September 01, 2014, 07:57:53 PM

Author Topic: Cancelled 1dx pre order.  (Read 10168 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Cancelled 1dx pre order.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »
I don't get this:

I canceled my B&H order and if I did not cancel it I would have my 1DX in my hands since I did place my order as soon as it was available... but I am pissed at canon and Abes of Maine for screwing me like this.

Are Canon and Abe's of Maine to blame for you choosing to cancel your order with B&H?  Mine arrived from B&H this past Tuesday.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »

sephknite

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 12:31:45 PM »
For folks that are waiting on pre-orders, I highly recommend Crutchfield. I placed my pre-order on July 5th and got my 1D X yesterday! :D I was on Amazon's pre-order since May 27 and heard nothing from them. Crutchfield has a lot of reps online ready to check your order for you, as well as any questions you may have. They won't charge your credit card until the item is shipped.

As for the comparison between 1D X vs. 5D III, I had considered the 5D III while waiting on my 1D X pre-order like many people. But I considered the shutter life, FPS speed, and higher ISO capabilities and stayed with the 1D X decision. So far, I'm happy with it.  :)

photophreek

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »
sanji wrote:
I guess it is not being compared to 1D4

If you look closer at the chart and click the down arrow beside the box that says "5D III", you will see a list of all canon camera models to compare the 1Dx to.  The test refered to in the link is not a lens test but a test of sharpness/IQ using a standard lens (Canon 200mm f2) with the only variable in the test being the camera body. 

The comparison of the 1Dx and the 5d III indicates(to my eyes) that the 5d III produces slightly sharper images with the standard test lens and the reviewer states that in his review.  He even states that the 1Ds III and the 1D IV are comparable, with the 1D IV edging out the 1Ds III.  BTW, the 1D IV was released at the same time as the 7D.  The review also went on to state that the ISO performance of the 1Dx is better than the 5D III, 1D IV and 1Ds III.  Maybe 2/3 to 1 stop better. 

When the 1Dx was announced last fall, I was ready to buy.  When the 5D III appeared, I questioned my decision to get the 1Dx and asked myself, "why wasn't the 22mp sensor in the 1Dx"?  When I saw these tests and read other tests in the past few days from real world photographers, I've decided to adopt a "wait and see" approach.  I'm not doubting that the 1Dx is a superb and capable camera, but I'm not convinced, right now, that it is $3000 more of a camera than the 5D III,  Sure the 1Dx has a better metering system, faster fps, more customization, ID body, etc, but I'm not completely convinced to pay the extra $3k at this time.  I'm sure I'll get lots of "what are you talking about" responses to my statement. 

I think what I'm going to do is buy the 5D III and use it for a year and wait for the dust to settle on the 1Dx and see what else Canon may announce in the 1-Series FF body.  The 5D III will compliment my new 1D IV nicely and my 7D.  In a year, I can sell the 5D III(or the 1D IV/7D), and get the 1Dx or whatever Canon may announce.     
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:09:11 PM by photophreek »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 12:48:07 PM »
Good analysis except I'd keep my 5D Mark III in a year, and sell the 1D4 and 7D. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

photophreek

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
You are probably right bdunbar79 about what to sell.  I shoot mostly birds/wildlife and need the crop factor for some better reach.  The 1D IV is my first 1-Series body and I'm hooked.  Gripped anything else is not the same and the next body will be a 1-Series something.  I'm in no rush and want to make the best decision with the least amount of compromises.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 01:27:06 PM »
You are probably right bdunbar79 about what to sell.  I shoot mostly birds/wildlife and need the crop factor for some better reach.  The 1D IV is my first 1-Series body and I'm hooked.  Gripped anything else is not the same and the next body will be a 1-Series something.  I'm in no rush and want to make the best decision with the least amount of compromises.

Oh I understand.  Duh, you need the reach.  Yeah in that case the 7D is a good choice.  Wow, you'll have a difficult decision to make! :)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »
Mine arrived from B&H this past Tuesday.

Neuro, I'm curious what your initial impressions are with the beast?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 09:32:50 PM »
but I just cant stand canons arrogance and treating me like this where I already paid full for this sucker :((( Its just not fair.. and CPS reps are not much fun to deal with neither... such a crap

Canon has no particular love for their smaller dealers, either.

I have a local guy who I buy from (when I'm not in a hurry) because I like to help out a local business...especially since he always has chemicals and paper in stock (yes, I still use actual film for some things).  I asked him to order me a short 40 a couple of weeks ago.  It's still not in - and he has no idea when it will be.

So don't take it personally; they mistreat everybody.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
I have a 1dm3, 5Dc, and 5DM3. I could do without the 10fps 1dm3 and i shoot sports and weddings. The 1dx is overkill to me. Its killer in every way but it isn't going to give me an edge i don't get with the 5dm3. Shoot if i could afford the 1dx id go 2-5dm3's. Way better way to go in my opinion. My shooting style is more refined these days so the 10fps for sports is not really important anymore. Still, i am happy for the 1dx owners.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 12:56:34 AM »
I don't get it.
Why are people comparing the 5D3 to the 1DX?
They're not made to be in the same league.
Shouldn't you compare the 1DX to the D4 instead?
The fact that the 1DX IS 2X the price of a 5D3, it has got to be better..it's made by the same manufacturer so definately they would want their flagship model to be better than it's junior.
But is it 2x better? I really don't think so.
Being a flagship model, it has to be the best in the entire range so if you can afford it, go for it. If you need it, go for it.
If you don't know if you want it, chances are you don't need it.

I'm just happy that it isn't 2x better, it just makes my 5D3 feel more "worthwhile" although it is still expensive.

It is not that difficult for me to understand why people are comparing 5d3 to 1dx. My take:
5d3 comes out and works very well. Then 1dx comes out (costs a lot more) so everyone wants to see how better it is to 5d3 for the money.

I guess it is not being compared to 1D4 as that camera's life cycle is over and 5d3 is current. Compare current cameras...

The poster above you was referring to the Nikon D4, their new flagship pro body, NOT the Canon 1Dmk4.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 01:45:54 AM »
sanji wrote:
I guess it is not being compared to 1D4

If you look closer at the chart and click the down arrow beside the box that says "5D III", you will see a list of all canon camera models to compare the 1Dx to.  The test refered to in the link is not a lens test but a test of sharpness/IQ using a standard lens (Canon 200mm f2) with the only variable in the test being the camera body. 

The comparison of the 1Dx and the 5d III indicates(to my eyes) that the 5d III produces slightly sharper images with the standard test lens and the reviewer states that in his review.  He even states that the 1Ds III and the 1D IV are comparable, with the 1D IV edging out the 1Ds III.  BTW, the 1D IV was released at the same time as the 7D.  The review also went on to state that the ISO performance of the 1Dx is better than the 5D III, 1D IV and 1Ds III.  Maybe 2/3 to 1 stop better. 

When the 1Dx was announced last fall, I was ready to buy.  When the 5D III appeared, I questioned my decision to get the 1Dx and asked myself, "why wasn't the 22mp sensor in the 1Dx"?  When I saw these tests and read other tests in the past few days from real world photographers, I've decided to adopt a "wait and see" approach.  I'm not doubting that the 1Dx is a superb and capable camera, but I'm not convinced, right now, that it is $3000 more of a camera than the 5D III,  Sure the 1Dx has a better metering system, faster fps, more customization, ID body, etc, but I'm not completely convinced to pay the extra $3k at this time.  I'm sure I'll get lots of "what are you talking about" responses to my statement. 

Very well put. :)

I think what I'm going to do is buy the 5D III and use it for a year and wait for the dust to settle on the 1Dx and see what else Canon may announce in the 1-Series FF body.  The 5D III will compliment my new 1D IV nicely and my 7D.  In a year, I can sell the 5D III(or the 1D IV/7D), and get the 1Dx or whatever Canon may announce.   

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 04:21:34 AM »
Besides the tests are a 100% crop. So the difference would be much less in full size photos.

But still confused..

briansquibb

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 06:33:47 AM »

If that what was said then I would suggest the reviewer's conclusions do not match the real world

Upto iso 400  -  the 1D4 does not give a comparable image to the 1Ds3. The 1DS3 wins hands down. No noise  on the 1DS3 upto iso 200 - quite astonishing as is the contrast and colour rendition.

The 1DS3 only goes to iso1600 so to compare iso performance is meaningless

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 06:33:47 AM »

HarryWintergreen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 07:01:21 AM »
supposed 5DIIi and 1D X had identical IQ, would this rid you of the urge to have the 1D X? If the answer is yes then you definitely do not need the 1D X.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 07:52:55 AM »
supposed 5DIIi and 1D X had identical IQ, would this rid you of the urge to have the 1D X? If the answer is yes then you definitely do not need the 1D X.

Well yeah I was expecting better IQ right from ISO 100 till 3200. (Beyond that I think the noise is bit much for me in any camera currently.)

But of course there are other things also I was lusting for. But if the first and foremost criteria is not fulfilled, the rest do not justify the extra $3000.

My other thought is to sell the 5d3 and buy the 1dx instead. The catch for me is that I run a small camera rental business for students that make shorts on video and they rent my 5d3.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 07:52:55 AM »