September 18, 2014, 01:58:10 AM

Author Topic: Sell 5D2 for a 1Ds 3  (Read 5783 times)

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Sell 5D2 for a 1Ds 3
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:24:36 PM »
Hello All,

I need some help, would you even consider selling your 5D2 for £1,000 ( I have a buyer, comes completer with original canon grip , I've had it a while with a 67K shutter count,

for a

Used 1Ds 3 looks very good condition, I don't know how well used yet, (comes without a battery charger and I have checked the price of these!! whoooa, seen ebay have 3rd party ones cheap, any experience on these?

anyway the 1Ds 3 is £1,700

i would have to add 700 basically for better AF and build, would it be worth it, as I can sell my 5D2 for 1k?

thank in advance, I am so stuck and want to upgrade, I don't care to lose video at all, and I'm not interested in the 5D3 due to insane pricing,

what do I do?

Louis

canon rumors FORUM

Sell 5D2 for a 1Ds 3
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:24:36 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
Re: Sell 5D2 for a 1Ds 3
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
Get the 1ds, do it now! All usable focus points! Better sensor for details built to last! But if the weight upsets you more than anything it would be the reason to not get it. That doesn't look to be the case here though. It's the top flagship, way better than a 5dm2.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »
Thank you Bosman this is the kind of reply I really wanted :)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »
It seems like a good deal on the surface.  Its puzzling to my as to why the price of a 1DsIII has dropped so sharply.  As long as you don't mind the weight, and have a use for the extra features, go for it.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 06:49:18 PM »
You are welcome Louis. Post some new images from the 1ds3 on this thread after you get a few nice shots!
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »
Thank you guys, do you know of any BIG known problems with the 1Ds 3 I am not familar with the camera, I have held it once and love the style, and feel, but I dont know of any complaints, Ive tried searching the forum, but too many other threads appear, thanks again

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »
Hello All,

I need some help, would you even consider selling your 5D2 for £1,000 ( I have a buyer, comes completer with original canon grip , I've had it a while with a 67K shutter count,

for a

Used 1Ds 3 looks very good condition, I don't know how well used yet, (comes without a battery charger and I have checked the price of these!! whoooa, seen ebay have 3rd party ones cheap, any experience on these?

anyway the 1Ds 3 is £1,700

i would have to add 700 basically for better AF and build, would it be worth it, as I can sell my 5D2 for 1k?

thank in advance, I am so stuck and want to upgrade, I don't care to lose video at all, and I'm not interested in the 5D3 due to insane pricing,

what do I do?

Louis
since you use a grip anyway for me thats a no brainer. absolutely!
however 1 caveat the 1Dsmk3 still uses digic 3 processors and the 5Dmk2 uses digic 4 so the 1Ds feels alot slower writting the buffer vs the 5Dmk2
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:31:27 PM »
Thank you guys, do you know of any BIG known problems with the 1Ds 3 I am not familar with the camera, I have held it once and love the style, and feel, but I dont know of any complaints, Ive tried searching the forum, but too many other threads appear, thanks again
None that i have ever heard.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 07:38:39 PM »

I own the 1Ds Mark III.  I cannot recommend selling your 5D Mark II over purchasing this camera.  From ISO 50-200 it is absolutely brilliant and will destroy your 5D Mark II images.  However, above 400 and higher the camera does not perform nearly as well.  The 1Ds Mark III is not a low-light camera.  I have it in supplement to my 5D Mark III cameras.  If you need high ISO, this is not the camera to get.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 08:18:24 PM »
bdunbar79 does not having better AF and build / focus points, out weigh Iso issues? Im find my AF to be the hardest thing to deal with?

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »
bdunbar79 does not having better AF and build / focus points, out weigh Iso issues? Im find my AF to be the hardest thing to deal with?

Louis,

Please don't underestimate the power of the camera.  I was just pointing out the negatives before you purchased this camera because no matter how good of a deal you have found, it is going to cost some money.  The advantages of the 1Ds Mark III are that it has much better AF, better build, active-AF spot metering (very useful), and brilliant colors from ISO 50-200.  The colors are something extra special and I can share some photos with you if you'd like.  The saturated colors go very deep into the photo even in landscape shots, something you won't see with the 5D Mark II.  Great camera.

The negatives I already touched on.  In manual mode there is no auto ISO of course, it does not do well at higher ISO's (max 3200), and it has the DIGIC III processor. 

The negatives may not be an issue for you.  It does indeed depend on what you need the camera for.  More lighting, yes get the 1Ds 3.  If you're going to shoot weddings, don't get it.  You'll have to make that decision. I too owned the 5D Mark II before the Mark III, so I know exactly what you are talking about.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 09:02:13 PM »
1Ds3 is the best portrait camera canon has ever made. Buy it if you do alot of portraits.

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 09:08:42 PM »
Thank you so much for your great replies, I'm mainly a Street / Reportage / Landscape photographer, I don't do many weddings at all, even though I should :) I will miss high iso no doubt, but I never really shot higher than 1600 anyway with my 5D2,

Louis

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 09:08:42 PM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 09:10:27 PM »
You can also do sports with the 1Ds 3 due to its advanced AF system.  However, you need a lot of light.  Daytime sports works great.  You won't be doing indoor basketball or night football with it though.  It is a great portrait lens, again, because of sufficient light and low ISO.  The color rendition and saturation of a portrait shot with a 1Ds3 and 135 f/2L lens will be magical compared to that of the 5D Mark II with the same lens.  If you do buy one, just make sure the sensor is clean and try to get as mint condition and low shutter count of one as possible.

There's probably a funding strategy here for you to sell your 5D2 to purchase the 1Ds3, so I imagine I cannot talk you into also keeping your 5D2?  ;D

Edit:  Regarding your last post, you'll melt when you see how deep your color rendition and saturation go into your landscape shots. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:13:55 PM by bdunbar79 »
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »
as if i were you, i would like to keep the 5d mark ii and save $700 since 5d mark ii is better in performance and technology (personal thought)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »