September 21, 2014, 06:29:49 AM

Author Topic: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx  (Read 457528 times)

gary samples

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx
« Reply #2580 on: March 25, 2014, 01:18:31 PM »
Great portraits and the large aperture really makes the eyes pop. I'm wondering about your WB though, is it on purpose the cooler color tone? For the little girl, I would have preferred a warmer tone. I find the ColorChecker passport awesome for easy and accurate color managing.
  it would be nice if you could post some of your work of higher quality so I can see how it's done !
have a nice day.

I was just a question if you chose the cooler color on purpose. I took your jpeg and ran it through a quick Lightroom run, and just a simple tune of your own very nice picture.

you hit the nail on the head you like warmer I like cooler   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2580 on: March 25, 2014, 01:18:31 PM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: March 25, 2014, 01:29:57 PM »
Great portraits and the large aperture really makes the eyes pop. I'm wondering about your WB though, is it on purpose the cooler color tone? For the little girl, I would have preferred a warmer tone. I find the ColorChecker passport awesome for easy and accurate color managing.
  it would be nice if you could post some of your work of higher quality so I can see how it's done !
have a nice day.

I was just a question if you chose the cooler color on purpose. I took your jpeg and ran it through a quick Lightroom run, and just a simple tune of your own very nice picture.

Yup!

Not sure if my version disappears from this thread, but I'll remove my upload since it's not my picture.

*EDIT* Yup, it's gone.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: March 26, 2014, 01:36:38 AM »
I will take criticism openly. I am here for that.

1dx. Zeiss 35mm f1.4

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #2583 on: March 26, 2014, 03:09:22 AM »

1dx. Zeiss 35mm f1.4

I like this picture: the two bicycles are really sharp and this offsets the smooth bokeh of the background. The track disappearing in both view and focus suggests the 'bikes have come from, or are going somewhere together. The roses in the basket of one bike suggests a man and woman together, and the picture asks the viewer to question where they are when it's being taken.

There's also a huge EV range. I'm not sure if you've reflected or filled the 'bikes but the range has been dealt well with by both the photographer and camera; another couple of stops of DR wouldn't have held sky detail when shooting straight into the sun.

This is my Dr Bean analysis of the image  ;)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: March 26, 2014, 03:53:18 AM »
Thank you Mr. Bean much!
I did not reflect light on the bikes, just opened it up in PS...

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: March 26, 2014, 04:15:34 AM »

1dx. Zeiss 35mm f1.4

Your photo has a calming influence on me...the scene is so peaceful.   I like it.

Question, is that smoke in the background? 

Take care,
North
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: March 26, 2014, 06:13:44 AM »

1dx. Zeiss 35mm f1.4

Your photo has a calming influence on me...the scene is so peaceful.   I like it.

Question, is that smoke in the background? 

Take care,
North

Hi North.
Yes, that is smoke. :)
I burnt some leaves trying to create a shaft but the sun was already too high...
Thx!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2586 on: March 26, 2014, 06:13:44 AM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: March 28, 2014, 01:51:53 AM »
Sanj, it has less color saturation than I like, but the overall composition works pretty well.  I bet you love that Zeiss lens!

As for the sky being blown out...I'm not sure 2 more stops would have gotten it all, but it wouldn't have hurt (also unsure why we'd speculate about it unless someone is suggesting a D800...which I would not...and the D800 isn't quite 2 extra stops anyway, is it?).  The sky isn't all that important to this composition, though.  It's just the way it gets blown out, around the edges of the trees, is not all that pleasant.

I doubt I could have done any better, but what I would have done, would probably be composed differently.  I can only guess.

I do like the wide cinemascope aspect, it works well!  Kind of looks like a still from a video...I know you're a cinematographer, so that is likely where you are coming from here.  I sympathize, I've wanted to make movies since I was a kid!

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: March 28, 2014, 01:44:12 PM »
Winter is over and I need to start practicing with the long lenses again. This is The Local Lion assessing his territory on a late March afternoon. I never get tired of looking at how animal eyes and fur is replicated in an image.
If you expand this to 200% and look at his left eye (right from your perspective). How much more resolution do you need?
1DX, 600/4 IS II, 1/640s, f5,0 ISO100
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:36:40 PM by Eldar »
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

gary samples

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: March 28, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
Winter is over and I need to start practicing with the long lenses again. This is The Local Lion assessing his territory on a late March afternoon. I never get tired of looking at how animal eyes and fur is replicated in an image.
If you expand this to 200% and look at his left eye (right from your perspective). How much more resolution do you need?
1DX, 600/4 IS II, 1/640s, f5,0 ISO100
always love to get out the long glass !

Arctic Photo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: March 28, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »
have a nice day.

I normally like warmer tones, but I often overcook it. I wouldn't dare to judge your work, you're one of the guys here I follow and try to learn from. I hope to have some picd to post here soon as I have an exciting portrait shoot coming up. But as I haven2got a 1D I will post in the 5DMkIII thread and B&W as that's my preferred. .

gary samples

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: March 28, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »
have a nice day.

I normally like warmer tones, but I often overcook it. I wouldn't dare to judge your work, you're one of the guys here I follow and try to learn from. I hope to have some picd to post here soon as I have an exciting portrait shoot coming up. But as I haven2got a 1D I will post in the 5DMkIII thread and B&W as that's my preferred. .
thanks I have a few more to put up. and will be looking for yours  I'm just getting set up  for portraits most of the time I just post random shots not looking to much at post work. I never try to show my best work! the shots I just put up was to show the lighting the new rig was putting out .  I could see he wasn't trying to be Wiener! but some times it's hard to tell here a lot tell you how to do it and don't own a camera ! 

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: March 28, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
Sanj, it has less color saturation than I like, but the overall composition works pretty well.  I bet you love that Zeiss lens!

As for the sky being blown out...I'm not sure 2 more stops would have gotten it all, but it wouldn't have hurt (also unsure why we'd speculate about it unless someone is suggesting a D800...which I would not...and the D800 isn't quite 2 extra stops anyway, is it?).  The sky isn't all that important to this composition, though.  It's just the way it gets blown out, around the edges of the trees, is not all that pleasant.

I doubt I could have done any better, but what I would have done, would probably be composed differently.  I can only guess.

I do like the wide cinemascope aspect, it works well!  Kind of looks like a still from a video...I know you're a cinematographer, so that is likely where you are coming from here.  I sympathize, I've wanted to make movies since I was a kid!

Carl: Thx.Yep, perhaps little fill light would have helped reduce the overall exposure a bit. But not sure if that would have looked better. I find myself cropping 'cinemascope' kind often... :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2592 on: March 28, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »

Arctic Photo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: March 29, 2014, 01:59:46 AM »
have a nice day.

thanks I have a few more to put up. and will be looking for yours  I'm just getting set up  for portraits most of the time I just post random shots not looking to much at post work. I never try to show my best work! the shots I just put up was to show the lighting the new rig was putting out .  I could see he wasn't trying to be Wiener! but some times it's hard to tell here a lot tell you how to do it and don't own a camera !
Ha ha, or they own very many cameras but don't have a clue on how to use them.  Well, I'll keep following you and learn. Should have the first results from that shoot ready in a month.

Take care!

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: March 30, 2014, 06:46:16 AM »

Carl: Thx.Yep, perhaps little fill light would have helped reduce the overall exposure a bit. But not sure if that would have looked better. I find myself cropping 'cinemascope' kind often... :)

You're welcome.  I agree, fill light would have made the dark area beside the bicycles...not dark enough...at least if it were bright enough to bring the sky level down in proportion.  A grad filter would have helped, because then you could capture it all in one shot...then bring the sky back up in post, to where it appears to blow out, but the trees wouldn't have harsh-clipped at the edges (because the grad filter at capture would have nulled it).  But I hate to mess with grad filters on camera, myself.  Takes too much time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2594 on: March 30, 2014, 06:46:16 AM »