July 22, 2018, 08:53:22 AM

Author Topic: Daytime Event Shooting  (Read 12032 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
Re: Daytime Event Shooting
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »
... highlight recovery +100, shadows +100 :-)
100's not high enough :)

Actually, there's a good way even around this: As long as there's any data to recover in highlights and shadows, you can try single image exposure fusion: make 2 virtual copies +-2ev or +-1.5ev, then re-combine them in Photomatrix or with enfuse. I hope Lightroom 5 will have this procedure built-in, very handy, you can even do batch processing this way.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 05:56:14 PM »
Does anybody here ever have to shoot events during the day, such as between 10am and 3pm?  I did yesterday and due to the sun, I missed so many potentially great shots, taken otherwise in proper lighting (morning or evening).  Does this frustrate anyone?  Sorry I'm just venting :)

Get a good flash for filling in shadows, And post-process the RAW's to your tastes.

If there is any posed photos during the event, get a scrim and use it to soften the light above there head. It will get a basic Rembrandt light and looks great. Much simpler than multiple flash setups.

Cant get much simpler than 1 off camera, 1 on shoe plus of course the sun

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 05:58:43 PM »
Does anybody here ever have to shoot events during the day, such as between 10am and 3pm?  I did yesterday and due to the sun, I missed so many potentially great shots, taken otherwise in proper lighting (morning or evening).  Does this frustrate anyone?  Sorry I'm just venting :)

Get a good flash for filling in shadows, And post-process the RAW's to your tastes.

If there is any posed photos during the event, get a scrim and use it to soften the light above there head. It will get a basic Rembrandt light and looks great. Much simpler than multiple flash setups.

I suppose. A Large 60" Scrim can do wonders to soften patched light or harsh direct over head light into stunning light that gives large catchlights in the eyes. Its like carrying a 60" soft box with you. ;D

briansquibb

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »

I suppose. A Large 60" Scrim can do wonders to soften patched light or harsh direct over head light into stunning light that gives large catchlights in the eyes. Its like carrying a 60" soft box with you. ;D

Hope it isn't windy

RLPhoto

• My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »

Hope it isn't windy

Hope you carry sandbags.

briansquibb

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »

Hope it isn't windy

Hope you carry sandbags.

No need when using flash :D

RLPhoto

• My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »

Hope it isn't windy

Hope you carry sandbags.

Windy day + Flash on Stand = Bad Day for your Flash.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 06:12:31 PM »

Hope it isn't windy

Hope you carry sandbags.

Not in my experience - but a 60inch scrim will be off like a kite

RLPhoto

• My Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 06:17:03 PM »

Hope it isn't windy

Hope you carry sandbags.

As long as you dont plan to do anything to soften your flash.

briansquibb

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »

Hope it isn't windy

Hope you carry sandbags.

I guess that is where experience kicks in :D

How you think people shoot flash outdoors in all weathers?

RLPhoto

• My Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »

Hope it isn't windy

Hope you carry sandbags.

I guess that is where experience kicks in :D

How you think people shoot flash outdoors in all weathers?

From Experience, Its usually with a HEAVY SANDBAG Weighting down a Soft box or umbrella to modify the light from the flash to get nice, soft light.

Unless of course, you like Direct Flash... If that's your thing.

briansquibb

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 06:46:23 PM »

From Experience, Its usually with a HEAVY SANDBAG Weighting down a Soft box or umbrella to modify the light from the flash to get nice, soft light.

There are several other options - big softbox is probably less useful. Moving a flash stand and sandbags is entertaining on your own and will lead to missed shots

RLPhoto

• My Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 06:52:40 PM »

There are several other options - big softbox is probably less useful. Moving a flash stand and sandbags is entertaining on your own and will lead to missed shots

Hmmm... Weren't we discussing posed photos? ???

A scrim is 30$, lightweight and easy implement. Give's good light and fixes the issue of 12 o'clock light.

2 Flashes, plus a lightstand and a modifier is much more cumbersome and expensive. Not to mention if its a windy day, you'll need to bust out those sandbags. Don't even mention Canons Optical Flash system working on a super bright day, so even more money on triggers.  <---- I'd bet this would miss more photos.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:55:02 PM by RLPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 06:52:40 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 06:58:11 PM »
OP said event which I am guessing is not a posed shoot else missed shots would not be an issue.

To move the gear around that you are talking about would require assistants. If it was a posed shoot then you would probably not use speedlights, more like Rangers or the like

RLPhoto

• My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »
OP said event which I am guessing is not a posed shoot else missed shots would not be an issue.

To move the gear around that you are talking about would require assistants. If it was a posed shoot then you would probably not use speedlights, more like Rangers or the like

Hmmm... I also remember posting to the OP, That IF there was ANY posed shots, which is not un-common for event's at all, a scrim could be very useful, Lightweight, fast, and effective way to handle 12 o'clock light quickly.

Also, I'm not the one who recommended off-camera flash work.

I simply posted something that has worked very well for me.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:04:21 PM by RLPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »