.

That's what pretty much everyone else does in the electronics (or most other manufacturing) industry....

Aye, lad. There's the rub.
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2012, 08:47:33 PM »
I've never met anyone with a 1 series that didn't make money with it.

Nice to meet you Philco, I am a hobbyist with several 1 series and I dont make any money from them

You're also someone that has the skill to sell pictures, but takes the very noble route of taking pictures for people that can't afford it for free.  That makes you many shades of awesome in my book.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »

Nice to meet you Philco, I am a hobbyist with several 1 series and I dont make any money from them

Hello from another hobbyist who'll be getting a 1D X (preordered from B&H the first day possible).

Well hello yet again from another hobbyist who is getting the 1DX   :P
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2012, 08:52:25 PM »

You're also someone that has the skill to sell pictures, but takes the very noble route of taking pictures for people that can't afford it for free.  That makes you many shades of awesome in my book.

+1
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2012, 08:56:02 PM »
And he's saying 1 stop improvement in noise for higher ISO. If that's true for raw and not just JPEG then that's quite significant as that advantage. Likely this will at least pair it with the D4 in performance.

This isn't the difference 4MP less makes, this is a new sensor design.

He is saying RAW. It actually looks like a solid 2/3 stop better than 5D3 at high ISO, insane! That has got to beat the D4 and make the 1DX be the best lowlight DSLR in history (and I'm not honestly sure it could be ever beaten, at least not with a standard CMOS sensor + Bayer CFA).

Well, this looks insanely good indeed.  Having the D4 myself currently as my pro body, I must say these sample from the 1DX seem at least as good if not better at high ISO.  Of course we will only know when comparing both camera under same condition.  Cant wait to compare them both first hand!

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2012, 10:06:55 PM »
People complained about the 5D Mark III sensor?  ::)

Yea, it's horrible. It's an incremental improvement over the previous 5d2 sensor. We don't get magical ability to use ISO 5 million that let's us see in the dark with hardly any noise that's easily correctable by LR4. It's hardly usable, don't find it any better than the 5d2 sensor. I mean, I can use images up to ISO 12800 for web size pretty easily. Geesh, it's horrible!

Guys, I don't recall reading any posts where the 5d3 sensor was called "horrible" or even "bad". This includes the madness of dpreview forums.  What there's been a lot of is, disappointment in the lack of improvement vs 5d2, such as banding, etc  This is an important distinction that seems "lost" on Canon fanboys.  "lack of improvement" does not equate to "bad" or "horrible".  The intensity of comments from those objectively pointing out this lack of improvement (in contrast to the D800) increased dramatically as they encountered fanboys unwilling to acknowledge these facts.  Usually the fanboys would mis-characterize the "critical" comments by using hyperbole such as "So you think the sensor sucks, go away troll!" or give the impression the poster had insane expectations such as "magical ability to use ISO 5 million" or that the poster had written the sensor was "horrible".  Ahem.

Another example: Lloyd Chambers said he found himself "bored" in regard to the 5d3 images and Canon fanboys went ballistic saying the "5D3 images are not boring!!".  Well, that's not what Lloyd said.  It was the lack of improvement that led to him having a lack of enthusiasm.  Lack of enthusiasm does not equal "bad" or "horrible".

This, all in contrast to the simple truth that the 5d3 sensor is not a significant improvement over the 5d2 and after waiting 4 (f'ing) years for the update, that's disappointing or as Lloyd put it, "boring".
I agree. I don't think that anyone thinks the 5DIII is a bad camera. But for the price, it better be mind bogglingly good, and I don't think anyone would say that is the case. I would pay 2500 in a heartbeat for the 5DIII, but at over 3000 it is just not going to happen. The 5DIII is actually just what I expected it would be, except I expected Canon to beat Nikon's price by 500 bucks, instead it's the other way around.
So, yes, for 3500 dollars the camera is a bit underwhelming(boring)

So.... How 'bout that 1d X?
It looks pretty sweet. I like those hi ISO flower shots. I just saw the small samples, but the high iso 12000, 25000 shots look damn good. But the samples i opened were small. But yes, for the price, and the delay, the 1DX should be amazing. I think Canon screwed up their PR though by having such serious delays. I feel like they might have rushed it out just to avoid missing the Olympics in a few weeks.
However, the 1DX is definitely not a camera for me.... for me, It just serves as a symbol of what Canon is capable of.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2012, 10:06:55 PM »

stessel tank

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2012, 10:39:07 PM »
Going to Japan in late October will be getting the 1DX before i go hope price and availability in Aust will ok by then,it will be a good upgrade from the 1D3 , can't wait for the camera and the Japan trip.
Canon EOS 1Dx,1D3,5D2
Lens; 50 f1.4,50 f1.2,24-105 f4,70-200 f2.8 IS,300mm f2.8 IS,16-35 f2.8 L 11,1.4 & 2.0 extenders
Speedlites;580 EX11,600EX-RT,STE3-RT,GP-E1

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2012, 10:42:32 PM »

One guy with Canon connections said months ago that we'd soon enough realize that Canon held back their new sensor tech for the 1DX so they could re-use the old lines once more to raise margin on the 5D3 since they felt that all the body upgrades were enough this time to not force their hand at the 100% new sensor tech.

There's a big shock. Canon went all out with the 5D2's sensor and crippled it with a POS body and AF system last round. Now they went all out on body and AF with the 5D3, and crippled the sensor. You mean to tell me companies intentionally position their products to fit within specific subsets of users and price points? What an outrage!

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2012, 10:47:19 PM »
Woke up this morning to find, as expected, a lot of posts in this thread, but boy was it hard work wading through all the D800 and 5D Mark III posts!

I thought the review was very interesting, although I just wish he had kept hold of his 1D Mark IV a little longer so we could have had side by side comparisons of those two cameras.

Am looking forward to even more reviews in the weeks to come.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

D_Rochat

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2012, 10:55:15 PM »

One guy with Canon connections said months ago that we'd soon enough realize that Canon held back their new sensor tech for the 1DX so they could re-use the old lines once more to raise margin on the 5D3 since they felt that all the body upgrades were enough this time to not force their hand at the 100% new sensor tech.

There's a big shock. Canon went all out with the 5D2's sensor and crippled it with a POS body and AF system last round. Now they went all out on body and AF with the 5D3, and crippled the sensor. You mean to tell me companies intentionally position their products to fit within specific subsets of users and price points? What an outrage!

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »
Quote from: Drizzt321
That, and they can also harness the power of mass production to make much of the AF system for both 5d3 & 1DX cheaper on a per unit cost since they share large parts....

AKA, farm it out to slave labor in China. Brilliant! High end gear at "low" prices for those of us who don't care how we get our discounts.

That's what pretty much everyone else does in the electronics (or most other manufacturing) industry. Not saying I personally agree with the policy, at least in so much as the working conditions and pay are, from what I understand, mostly pretty horrible, unsafe, and they are paid almost nothing. Not saying it has to be up to US standards of pay (depending on local costs of living & such), but they really should be safe and have some decent pay.
I live in China, and I'm American. My wife owns a small factory and she sells products to several larger factories, so I have access to several large factories(usually Chinese motorcycle and other engine making factories, nothing anyone in the US has heard of.)
These factories are very very nice and as safe as most any factory around the world(with a little less worry than the US about insurance, etc.)
Pay is not almost nothing, it's actually pretty decent at most large factories.
I have not been to Foxconn, or anything like that... but from the factories I have seen personally, which are not huge international brands(and IMO more likely to be below US standards than Nikon, Canon, Apple factories,) the people are treated very well and have fine working conditions. The pay is average or above average overall for China.
Most people are paid around 200-400 dollars a month. Yes, 400 dollars a month is not much for America... But outside of camera gear, electronics, and fancy foreign food and alcohol, I easily live on 400 dollars a month in China.... And I order tortilla chips online and go out to fancy western bars. I can take my wife to an awesome dinner that is huge(we cant finish it) for 4 dollars. A coca cola is 40 cents here. My phone bill is 6 dollars a month for unlimited minutes and texting. The people who are paid 200 dollars are usually very old and work because they have worked their whole lives and have nothing else to do. There are a couple 75 year old men at my wife's factory that are paid about 200 dollars a month(much less than others.) They were given apt's long ago by the state, and the factory provides meals, pays utilities, etc. These people often don't need to work, and they really don't do much at the factory. They simply help when they can, do paperwork, clean. Many old people here feel that if they quit working, they will die. Often old people who live with their now rich children will go out in the day and collect recycling from garbage cans. Not because they NEED money, but because they want to be active and they feel that people are just throwing away money(recycling is $ to them.) It is part of their culture and they don't want to do nothing.
I am sure that there are factories that are below standards, pay less, are unsafe and do illegal things. But this is not the majority and I can guarantee that it is not the case at Nikon or Canon factories in China....
Me and my wife often talk about Foxconn and are confused about what is going on there, and why they are having such problems. The large motorcycle factories I have seen are exactly the same as large factories I have seen in the US(I used to work in a large mfg facility in Seattle for 2 years.)
Additionally, because of the rise in the middle class, there is a huge shortage of low cost labor here in China so factories are rapidly increasing their pay to attract more workers.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:53:51 PM by EchoLocation »
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

jaduffy007

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 01:06:44 AM »
I'm waiting for DXO to take a crack at it and dp-review. Those are the statistics based reviews. For actual results I prefer http://diglloyd.com/
well worth the subscription give the sheer amount of comparisons using top of the line zeiss glass.

Enthusiastic +1 for diglloyd Lloyd Chambers.  DxO for measurements, Lloyd for real world.  Something is "fishy" at dpreview imo.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:09:28 AM by jaduffy007 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 01:06:44 AM »

jaduffy007

« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2012, 01:08:55 AM »

Thanks for the laugh!

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2012, 03:41:23 AM »
I can take my wife to an awesome dinner that is huge(we cant finish it) for 4 dollars.

I find that hard to believe unless that's mostly rice or you have rather small stomachs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2012, 03:41:23 AM »