September 20, 2014, 02:29:51 AM

Author Topic: Canon 1DX - AFMA reset when I turn off the camera (workaround found)  (Read 18258 times)

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 1DX - AFMA reset when I turn off the camera (workaround found)
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2012, 05:14:22 PM »
I did a similar test with my 70-200 II .. I didn't even try entering the settings, I noticed that the serial wasn't being detected; manually input them.Power off /on... it detected a new lens. unmount /mount lens. serial number (that I had inputed manually) is now showing..

So.. same problem I guess.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2012, 05:14:22 PM »

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2012, 05:31:04 PM »
One more thing worth noting..

I tried my 100mm L , 85 1.2, 16-35 II, and 50 1.4 and all had the same issue like the 70-200.. the camera wouldn't recognize the serial on its own.,

the 8-15 fisheye, however, did recognize the serial and I tried saving the settings for AFMA and they worked..

Figures... the camera isn't recognizing the lenses!!!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »
I think that only the relatively new lenses are chipped for serial number, i.e. lenses designed after Canon decided to add that feature to the 1D X.  A CPN article states, " If the serial number of your lens isn't detected it's possible to register a serial number for a lens within the camera menu."

My 70-200 II serial number was never detected, my 40mm f/2.8 pancake serial number is shown, even as the AFMA values for it are zeroed out.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2012, 06:11:15 PM »
I think that only the relatively new lenses are chipped for serial number, i.e. lenses designed after Canon decided to add that feature to the 1D X.  A CPN article states, " If the serial number of your lens isn't detected it's possible to register a serial number for a lens within the camera menu."

My 70-200 II serial number was never detected, my 40mm f/2.8 pancake serial number is shown, even as the AFMA values for it are zeroed out.

So your setting for the 40mm is being lost, eventhough it's being recognized by the camera.. Euff.. will try the 8-15 one more time.

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2012, 06:18:09 PM »
I tried the 8-15.. settings are saved.. tried changing the lens.. (the 50 1.4) is being recognized as "01" meaning it's thinking that it's another 50 1.4.. turned off the camera, attached the 8-15.. settings are retained!!

I can't make any sense from this..

trowski

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »

So your setting for the 40mm is being lost, eventhough it's being recognized by the camera.. Euff.. will try the 8-15 one more time.

The camera isn't recognizing the lens has having been previously registered with an AFMA value. It still reads the model name and serial number off the lens just fine. Like John said, lenses released before 2011 (even if they were purchased after then) do not have the serial number on the chip. For example, I have a 70-200mm IS II that was purchased in mid-2011 that does not show a serial number on the 1D X (and on the 5DIII).

I tried the 8-15.. settings are saved.. tried changing the lens.. (the 50 1.4) is being recognized as "01" meaning it's thinking that it's another 50 1.4.. turned off the camera, attached the 8-15.. settings are retained!!

The camera numbers lenses sequentially, regardless of the model. So you have the 8-15mm registered in slot [00]. When you mounted the 50mm 1.4, that lens was set to be registered in slot [01]. If you didn't register a value and mounted another lens, it would still show [01]. If you did register a value for the 50mm 1.4, then mounting a third lens would show [02].
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:39:06 PM by trowski »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2012, 08:33:51 PM »
Ok, decided not to wait. So, I went through and took iPhone pics of my settings screens, then did a Clear All Camera Settings (Setup menu 4) and Clear All Custom Functions (C.Fn menu 7).  After that, AFMA is behaving normally!!

I'll re-enter all my settings later, and see if it breaks again. But so far, it seems we're back in business... :)

Thanks again, Trowski!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2012, 08:33:51 PM »

trowski

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2012, 08:36:57 PM »
Through some experimentation, I think I determined which setting is the culprit: Orientation linked AF point. With it set to Same for both vert/horiz (the default), the lens appears to always be correctly recognized in the AFMA menu. If it is set to Select separate AF points, the camera never recognizes the lens as having been registered in the AFMA menu after sleeping then wake.

Seems like a crazy correlation, but that is what appears to be happening. Looks like the three 1D X's that Canon tested had this setting on the default value.

Try changing this John, lets see if it works on your camera too.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:45:00 PM by trowski »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2012, 09:06:23 PM »
Through some experimentation, I think I determined which setting is the culprit: Orientation linked AF point. With it set to Same for both vert/horiz (the default), the lens appears to always be correctly recognized in the AFMA menu. If it is set to Select separate AF points, the camera never recognizes the lens as having been registered in the AFMA menu after sleeping then wake.

Seems like a crazy correlation, but that is what appears to be happening. Looks like the three 1D X's that Canon tested had this setting on the default value.

Try changing this John, lets see if it works on your camera too.

Indeed, that is the case for me, as well.  I've just emailed Canon Tech support (have been having an onging dialog with them), and I would think they should be able to duplicate the issue.  I'll let you know their response.  Further, this makes it almost certainly a firmware issue.

To sum up: 

With AF4 menu option Orientation Linked AF Point set to the default of Same for Both Vert/Horiz, behavior of the AFMA setting is normal. But, when it's set to Select Separate AF Points (which mine was), the AFMA zeroing out occurs.

Simply changing that one setting from default 'breaks' the AFMA behavior, resulting in the phenomenon shown in my video, and resetting that one setting to default restores the correct behavior.

That one setting seems to account for affected vs. unaffected users, though additional confirmation by others would be appreciated.

This is what I stated in my first post on the issue:

I can't see how it can be anything but a firmware issue, and I would bet it's a bug triggered by other settings...

Your excellent detective work found the specific setting that's the culprit.  Thanks again!    ;D

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2012, 01:30:24 AM »
Just check mine and yes, turning off and on the linked AF points does make the problem appear and disappear.  I think you have found the issue.  I also figured out that my issue earlier about losing the direct AF point feature was actually caused by using C1 or C2 settings.  You have to set this feature in your C modes as well as the AFMA settings.  Changing to a C mode will zero out your AFMA settings if you had not set them and saved them in the C mode first.
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2012, 04:13:24 AM »
Just check mine and yes, turning off and on the linked AF points does make the problem appear and disappear.

Thanks!

...as well as the AFMA settings.  Changing to a C mode will zero out your AFMA settings if you had not set them and saved them in the C mode first.

That shouldn't be the case.  At least, it's not for me (nor on my 5DII or 7D).

ThomasBx

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »
I tried with 2 lens : EF 16-35 L II and EF 40 STM.
Before I clear all camera settings (setup menu 4) and clear all custom functions (C.Fn menu 7). 
Indeed, this solution works... but partially.
I explain : the EF 40 STM have a chip with the serial number, the EF 16-35 no.
If I enter a serial number for the 16-35 and micro-adjustement setting, then I change lens with the pancake 40mm, the camera recognizes a new lens...
Finally, do not enter a serial number for lens that do not...for backing settings.
But it works randomly...

Trowski put his finger on the problem : there is indeed a firmware bug.

ThomasBx

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2012, 09:15:19 AM »
I continued my test with EF 24-105L f/4 IS and EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II.
This two lens haven't chip serial number, the 1DX not recognizes the serial number lens.
My 40mm STM pancake have a chip serial number, the 1Dx recognize serial number lens
For the lens have serial number, it works correctly, you can switch lens, the settings are saving.
But for the lens haven't chip serial number, the settings are not recorded, the camera see each time a new lens.
Made the test with your lens, switch between several lens.
I hope Canon saw this problem...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2012, 09:15:19 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2012, 09:27:52 AM »
I tried with 2 lens : EF 16-35 L II and EF 40 STM.
Before I clear all camera settings (setup menu 4) and clear all custom functions (C.Fn menu 7). 
Indeed, this solution works... but partially.
I explain : the EF 40 STM have a chip with the serial number, the EF 16-35 no.
If I enter a serial number for the 16-35 and micro-adjustement setting, then I change lens with the pancake 40mm, the camera recognizes a new lens...
Finally, do not enter a serial number for lens that do not...for backing settings.
But it works randomly...

Not sure I understand...    After entering a serial number and AFMAs for the 70-200 II (not chipped for serial number), I can switch back and forth between the 70-200 II and the 40mm pancake, and the AFMA and serial number are retained and shown (as long as the orientation-linked AF point setting is left on default).

Can you explain in more detail, please?

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2012, 10:29:28 AM »

The camera isn't recognizing the lens has having been previously registered with an AFMA value. It still reads the model name and serial number off the lens just fine. Like John said, lenses released before 2011 (even if they were purchased after then) do not have the serial number on the chip. For example, I have a 70-200mm IS II that was purchased in mid-2011 that does not show a serial number on the 1D X (and on the 5DIII).

The camera numbers lenses sequentially, regardless of the model. So you have the 8-15mm registered in slot [00]. When you mounted the 50mm 1.4, that lens was set to be registered in slot [01]. If you didn't register a value and mounted another lens, it would still show [01]. If you did register a value for the 50mm 1.4, then mounting a third lens would show [02].

Yes.. I mistakenly thought "each" lens started it's own numbering... I just checked the settings for the "orientation linked AF point" and it was "Same for both vert/horiz".

so that's why the settings for the 8-15 were being saved..  will try to change it to "select separate AF points" and try the 8-15 again.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2012, 10:29:28 AM »